The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-24-2019, 11:28 AM

Default Multi-Instrumental Solo Gigging. PA w/ mixer/DI or Acoustic Amp

Hey guys,

I'm looking to start up a solo project here soon. ill be playing acoustic guitar and digital piano w/ vocals

Does the fact that I will have two instruments mean that I should just try and grab a cheap PA and a mixer?

Should I find an acoustic amp with an extra XLR input for the guitar + vocals and just plug the piano into a house PA if there is one?

If I do go the route of PA, is it ideal to find a DI for the guitar ? or can I just get by with going thru a mixer? What recommendations do you guys have as far as budget equipment?
Old 03-24-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Depending on the size of the venues you plan to play I'd go with a mixer and a powered speaker. We use a QSC k8.2 but you might want to go with the k10.2 or even the k12.2 as I've heard that when adding keys you'll want/need the larger speakers for the low end.

One speaker would be big enough for almost any small to mid-sized indoor venue. Add another for larger, louder or outdoor venues. It also depends on the type music you are playing. We bought our QSC as a backup to our Bose S1 in case we need more power and as of yet have not even needed it.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

QSC Touchmix 8 into a LD Systems Maui 5. You can preset all the settings for each of your instruments, record, mix, full sweeping eq, best of everything.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 03-24-2019, 11:50 AM

Bose S1 might be just the ticket. Three channels, quality sound and signal to send to any house pa. Easy to carry, and could pay for itself in five or six gigs.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:05 PM

Thanks for all these recommendations guys. I've looked up some of these products and they are a bit out of budget. I shouldve mentioned that I am indeed on a small budget here. I know im sacrificing quality by going cheaper, but whats out there for someone on a budget? Is there a setup that exists for less than $500.00?
Old 03-24-2019, 02:32 PM

Hi Tenor,

I just recently had to buy my solo PA setup. It was a last minute purchase because I'd been thrown my first solo gig on short notice. I ended up getting the JBL EON612, a 12" single speaker, and I already had a little 4 channel Mackie mixer. It performed beautifully on the night, with plenty of power, it was a pretty large room with around 150 people.

I noticed this speaker is $349 at Sweetwater (5 year warranty/14kgs) and these small mixers are very affordable, if you need reverb just get one that has it built in. I was running through a TC play acoustic so I didnt need effects in the mixer.

I think a 12" speaker would suit you well. All the best!
Old 03-24-2019, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
Bose S1 might be just the ticket. Three channels, quality sound and signal to send to any house pa. Easy to carry, and could pay for itself in five or six gigs.
I'm not sure the third input, an aux in, would be all that great for keyboards, though I could be mistaken. Anyway, out of budget.

That JBL Eon 612 is a lot of quality speaker for the price, especially the current markdown to $349. Sweetwater is a great place to read reviews and there's a decent amount of very positive keyboard players checking in. (The S1 to my surprise also has a few happy keyboard players. I researched the keyboard thing awhile ago and my impression is that you need larger speakers for decent reproduction of the lower tones on a full keyboard. The S1 has a 6" for the low end; the Eon 612, a big beautiful 12").

Used 612s on Ebay come in as low as the mid-$200's; I haven't checked Reverb. If your ceiling is $500, that might leave enough room for an SM-58 mic, a mic stand, an inexpensive mixer, cables, and you're gonna want a speaker stand for that JBL or something like it.

Edit: I left out the possibility of needing a DI for the guitar. It depends partly on whether you have an active or passive pickup on your guitar and some other things that are beyond my knowledge a bit.

Last edited by Chriscom; 03-24-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:07 AM

For your purposes, I'd go with a keyboard amp. Something like the 15" Behringer or better yet the 100 watt Roland 12". A piano deserves to have a big fat low end. Plus most keyboard amps give you all the inputs you need. Quick setup. Much easier than a powered speaker plus mixer.

To answer your guitar question, it should be ok plugged directly into a mixer depending on the pickup and whether it has a preamp.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:57 AM

Try looking on your local craigslist for good quality
affordable used stuff. Its always hard trying to
reccomend something to someone on a tight
budget. I would rather see a bit of debt then
to buy something to just get by. Then down the
road upgrade because your not happy.
Thats money down the drain. Imho
Qsc, jbl, and bose systems come up for sale
all the time. I would think a bose l1 compact
would be great for keys. It has that great sub.
You can get small mixers brand new
for 150.00. If you could find a k10 or k12 used for 500
that would only put you 150 over budget.
You could charge the mixer. Do you have a mic, stand,cords??
Old 03-25-2019, 06:46 AM

Mixer and powered speaker.
You need the mixer because EQ settings are going to be different between guitar and keyboard. You don't want to be tweaking the sound every time you change instruments.
Powered speaker because you can always add/change.

This A+H mixer for $130 has an instrument input on channel 1, so even if your guitar does not have a pre-amp, it should be ok. Channel 2 for the mic, the keyboard can plug into channel 3 or 4 (assume it as an audio stereo output): https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...th-zed-6-mixer
You might want to go up to the next-larger mixer with more inputs in case you want to expand in the future.
For speakers, look at used ones in your area, even look at what GC has used in the local stores.
I don't see a lot of powered speakers on craigslist. With a keyboard, you are going to want a 12" speaker, minimum size to get the lows - take a look at the frequency range of any speakers and make sure they go down to at least the 50Hz range (low E on a bass is around 43Hz).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification