The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-01-2019, 08:28 AM
Eric Skye

Default Recommend A Classical Around $500 Used For A Student

I have a student currently using my old Yamaha that is wanting to spend about $500 for a minty used classical in great shape on Reverb.com. I'm a little out of the loop as to what common brands she should search for besides Yamaha. Thanks,e
Old 03-01-2019, 10:17 AM

As a matter of course, Cordoba. I'm only recommending their being a consideration, not a slam dunk choice.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
As a matter of course, Cordoba. I'm only recommending their being a consideration, not a slam dunk choice.
I have bought a couple used Cordobas and they are great bang for the buck. Well made, sound and play real good.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:39 PM

The La Patrie Concert Classical guitar is a solid contender in the student model category. It might be a little above the $500.00 price point but based on my experience the extra cost is worth it for an all solid wood guitar. Several of my students owned this model and it consistently served them well.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:36 PM

Prudencio Saez makes a off brand that sells for a couple hundred less -
called Lucida ( a decent student model ) , in particular the 777 Concerto . I see them used all the time for about 500 dollars-- new they go for between 6 and 7 hundred .
Prudencio saez is a very good Spainish classical guitar maker of good value .
I feel it would be hard to find a better instrument at that price level .

advice i give on any used guitar is to first hand play an instrument before buying.

I have one and it is a very good classical -Solid Rosewood , Ebony fingerboard and a Ceder top -- mine even came with a decent hardshell case. which is the only way i would store any guitar.
I made a choice to up-grade the tuners to schallers ( my personal favorite tuners ) -but the original tuners are of quality

Last edited by Tony Burns; 03-03-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Within the Cordoba line, you will see a LOT of high praise for the C9 here. Its hard to find anyone who doesn't think this is just a stellar guitar for the money. GuitarCenter has one on sale for about 580. I do think as you do down the line to the C7, C5 and C3 you lose a lot of quality versus the C9. And if you go up the line to the C10, C12 you will find a good percentage for people who think the C9 is actually better.

I can also attest to Esteve as a good value brand. I have the 1GR08 which is a great model which you might be able to find used for about that price.

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-16-2019 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Edited.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:30 PM
Eric Skye

Thanks for all the suggestions. I passed this info on to her and she and I are very grateful for the ideas.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

There was a nice Kenny hill estudio in the classifieds on this forum for $400. Not yet listed as sold.... May reward an enquiry if it is still available
Old 03-05-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
The La Patrie Concert Classical guitar is a solid contender in the student model category. It might be a little above the $500.00 price point but based on my experience the extra cost is worth it for an all solid wood guitar. Several of my students owned this model and it consistently served them well.
What model? They have a few. You can find 800$+ units used for less then 500$. Wonderful guitars anyone would be lucky to have and they are priced way under the quality you get.

Kremona is another brand you can find used for sub 500$. I see all solid Kremona units that price new at 1000$ ish selling for less then 500 all the time in like new condition with great action.

Honestly the worst brand to buy would be Cordoba in this price range. Frequently warrantied junk imo. Defects are pretty common. Bridges popping off ect. Typical Chinese run of the mill stuff.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:03 PM

I see that you're in PDX, and I'll just note that the Handmade Instruments show is coming up soon (April I think?).

There are all sorts of builders with a huge range of prices, but some younger builders may have used or experimental instruments at exceptionally good prices. For example, last year, I sold an instrument I'd otherwise never have listed for sale, at way below normal asking price. I'll probably have one this year with a thinner-than-normal body depth and very-experimental rosette, too.

The other advantage is the side room where folks can play any instrument they might enjoy.

Just a thought.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:53 PM

Cordoba C5ce,all you need!.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:48 PM

Anyone experience a Cordoba bridge pulling up, popping off?
Old 03-05-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Nope.

Red Label has owned somewhere around 15 Cordobas and recommends them highly. Can't image he thinks they are junk
Old 03-05-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
NO,The C5ce is a Stunning Instrument for the money. Plays well and records Excellent. What more would you need?.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I have a student currently using my old Yamaha that is wanting to spend about $500 for a minty used classical in great shape on Reverb.com. I'm a little out of the loop as to what common brands she should search for besides Yamaha. Thanks,e
just sent you a PM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical