The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2019, 09:06 AM

Default Strange buzz on a Martin

So I just bought a second hand HD-28 and got an Anthem installed. It sounds fantastic but i just realised it buzzes weirdly when both the G and E string are played TOGETHER on the 7th fret. When the strings are played individually on the 7th fret, they do not buzz at all. Doesn’t seem like anything related to the pickup is vibrating either. Neck seems more or less straight with a slight bow... fret life is excellent

Here’s a video of the problem

https://youtu.be/1FfOBTAq5ko

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-20-2019, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Did it happen before you had the Anthem installed?

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-20-2019, 09:35 AM

That sounds like a back buzz to me! Try putting a capo on the 3rd or 4th fret and try the exact same thing again.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:36 AM
Guest 728

From here, it sounds like a sympathetic vibration of some sort -- not sure why it only occurs when those two notes are played simultaneously. Regardless, start with the last thing you did to it (presumably installing the Anthem). Are all the wires and the volume attenuator securely affixed? How about the endpin jack and the jack cover?

If this doesn't reveal the problem, start at the top and methodically go through the instrument: tuners screws and retaining nuts, truss cover plate, truss rod, saddle, string ball ends, bridge pins, etc. Isolate each variable as much as you can. Something will show up eventually!
Old 03-20-2019, 10:51 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
How about the endpin jack and the jack cover?
My J-45 was buzzing like crazy the other day on B flat. It was the endpin jack cover. I tightened it and voila!
Old 03-20-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Did it happen before you had the Anthem installed?
To be honest i have no idea. I bought the guitar on monday and sent it in for installation on Tuesday. In between i played the guitar for 5 mins and didn't notice the buzz
Old 03-20-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
That sounds like a back buzz to me! Try putting a capo on the 3rd or 4th fret and try the exact same thing again.
Yup. for whatever reason the 6th E string is buzzing somewhere from the 1st to 6th fret. so weirdddd
Old 03-21-2019, 04:50 AM

Check that the strings are all seated properly. A ball end vibrating could be the culprit. Also check that the truss rod is snugged up and not vibrating.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oonline View Post
So I just bought a second hand HD-28 and got an Anthem installed. It sounds fantastic but i just realised it buzzes weirdly when both the G and E string are played TOGETHER on the 7th fret. When the strings are played individually on the 7th fret, they do not buzz at all. Doesn’t seem like anything related to the pickup is vibrating either. Neck seems more or less straight with a slight bow... fret life is excellent

Here’s a video of the problem

https://youtu.be/1FfOBTAq5ko

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance!
I'll bet it's the low E string in back of your fretting finger, but in order to narrow down the suspects you need to make sure the other 4 strings are muted so that their sympathetic vibrations don't add anything to the issue.

Slip a piece of paper towel under the strings at the 2nd or 3rd fret, and then play those two notes again.

If it stops, then carefully slide the paper towel to expose the 6th string all the way to the nut. Play the two offending notes to see if the vibration has returned.

If not, slide the paper the other way to expose the 3rd string all the way to the nut, and check it out. You'll have to use another finger (pinky) to mute the 1st and 2nd strings to make sure they're not involved.

Sometimes you can just fret one of the notes, and pluck the string behind the fretted note. Often you'll be able to hear the offending note/harmonic/buzz in its unactivated state.

HE
Old 03-21-2019, 08:44 PM

Where’s it buzz?
I had a stealth buzz going on on my om28 and finally discovered it was the washers beneath the nuts which secure the tuner shafts.
Although yours is probably related to the Anthem install.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh View Post
Where’s it buzz?
I had a stealth buzz going on on my om28 and finally discovered it was the washers beneath the nuts which secure the tuner shafts.
Although yours is probably related to the Anthem install.
Just a word of caution here: There is NO nut that secures the tuner shafts. What looks like a nut is actually a press-fit bushing. Do NOT try to tighten them by turning clockwise.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oonline View Post
Yup. for whatever reason the 6th E string is buzzing somewhere from the 1st to 6th fret. so weirdddd
This is super common, so don't be alarmed.

Happens a lot with new guitars and new strings.

All that is generally needed is a tiny tweak of the truss rod in one direction or the other and the issue will be solved. Or you can just keep playing and the issue often resolves itself.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:02 AM

I would bet on the pickup or a wire touching some part of the guitar that is only activated by a certain frequency. Check the wires inside to make sur it is not touching anything. A loose brace could cause the same issue for the same reason. I don’t think it is the tuners, strings, nut, saddle or set up.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:40 AM

I had a SJ200 with the LR Baggs Anthem, sounds like you maybe have the same problem I had.

you say it's not, but are you 100% sure? it took me forever to isolate this.

The volume/blend wheel vibrate with certain notes. This is first thing to check. Got so bad on mine, I ripped that out and replaced it with a fishman infinity.

Last edited by rmp; 03-25-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
This is super common, so don't be alarmed.

Happens a lot with new guitars and new strings.

All that is generally needed is a tiny tweak of the truss rod in one direction or the other and the issue will be solved. Or you can just keep playing and the issue often resolves itself.
You were spot on! Tweaked the neck a bit and it fixed it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion