The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 06:41 PM

Default Anyone directly compare a Yamaha A5R to an A3R?

I am looking to buy either a Yamaha A5R or an A3R. I have read a lot of forum posts about the A3R, but haven't seen much on the A5R. To anyone who has played or owns both the 3 and 5 series Yamaha acoustics, does the 5 warrant the extra price? If so, what features on the 5 make it worth the extra, to you? Thanks.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:56 AM

Tusq nut and saddle $25. Hardshell case $110. Made in Japan $???

I owned an A5R. I didn't like the string spacing at the nut and put on an aftermarket Tusq nut anyway. I got a great deal on mine ($1150 out the door, new).

I also owned an AC3R (gen. 1, which came with a HSC, but not the A.R.E. top).

I didn't see that much of a difference in build quality.

If you like the prestige of made in Japan over the negative connotation that seems to go with guitars that are made in China, and if you don't want to have to upgrade the plastic nut and saddle, I'd say spring for the A5R.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Tusq nut and saddle $25. Hardshell case $110. Made in Japan $???

I owned an A5R. I didn't like the string spacing at the nut and put on an aftermarket Tusq nut anyway. I got a great deal on mine ($1150 out the door, new).

I also owned an AC3R (gen. 1, which came with a HSC, but not the A.R.E. top).

I didn't see that much of a difference in build quality.

If you like the prestige of made in Japan over the negative connotation that seems to go with guitars that are made in China, and if you don't want to have to upgrade the plastic nut and saddle, I'd say spring for the A5R.
Thanks @yamahaguy. I have a made in China Guild that is one of the nicest sounding guitars I've played, acoustically. The plugged in sound doesn't compare with the Yamahas and Taylors I've heard, though. I think I read that the tuners in the 5 are better than the 3, as well.

I'll probably end up going for the 5, especially if I can get a decent deal on it, from Sweetwater. I greatly appreciate anyone else's input, if they would like to share their thoughts, as well.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:41 AM

I forgot about the Gotohs. I wasn't that impressed with them but they are good and cost probably $80 or so. I put some Wilkinsons on my AC3R that for $32 felt smoother.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:26 AM

I forgot about the Gotohs. I wasn't that impressed with them but they are good and cost probably $80 or so. I put some Wilkinsons on my AC3R that for $32 felt smoother.

Admin: please delete (sorry about the double post)

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 03-25-2019 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Sorry about the double post
Old 03-26-2019, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the additional info. Sweetwater is out of the A3R, but has four A5R in stock. I'm trying to see if my rep can try them out, to see how they sound, and to make sure there are no issues. I haven't heard back, but that isn't a standard request, so I don't want to pressure him.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:21 PM

Among the other features mentioned, the 5s also get binding at the headstock and diamond inlays instead of dots...being pretty pays a price, no? ;-)
Old 03-26-2019, 07:22 PM

Yes to the headstock binding and the dot inlays are fancier. Maybe the binding all around has a thin white stripe too.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
Among the other features mentioned, the 5s also get binding at the headstock and diamond inlays instead of dots...being pretty pays a price, no? ;-)
I didn't even notice the headstock binding until you mentioned it, but that and the inlays do look nice.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:41 PM

Well, after saying that he would check out the A5Rs they had in stock, my Sweetwater rep is no longer responding to emails. I am having trouble finding people who have the A5R in stock, in Northern WV, Southwestern PA, or Eastern Ohio.

I may not be getting an A5R, after all. I do appreciate all of your feedback, though. Thanks again!.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
a3r, a5r, yamaha, yamaha a3r, yamaha a5r