The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2019, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

This is somewhat off-topic, but I wish G7 would offer more finishes on their capos.

I love your Heritage and have it on gold, but it's such a shiny gold and sticks out like a sore thumb on some of my guitars. A nice aged brass look would match beautiful Waverlys.

Please do it!
- Journey Instruments OF882CN Koa
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 03-08-2019, 01:04 PM

Has anyone here tried the Performance 3 with a Rainsong?

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I got the P3 almost two weeks ago - I’ve had the P2 for the better part of two years. The P3 is an improvement, but not a vast one. I always had to touch up the tuning with the P2. I have to with the P3 also, but a bit less. No strings are out by much, but usually a few are out. If I close the capo firmly enough that no strings are buzzing, I’ll have to fine tune a few strings. And that’s on my Emerald with a 16” radius. I tried it on my Fenders with a 9.5” and 7.25” radius and the 9.5 worked well enough, but the 7.25 seemed a step too far. Not an issue for me - I almost never use a capo on my electrics. But an interesting experiment.

I’m happy to have the P3, but it didn’t quite live up to my, perhaps unrealistic, hopes...

-Ray
I have to revise this opinion. Maybe the ART system in the capo needs some use to break in or loosen up or something. But lately, I've been putting the capo on and often not needing to touch the tuning at all, and occasionally just having to do a really minor touch up on one string. When I first got it, it only seemed like a marginal improvement over the P2, but after having it for some weeks and putting it through it's paces, I have to say now that it's living up to my most optimistic hopes. The ability to place a capo behind a fret (at the same angle I've always used - pretty close to the fret at the low E string and then angled away from it as it passes over the higher strings), squeeze it just tight enough to eliminate any string buzz, and not having to retune at all, or to barely have to, is pretty sweet. What I was hoping for, was disappointed not to find, and now thrilled that it seems to be living up to that promise.

I hope those who had the same initial underwhelmed reaction I had are hanging in there are seeing improved results as well.

-Ray
Old 03-24-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I have to revise this opinion. Maybe the ART system in the capo needs some use to break in or loosen up or something. But lately, I've been putting the capo on and often not needing to touch the tuning at all, and occasionally just having to do a really minor touch up on one string. When I first got it, it only seemed like a marginal improvement over the P2, but after having it for some weeks and putting it through it's paces, I have to say now that it's living up to my most optimistic hopes. The ability to place a capo behind a fret (at the same angle I've always used - pretty close to the fret at the low E string and then angled away from it as it passes over the higher strings), squeeze it just tight enough to eliminate any string buzz, and not having to retune at all, or to barely have to, is pretty sweet. What I was hoping for, was disappointed not to find, and now thrilled that it seems to be living up to that promise.

I hope those who had the same initial underwhelmed reaction I had are hanging in there are seeing improved results as well.

-Ray
This is encouraging. I was about to give up on mine. It seems gummy, heavy, harder to get up to tension, and generally annoying and clumsy compared to the original. I'll hang in there.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrpilot View Post

The above photo was taken by G7th.

Hi All,

I was given the opportunity to review G7th's brand new Performance 3 capo with ART: "Adaptive Radius Technology." (I'll call it "P3" for short from now on) This is the new and improved iteration of the popular Performance 2 capo.

G7th's capos have made their mark on the guitar world by offering capos whose tension is set by the player. It's not up to some spring, that gives your guitar's neck a death grip.

The new P3 capo features what G7th calls "ART" or "Adaptive Radius Technology." "The ART system within the top bar of G7th Performance 3 capos adapts to the true curvature over your strings and fretboard, exerting completely even pressure across all the strings - setting a new standard of in-tune, buzz-free use. It gives you the maximum tuning stability with the minimum possible tension in EVERY position, on ANY guitar neck."

The inherent problem with most capos is that as you clamp them on any frets, they tend to pull strings just slightly sharp. G7th's previous capos really alleviated most of the tuning issues mainly by allowing the user to apply just enough pressure for the capo to do its job. Other capos don't give you that option. Your guitar's tuning is at the mercy of the strength of the spring mechanism. The further up the neck, the more tension it puts on the strings which equates to your strings being pulled sharper and sharper as you move up the neck.

I know for most, what G7th claims is possible with their new P3...seems almost impossible. I was able to put the new P3 capo through the paces with both my Taylor and Gibson and the P3's results blew me out of the water!

When I first clamped it on, and strummed the first chord I thought: "Hmmm, that doesn't sound to off at all...it actually sounds great and in tune!" I played the Low E string while moving the P3 up and down the neck. It sounded in tune to my ears but how much of this was wishful thinking? The ultimate test would be to use my tuner while using the P3. With the tuner in place, and the P3 clamped on, I hit the Low E...and bingo...it was right on the money! I did this multiple times up and down the fret board, and with each pluck the strings were in tune. I was blown away!

I already was a fan of their Performance 2 capo and decided to compare both. The P2 while absolutely solid, did pull the Low E string ever...ever...ever so slightly sharp according to the tuner. Would it be something that a listening audience would hear? No I doubt it, but to most guitarists, even a slightly off string is enough to drive one slightly crazy. I clamped the P3 back on after testing the P2....and wah-lah the Low E was back in tune! It's nuts to think that a capo could actually be this wonderful.

Thankfully, the P3 is just as slim as the P2 and neither model gets in the way of your left hand. Both capos operate the exact same way. If you really want a capo that leaves your guitar in tune up and down the entire fret board, look no further. G7th's ART works!

The new gold standard for capos has been set by the Performance 3.

Just like the P2, the P3 is backed by G7th's Free Lifetime Warranty.

Here's a video of the new Performance 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZvQ...k#action=share

Please check out G7th's website at: https://www.g7th.com/
Josh,

Thanks for the review; it was a big factor in my getting one. I like what you have written, and have no disagreements. Just a new concept involved for me with this one.

Recently got my new G7th performance 3 (P3) capo from the UK manufacturer. My initial impression is a bit north of lukewarm. Mostly because it's tension is set by squeezing it on. While this may sound intuitive, it is actually a work in progress for me. Getting/finding the right squeeze will take some getting used to. I think it will be more of an art than a science.

I have been using Shubb capoes for quite a while. I also am completely sold on the G7th Newport 12 string capo with compensated string pad, which has easily replaced my next-to-useless Shubb 12 string capo because of the amount of re-tuning the Shubb requires. The Newport requires no re-tuning. All the Shubbs and the G7th Newport have adjustable screws to vary the tension.

My ears are telling me that the P3 capo sounds great when in place. It just does not currently seem to feel good getting there. In short I am doubting my squeeze ability. So I am going to need some more practice to get used to this novel (to me) concept of squeezing the capo in place. But given what a revelation and step up the Newport 12 string was, I am more than optimistic that I will get the feel of this one soon and my confidence in using it will grow exponentially.

As may be obvious, this is my first Performance capo model, and have no comparison baseline with the P2 model. And I do not put any capo on the frets, but within 1/4" behind the fret.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 05-23-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:

-Ray
This is good news, Ray. My problem with it was the saw-tooth shaped rubber that contacts the back of the neck. It just never would seat properly on my guitar necks. Why, I have absolutely no idea but I do know that the Heritage that I use did take a breaking in period with the ART system so maybe it is just part of the process of it getting used to a particular tension on a particular guitar.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion