The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-23-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Kindle Fire - broken screen Argh! Advice?

Hi, came out of doc's surgery, dropped a water bottle - lent down to pick it up, crash - kindle fell out of my pocket onto hard standing.

My repair options seem very limited.

If I but another kindle, can I get all my books and music transferred, or do I have to buy them again?

Can I buy an I pad or similar (for less) and get my stuff transferred (i.e. can I get kindle books on a non amazon machine?

Help!
Old 03-23-2019, 08:56 AM

I ran over my iPhone with my pickup while parking my Airstream. Screen was broken, I thought it was dead. Took it in to a local phone/computer repair shop and they straightened the frame and replaced the screen for less than $100 US. Hopefully you have a similar shop in your area.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:57 AM

It depends. Are you able to back up things to the Cloud?
Old 03-23-2019, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
If I but another kindle, can I get all my books and music transferred, or do I have to buy them again?
Yes. All your Kindle books are saved to your Amazon account. If you purchase a new device, you simply need to register it to your Amazon account and then sync it. Anything you have purchased via Amazon will transfer.

Anything you side-loaded (transferred via USB, etc.) because you didn't purchase it from Amazon (e.g. music files you already owned, digital books downloaded from another retailer, etc.) you will need do again, but those files will still be wherever on your computer you saved them. If you only ever had Amazon content on your Kindle Fire, then ignore this step.

Quote:
Can I buy an I pad or similar (for less) and get my stuff transferred (i.e. can I get kindle books on a non amazon machine?
Yes. Just download the Kindle app. You can access your Kindle library via that app on any device.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
Yes. All your Kindle books are saved to your Amazon account. If you purchase a new device, you simply need to register it to your Amazon account and then sync it. Anything you have purchased via Amazon will transfer.

Anything you side-loaded (transferred via USB, etc.) because you didn't purchase it from Amazon (e.g. music files you already owned, digital books downloaded from another retailer, etc.) you will need do again, but those files will still be wherever on your computer you saved them. If you only ever had Amazon content on your Kindle Fire, then ignore this step.

Yes. Just download the Kindle app. You can access your Kindle library via that app on any device.

This.

Nothing is lost. You can have all your Kindle books on an IPad with the Kindle app. They will download in a moments time.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post

Erithon is right. No problem. Afterward, you can remove the old one from your account.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Hi Guys, thanks for this.
I found one guy who'd replace it for £66 (about $82) and a ew one would cost about £80 ($105).

I've covered it in cling film for the time being.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Hi Guys, thanks for this.
I found one guy who'd replace it for £66 (about $82) and a ew one would cost about £80 ($105).

I've covered it in cling film for the time being.
That's less than the current base iPad but we have one of those and really appreciate it overall. Are you a COSTCO member? Know someone who is? Right now that model is $250 at COSTCO in the US vs the usual $300 - $329.

At this point I do like a basic e ink type Kindle for bright outdoor light but otherwise like the Kindle apps on any of the computers, phone or tablet that have higher specifications. I was hesitant but now that I have a large screen phone with the OLED type display I can't imagine spending much on a Kindle device or anything without the high grade display.

If you stop at a phone or electronics store you should be able to see all the display types and why you might or might not want to spend more. If you look at a good OLED device notice how close the pixels are to the glass, the super dark blacks, high contrast, and the way it adjusts to ambient light.

It's very entertaining to see we're now at a time when phones are what computers and tablets were and wrist watches are now the phones.

I digress, but I hope you have Kindle and ebook options at your libraries. That's common in the US and I love it. Very often I can just borrow a book. If I don't finish it on time or love it I'll buy it. It's made the portable technology more valuable to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic