The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-08-2019, 10:32 PM

Default Vocal/Singing forum similar to this one?

I’m sure I speak for many when I say this website is awesome and addicting. The first time I visited here, it was if I crawled out of a cave. That being said, for many of us, playing guitar and singing go hand in hand. Does anybody know of a website similar to this one, but for singing and vocals? I know it might be hard to find a singing forum as good as this guitar forum. But the next closest thing would be appreciated. -Thanks-
Old 03-09-2019, 07:30 AM

Well, nobody has answered you. So, I will try to get the ball rolling.
I think you might be on to something.
I don't know of a forum that specifically addresses this. It is kind of a hybrid thing. The interaction of the human voice and the guitar.
I know nothing about "voice", per se'. Most of the reason I play guitar is to accompany my singing. That seems pretty straight forward and many of us do that. But like many things, I will bet there are all sorts of approaches, tecniques, tricks etc. that could be of help to many, and having a specific place to share guitar-song threads could be of value.

So, maybe this could be a regular sub-category like some of the other regular ones?

Any professional voice/guitar people on board on AGF?

Not wanting to overstep myself, just posing questions.

For any of the administrators, could this become a new category?

To the OP, there's my two cents worth. Best I can do.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
Well, nobody has answered you. So, I will try to get the ball rolling.
I think you might be on to something.
I don't know of a forum that specifically addresses this. It is kind of a hybrid thing. The interaction of the human voice and the guitar.
I know nothing about "voice", per se'. Most of the reason I play guitar is to accompany my singing. That seems pretty straight forward and many of us do that. But like many things, I will bet there are all sorts of approaches, tecniques, tricks etc. that could be of help to many, and having a specific place to share guitar-song threads could be of value.

So, maybe this could be a regular sub-category like some of the other regular ones?

Any pro voice people on board on AGF?

Not wanting to overstep myself, just posing questions.

For any of the administrators, could this become a new category?

To the OP, there's my two cents worth. Best I can do.
This would be great! I would tune in to a sub forum like this.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 03-09-2019, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Any decision on subforums is completely up to our owner, Mr. J.R. Rogers. You're welcome to take your requests to him. In all honesty, most requests for other subforums aren't successful because we already have 23 of them. But JR will listen and consider your opinions. Just in my time as a mod, we've added or altered three subforums. So, anything is possible.

In this thread, please bear in mind that it is against AGF rules to discuss competitor forums. The decision was made a long time ago to stop promoting them, so we appreciate your cooperation.

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-09-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:50 AM

I think a vocal subforum is a great idea, but then I would...I'm a singer.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-09-2019, 10:23 AM

I agree It would be a great addition
Old 03-09-2019, 11:52 AM

There would certainly be a lot of information to be gained that way. Most of us learned to sing organically (without instruction or technique) and reading about some shortcuts and advice would be useful. Rather than a separate forum or a dedicated room here, maybe just start a thread and see what happens?
Old 03-09-2019, 12:14 PM

I always say "I shouldn't sing, but I do." I was just talking to a friend and fellow musician at a show last night, and we both regretted not joining choir as school kids. My daughter has been in choir since grade school and she truly has a beautiful voice plus she knows how to use it. My wife started singing in our church choir (which happens to be led by my daughter's former high school choir director) and her voice has improved too. So yes I would like to explore a sub-forum for singing.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:27 PM

Yeah it is tough to have so many sub forums, and you would think it could go under the "Play and Write" forum. Maybe could just modify the name.

If a new one was created, the name might be..."Singing and Playing".

Since singing is not my strength, I would be reading what the singers have to say.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 03-09-2019, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

I think you can already use the "Play and Write" sub-forum as your platform... it's woefully under-used at this point.

Of course, consistent with much advice about playing, the key is to practice, keep working it; learning about my craft has been a life-long endeavor, thus far...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 03-10-2019, 06:13 AM

I'm convinced that the largest percentage of regularly active participants in this forum don't sing, are soloists and play finger style. Not much interest in a singer's sub forum. Somebody convince me I'm wrong.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-11-2019, 08:02 PM

I like the idea. There are so many tips and tricks.

1. Feeling each word
2. Phrasing each vowel
3. Linking parts of a line together
4. Interpreting songs in different ways
5. Locating your unique tone
6. Legato
7. Adding percussive elements
8. Country twang
9. Broadway musical and theatrical singing
10. Matching key to your own best voice

This list goes on forever...also citing great singers, discussing singer songwriters, vocal care, warm ups, setting goals. Dealing with difficult passages.

There is so much lack of self confidence in singing and so many "friends" can be so critical as to make you give up. I was told for years I had a terrible voice until one friend said it was great. Then I trained even harder and now I make $$ doing it. So many players here never believe in themselves or cannot afford the $60 an hour an up it takes to get a pro coach. Audience members tell me I have a blend of Don Henley and Randy Travis in my country pipes now. There are songs I do. Songs I work on for months then do. Songs I work on for months then realize I cannot do justice to....Then there is my rock repetoire which took years to develop, given I have a high bass range and rock is all about tenors and soaring highs....you never know what you can do until you try..

Also, singing and dementia....TONS of research showing it slows its progression or delays its onset. We could all use a bit of that.

I say its great idea.

Last edited by Davis Webb; 03-11-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:12 PM

I had to add one tip that is powerful, just a taste.

I have a vocal effects unit with pitch correction. I sang all my material through it with pitch correction on. That allowed me to do gospel pentatonic vocal runs, really soar, stuff I had only dreamed of. I used it performing on "soft pitch correct" for a season.

Then I turned it off and guess what? I now sounded like that without it. So pitch correct/autotune lets you hear what the notes SHOULD sound like. Then when you sing without it, you have a reference value.

Stuff like this...hot pro tips.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:52 AM

All good tips DW. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like we need a poll.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 03-12-2019, 02:35 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I'm not shouting (or singing) for another sub category, but I agree that there IS much to learn about singing. It is another instruments and a wonderful way to express and to communicate.

Back in the '60/'70s I made every mistake in the book, and learned very slowly.
Then in the '80s (?) I went to a girl who announced at a club that she was to become a singing teacher - I was her first student.

In a few short weeks she taught me soooo much, gave me pretty simple understanding of breathing, and gave me confidence - which instantly doubles/triples your vocal strength.

Then, I learned by listening about the stage craft and story telling aspects that are really much the same as Davis Webb has mentioned.

In 2017 I had treatment for tongue cancer and lost my ability to speak properly and simply couldn't sing. My hearing, strength neck and mouth have been damaged by the radio therapy ... so I've had to relearn all these things and, I'm told, I've got it back again.

I run an Acoustic Music Club and I see people making all the same mistakes.

I'd be happy to contribute as best I can, and it's given me an idea for (yet another) YouTube Video, although I know there are already many excellent ones on this subject.

Like riding a bike, swimming, and so many other things, lack of self confidence is the biggest barrier, and finding the self confidence to do it, makes it so much easier, and enjoyable.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 03-12-2019 at 03:01 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic