The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-24-2019, 03:55 AM

Great Job Glenn!
You show great respect to these classic old songs!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 03-24-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
Great Job Glenn!
You show great respect to these classic old songs!
Hi Vance!

Thanks! I do try to show respect for these great old songs! It's amazing that after all these years of appreciation that I can actually record these songs. Thanks for your kind words of support! And thanks for taking the time to watch and listen, too!

- Glenn
Old 03-24-2019, 09:09 AM

Hi Glenn!
Another great job on this one!! I think I liked this version......maybe just that my ears were ready for a fuller sound....who knows!
At any rate, I truly appreciate the immense amount of work which goes into these productions of yours. And I do mean productions!! Your full knowledge of recording and editing is always on display!
Enjoy your day!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-24-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Hi Glenn!
Another great job on this one!! I think I liked this version......maybe just that my ears were ready for a fuller sound....who knows!
At any rate, I truly appreciate the immense amount of work which goes into these productions of yours. And I do mean productions!! Your full knowledge of recording and editing is always on display!
Enjoy your day!
Fred
Thank you Fred!

It's very nice of you to take the time to watch, listen and then comment here!

I must say, this version of the S&G song kind of grew on me. I was thinking of adding harmony and the canticle when I started on this song, but then changed my mind as I practiced it. So my first version, as you know, was a solo attempt, and I sang it that way, with some short, clipped words that were never intended to be harmonized.

Then Carmel Cedar suggested it might be interesting to hear this with harmony, so I thought, okay, let's see what I can do with this. At first, I wasn't sure that this would work. For one thing, the harmony lines are lower than the melody, which is unusual for Simon & Garfunkel, and because I pitched this one half step lower than where S&G sang this, I thought the harmony sounded too low. In fact, I did go back and apply some equalization to filter out a bunch of the bass in the harmony voices because it was just overwhelming, I thought.

And getting the harmony blend at the right level was a challenge. First I had too little, then too much, then, I think, a little closer to just right. You know, a Three Bears kind of thing.

The video programming was made a little easier when I added the harmony because I found a way to replace the original stereo audio track with the new, harmonized one while still keeping things synchronized. That saved me a whole lot of video editing time.

Thanks for your kind words of support Fred. It was an interesting experiment to be sure!

- Glenn
Old 03-24-2019, 10:47 AM

I’ve said this to you before Glenn, and am saying it again-really beautiful work with your sound and video production values. You are a talented man and I envy your abilities of guitar and vocals for sure, but also enjoy the fact you can share these thing so wonderfully in your oh so well made videos. Keep them coming my friend.
frankie
Old 03-24-2019, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I’ve said this to you before Glenn, and am saying it again-really beautiful work with your sound and video production values. You are a talented man and I envy your abilities of guitar and vocals for sure, but also enjoy the fact you can share these thing so wonderfully in your oh so well made videos. Keep them coming my friend.
frankie
Hi Frankie,

Thank you so much for your wonderfully supportive comments! I can't tell you how encouraging it is to receive such generous and encouraging comments from someone who knows me only from my music and the videos that you have seen.

You know the feeling, I'm sure, of putting your efforts out to the public and then maybe feeling as if they have fallen into a black hole. But your comments let me know that it's not a black hole; you are there and this stuff matters to you a little, enough for your to offer this kind of feedback and encouragement.

And so many others, both here on the AGF and on YouTube, have offered kind words and encouragement, that it does help me dive in to do another one.

So thank you for that! You have really made my day, Frankie!

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 03-24-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:33 PM

No black hole Glenn, I assure you. For every one comment you receive there are one hundred watchers shaking their heads saying”how does he do this so consistently?”
You’re a cool cat, no doubt!
All the best,
frankie
Old 03-24-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
No black hole Glenn, I assure you. For every one comment you receive there are one hundred watchers shaking their heads saying”how does he do this so consistently?”
You’re a cool cat, no doubt!
All the best,
frankie
Well, thank you again Frankie! Your comments are greatly appreciated! All the best to you!

- Glenn
Old 03-24-2019, 11:30 PM

Beautiful, just beautiful.

Dubi
Old 03-25-2019, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful man! Really awesome.

Gonna tackle this next with my friend. Me and her play quite a bit of Buckingham and Nicks stuff (Never Going Back Again, Landslide, etc) since I play/sing and she sings, but Simon and Garfunkel are another one of our favorites. Already have April Come She Will and Kathy's Song down, so this should be next!

We're in our 20s and 30s too, so some "youngins" playing the good stuff
- Journey Instruments OF882CN Koa
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 03-25-2019, 06:30 AM

Nailed it on this one Glenn. Really great. A friend and I performed the Boxer recently and the audience ate it up. S and G are still loved.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 03-25-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ9RW View Post
Beautiful, just beautiful.

Dubi
Hi Dubi!

It's wonderful to hear from you Dubi! Thank you so much! I am so pleased that you like this! I hope you are well!

- Glenn
Old 03-25-2019, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolegsfngrpickn View Post
Beautiful man! Really awesome.

Gonna tackle this next with my friend. Me and her play quite a bit of Buckingham and Nicks stuff (Never Going Back Again, Landslide, etc) since I play/sing and she sings, but Simon and Garfunkel are another one of our favorites. Already have April Come She Will and Kathy's Song down, so this should be next!

We're in our 20s and 30s too, so some "youngins" playing the good stuff
Hi nolegsfngrpickn!

Thank you! I am really pleased that you like this!

And you are young, interested in the guitar and singing, and enjoying music from the 60s!?!? How cool is that!? Good for you! And thank you so much for commenting here! It's greatly appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 03-25-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Nailed it on this one Glenn. Really great. A friend and I performed the Boxer recently and the audience ate it up. S and G are still loved.
Hi started with 1,

Thank you very much! I'm glad you felt that this came out okay!

That's cool that you are working on some Simon & Garfunkel songs. I think to a great extent I really learned to play guitar by working so much on S&G songs way back when I was 18-22 years old when S&G what at their zenith. And they had a unique and wonderful vocal sound. What a great time for music, though I guess the time certainly had its anxieties, as well.

Thanks for much for commenting here!

- Glenn
Old 03-26-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Great job Glenn

I for one know that multi track and overdub and getting it all to "gel" is no small or easy task
So well done indeed

Also learned something new , that the counter vocal that weaves throughout the Simon and Garfunkel version is called a "canticle"

The other thing I learned was that there was some controversy about the Simon and Garfunkel's version, particularly with Martin Carthy (whom Simon learned the traditional song from) over the the fact that Simon and Garfunkel were the only copyright credit on their version, Carthy felt that the "traditional source " aspect should have been listed as well . Not unlike similar complaints leveled at Led Zep and others with traditional blues songs .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-26-2019 at 08:25 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell