The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-24-2019, 09:50 AM

Default Powered Bookshelf Speakers for PC

I'd like to find a nice pair of powered bookshelf speakers to connect to a laptop, mixer output or record player. I'd like to stay under $500, maybe a bit more if the sound is truly outstanding. They have to have a built-in amp.

I tend to get overwhelmed by so many choices out there, especially not being able to audition them all. So I'd like to tap into the collective experience here at AGF for recommendations to help focus my search.

Thanks
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 03-24-2019, 11:12 AM

I'm not sure if studio monitors would satisfy what you're after, but the Kali 6s are awesome speakers for the price.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:27 AM

If you need portability and high quality, look into the iLoud monitors. I think you will be surprised - I was.

The Kali monitors are getting lots of good reviews for band for the buck. Not very portable, though - if that is even a consideration for you.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-24-2019, 11:29 AM

I guess it really depends on whether you think that attaching good speakers to a laptop or other non-hi fidelity source will be worth it. I don't. I think good but not great speakers is all that is warranted unless you're going to match them with a great output source. I use Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers - for PC. They work great for streaming or listening to music in my studio - through a computer. For everything else I use really nice headphones.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:48 AM

For these I'm not worried about moving them. I do want them for more than just a laptop.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Old 03-24-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I'd like to find a nice pair of powered bookshelf speakers to connect to a laptop, mixer output or record player. ...
To me this question needs at least two different speaker types - if not 3. A laptop won't drive speakers that (I would) are used for a stereo system. Mixer output, for me, goes into my PA speakers and, of course, the laptop doesn't require monitors or stereo-system speakers. I don't see one speaker type optimized to handle these three distinct uses.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:52 PM

I have Presonus Eris E5 5.25" powered monitors that I like a lot. You mentioned for "Record Player", be aware that you need to feed most powered monitors with a line level signal, so a standard record player would need a pre-amplification stage before powered monitors would work.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...RoCmQkQAvD_BwE

Five inch powered monitors are as small as I would go for general listening, and they won't have a lot of bass if that's what your preference is.

Do consider what you'll be listening to, as it wouldn't make a lot of sense to spend more than a couple hundred on powered monitors that you'll be using to listen to mp3s or web-based sound files with.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:06 PM

There are a bunch of youtubes showing powered monitors connected directly to phono's. Here's one that has the same turntable as mine.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Old 03-27-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
There are a bunch of youtubes showing powered monitors connected directly to phono's. Here's one that has the same turntable as mine.
If they have a phono pre, yes, I'm not familiar with any studio monitors that do.

You gotta love the powered monitors in the video that feature Bluetooth for your critical listening needs!
Old 03-28-2019, 06:36 AM

Using powered speakers for music listening from a computer, you will want a front panel-mounted volume control (principle difference between 'real' studio monitors and computer listening speakers) - you will find very disparate volume levels as you switch between sources such as Spotify and youtube and having a quick way to adjust the volume is needed - specially when a loud ad plays.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-28-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Audioengine speakers:

https://audioengineusa.com
Old 03-28-2019, 10:33 PM

I recommend Monoprice 8" Kevlar woofer with 1/4" silk dome tweeter biamped powered studio monitors, jwellsy. I've done a lot of business with this Southern California company for decades and they always exceed my critical expectations. You will not find better quality sound for twice the cash investment:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605800

https://downloads.monoprice.com/file...ual_130828.pdf
Old 03-30-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Using powered speakers for music listening from a computer, you will want a front panel-mounted volume control (principle difference between 'real' studio monitors and computer listening speakers) - you will find very disparate volume levels as you switch between sources such as Spotify and youtube and having a quick way to adjust the volume is needed - specially when a loud ad plays.
That is an excellent point. I hate having to hunt for volume controls.

All of the suggestions have been awesome and worthy of adding into the candidate list.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Old 03-30-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I'd like to find a nice pair of powered bookshelf speakers to connect to a laptop, mixer output or record player. I'd like to stay under $500, maybe a bit more if the sound is truly outstanding. They have to have a built-in amp.

I tend to get overwhelmed by so many choices out there, especially not being able to audition them all. So I'd like to tap into the collective experience here at AGF for recommendations to help focus my search.

Thanks
I faced this same decision a year or 2 ago (I forget). Of course in these type of threads you're going to get all kinds of different suggestions. After months of research this is what I ended up getting and I couldn't be happier:

https://www.edifier.com/ca/en/speakers/s2000pro
Old 03-30-2019, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Audioengine speakers:

https://audioengineusa.com
I was going to make this suggestion. Shoreline, one of the forum sponsors carries them and has a great reputation for providing excellent customer service.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification