The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-23-2019, 09:36 AM

Default Yamaha Stagepas vs single K8 and mixer

I’m down to a final decision on a setup for my acoustic band. Two guitars, 3 mics. We play small gigs around town for up to 50 people. Should we be going with the flexibility and higher end components and tone of a single k8 v2 or the stereo output of the two stagepas cabinets? If I bought the k8, I’d pair it with an Alto mixer.

How much am I giving up with a single cab for now???

Thanks!!
Old 03-23-2019, 10:21 AM

What appeals to me about having 2 speakers is, with 3 vocal mics, it's easier to spread out and fly the speakers high and behind you, or in tight quarters, run one out front and throw the other one on the ground and use it as a wedge monitor.

I use a (single) DXR10 with a small mixer and for just one or two people it works well with groups of up to 100.

In my opinion, once you start adding more than 3 or 4 signals to the mix, a single speaker can get a little muddy and it's nice to have two speakers. Anytime I run a two speaker setup, I actually mix in stereo. It's pretty cool when the crowd notices.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:28 AM

I gotcha -- makes sense. Well today's gig is two guitars, two mics. I really want to go with the QSC K8 v2 and I happen to have a Henriksen Bud, so maybe I'll use that as a monitor for us. This seems like the longer term solution.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2019, 11:58 AM

I'm not familiar enough with the K8v2 to have an opinion, but I can say I've never regretted getting my StagePas 300. I'm sure the newer ones are even better. I've used it with one speaker, one main and one monitor, 2 speaker mono, and in stereo. I've used it inside and outside and have even used a CM-30 as a monitor. The system has never disappointed me, even when used outdoors at a softball field for an audience of close to 200 (2 vocals, 1 guitar). I think you're fortunate to be deciding between 2 very nice and capable options!
Old 03-23-2019, 05:44 PM

The Stagepas is a nice convenient package. I almost pulled the trigger on the 400BT version. The reason I didn't was that out of curiosity I had my salesperson compare the Stagepas to a 12" base model Electro-Voice and a 12" Mackie SRM. Listening to the Stagepas without a comparison, it sounded good enough, and I'm sure I would have been happy gigging with it for awhile. But I immediately noticed the difference in the sound coming from the other powered speakers. It was on another level. Much more clarity and note separation. I didn't bother the salesperson with plugging into a QSC K.2 because it was out of my budget but he assured me it was on another level yet beyond the Mackie (which I bought with a Yamaha mixer) and the EV.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:21 PM

For what you are describing the Stagepas will cover the room and give what you need. They are pretty good units up to a point, BUT...

If you need to cover bigger rooms more bodies it will struggle. You would be better served with a pair of speakers and a compact mixer. A single K8 will do that size area and a little larger, but again a second would be needed if going any larger, just for the spread and headroom clarity.

Perhaps a pair of Yamaha DBR 10's or similar if the QSC is out of reach or the newer CP series maybe. Almost always better to have a bit more power than you might need.

Kris
Old 03-24-2019, 01:59 AM

I'd do a Soundcraft EFX8 or EFX12 and a K8/K8.2 to start.
I'd add another K8/8.2 to the mix down the road. Better speakers and way better mixer. No contest, IMO.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 03-24-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post

I'd add another K8/8.2 to the mix down the road. Better speakers and way better mixer. No contest, IMO.
This ^^^^^
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 03-24-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Or if budget is a concern the above mentioned Soundcrafts with two CP8's would be about the same money.

If you are considering the Stagepas stuff, also look at the Samson Expedition PA's. The are essentially Stagepas knockoffs.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-24-2019, 07:57 AM

There are lots of decent choices in small PA systems nowadays. I've tended towards Yorkville gear but my small PA right now is a Yamaha Stagepas and it's been stellar. I have it set up in my home lesson studio (except if I take it out for a gig) and run anything and everything through it.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
^ This. Avoid that Alto.

That Soundcraft is a good board. You might also consider an A&H Zedi 10fx. I've lately been using a single K8 and an A&H Zed6fx for lots of solo gigs.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
What appeals to me about having 2 speakers is, with 3 vocal mics, it's easier to spread out and fly the speakers high and behind you, or in tight quarters, run one out front and throw the other one on the ground and use it as a wedge monitor.

I use a (single) DXR10 with a small mixer and for just one or two people it works well with groups of up to 100.

In my opinion, once you start adding more than 3 or 4 signals to the mix, a single speaker can get a little muddy and it's nice to have two speakers. Anytime I run a two speaker setup, I actually mix in stereo. It's pretty cool when the crowd notices.
Right on. Speaker placement is key.

If things are getting muddy, I'd suggest a sub and an active crossover. If the mix in one active speaker is muddy, it will be muddy in two or more active speakers. Even a single sub and crossover will do wonders to alleviate that.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification