The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-03-2019, 05:20 AM

Default Fake D'Addario Strings

I had no idea how rife faking of D'Addario strings was until I did an internet search just now. I recently bought some EJ45s to use on my Furch nylon and only realised something was amiss when the B and G strings were all over the place compared to the others. Entering the code on the packaging into D'addario's Play Real app told me that the code had already been used and so it was likely that I had fakes.

Here's the thing that surprised me: although the strings are dreadful the packaging is faultless. I've been comparing it to a genuine set of EJ44c that I have and even though I know the new packaging is fake I can't tell that by looking.

They were purchased from a well known auction website and I'm now raising a dispute with the seller. And a valuable lesson has been learned: from now on I'll only buy from the few companies I really trust. I'm sure many of you learned that lesson years ago but for anyone else - be careful out there
Old 03-03-2019, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

I use D'addario, which I buy via ebay.
The sellers are two very well known dealers, who choose to sell through ebay rather than through their own system.

I have had issues with D'addario once or twice (or thrice) but as their customer service is very good and quick.
As someone there once explained that their strings can only be batch tested, and if something is "off" in the manufacturing process, it could affect a lot of, say, on gauge of one string alloy.

I suggest that you contact D'addario direct about this issue. I'm sure that they will be interested and want to compensate you.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:49 AM
Musical minimalist

Here's a thread regarding this issue at Delcamp:

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.c...ic.php?t=91148

And a PDF from D'addario about fake steel strings:

http://www.daddario.com/upload/DABR_...wRes_15727.pdf

Old 03-03-2019, 08:54 AM

I'll only buy strings from a reputable dealer just because fakes are out there. Great that D'Addario has that app to check the strings.
Sorry to hear about your experience. Let us know if you get your money back.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:31 PM

Thanks all for the views/comments/links.

I completed D'Addario's online form when the code failed and they seemed interested to know where I bought them from. My feeling is that if it is as rife as it seems then they probably won't have the time to look into it individually, especially as I am in the UK. Maybe I have that wrong, though.

I feel sure that the auction site will do the right thing, but as much as getting my money back (it was only a few pounds) I want to stop these goons selling fake stuff to someone else.

I'll make sure I post as to how it all turns out.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:59 PM

I was fortunate enough to tour D’Addario a few months ago and had a chat with their corporate council on this subject. It is a big problem for them. One example is they sell a great number of product to a large on line retailer. That retailer also sells all sorts of things from other folks. Some of those folks are selling counterfeit strings. The on line retailer’s position is that they do not verify what their partners are selling is genuine. They will however take action if a vendor to them is PROVEN to be selling counterfeit product.

It’s such a big problem that D’Addario was contacted by US Customs to come and check out a shipment of D’Addario guitars from China. D’Addario has never made a guitar for sale.

He also said D’Addario does own their trademark in China. That is some help. Apparently Martin does not. Another group in China owns the trade mark and can legally make guitars and strings with the Martin logo and are not in violation of Chinese law. They can even import them here legally as long as they present them as made in China.

The Intellectual Property laws in the US need some serious updating in light of things like this.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:22 PM

I heard about the fakes early on. Although I usually buy my strings online, I check each box code against the D'Addario website. So far, I've been lucky. They've always been verified authentic.

The creepy bottom-feeders are tireless and relentless. I bought a Shure SM58 at a local GC instead of ordering online due to the number of complaints from people who received knock-offs.
I still checked the microphone for signs of counterfeiting.
Once again, I was lucky.

It's sad. I've always wondered why so many people spend so much of their time and effort scamming people when their talents would probably be better applied to legitimate products or activities. When I retire I hope to live a reasonable comfortable life without having to look over my shoulder.
I guess their comeuppance is...I often hear of people who stuffed their pockets scamming, conning, and stealing who spend their retirement behind bars in shame instead, repenting at leisure as they say.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

I saw a video on YouTube a while back where a guy showed Ernie Ball Earthwood counterfeits and how to tell the difference. Must be a big business especially if most buyers aren’t aware and can’t tell the difference.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:46 PM

I agree with all the sentiments expressed. I feel for the companies who spend money training staff and R&D only to have others undermine their business.

When I read negative review online about, in this case, D'Addario strings I can't help wondering how many of those reviews are legitimate gripes and how many are because they've got hold of some sub-standard copies and don't know. Not everyone checks what they've bought is legit. To be honest if the strings had sounded OK, would I have bothered to check? Maybe not.

The positive thing is that by publicising the issue on forums such as this, at least more people become aware and take the time to check where their gear is coming from.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:19 AM

D'Addario have been in touch and are sending out new strings. Now that's what I call customer service, especially when they're the victims as much as I am .

In terms of cracking down on the fakers they were only interested in knowing the code on the packaging, which I entered into Play Real.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical