The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-20-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Should not be played with.
Dealing with Emerald, I have yet to be 'burned'...
Old 03-20-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Glad it is working out for you, Scott. I don't consider my experience with the Silent Guitar bad, just different enough that it is more work. I still think I will try to learn some fingerpicking skills with this guitar, probably after we get back home.

My keyboard playing friend asked me today: "Can you play the Sound of Nearly Silence with that guitar?"
Old 03-20-2019, 06:26 PM
Guest 928

burn Burn BURN

The ring of fire.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Glad it is working out for you, Scott. I don't consider my experience with the Silent Guitar bad, just different enough that it is more work. I still think I will try to learn some fingerpicking skills with this guitar, probably after we get back home.

My keyboard playing friend asked me today: "Can you play the Sound of Nearly Silence with that guitar?"
HA! Good one!

I'm already a predominantly fingerstyle player which likely plays into the fact that I'm having a much easier time. In fact, that's part of the allure in that I was getting away from my preferred fingerstyle playing as we added many 'strummers' in an attempt to increase our set lists with pub-friendly, cowboy chord popular covers. The SLG-N wants to be played fingerstyle. It begs to be played that way.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Another hour or so with the SLG today (learning songs the kids picked for the guitar class)... it stayed in tune, so maybe we have gotten beyond the "stretching" stage? The neck still feels like a surfboard compared to that sweet X10.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Another hour or so with the SLG today (learning songs the kids picked for the guitar class)... it stayed in tune, so maybe we have gotten beyond the "stretching" stage? The neck still feels like a surfboard compared to that sweet X10.

Another hour for me today before work, this time with the new PW NS Classical capo. Much better fit but due to the side action the first three (high) strings tend to go ever so slightly sharp when capoing. So at some point I'm going to need to find a yoke-type capo for wide classicals. Paige makes one but for some reason it got really low reviews on Amazon compared to the regular models.

Shubb doesn't appear to make a FineTune model for classicals and that's about as high as I'm willing to go for a capo. The good news is that I currently have the set lists set up to keep like capo'd songs together so I only have to move the capo a few times. Also, the onboard tuner on the SLG works extremely well and the even the tuning machines are super smooth.

On a downer note, I got the quote back from Emerald today on my proposed X10 nylon custom build and let's just say I won't be ordering another custom Emerald anytime soon. Prices seemed to have spiked significantly. So I'll be on the lookout for one to pop in the classifieds or just be happy with what I have. Too bad though as I had a woody veneer that I was really digging on!
Old 03-22-2019, 05:58 PM
Guest 928

Methos;

With a little work, you could turn the SLG into a woody. There are lots of veneers on line and the process would be fun. And the result would be stunning. You go!!!!
Old 03-22-2019, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Methos;

With a little work, you could turn the SLG into a woody. There are lots of veneers on line and the process would be fun. And the result would be stunning. You go!!!!
How do you stick that veneer to... air??
Old 03-23-2019, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

The SLGN is filling the void for a nylon really well at this point. While I still haven't had the chance to use it at an open mic or gig I have been using it at home for live practice (with amplification) almost exclusively. So while I'm still hoping to acquire an Emerald nylon at some point, the SLGN will do for now and I'd keep it as a backup.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
The SLGN is filling the void for a nylon really well at this point. While I still haven't had the chance to use it at an open mic or gig I have been using it at home for live practice (with amplification) almost exclusively. So while I'm still hoping to acquire an Emerald nylon at some point, the SLGN will do for now and I'd keep it as a backup.
So, does that mean the X20 is still up for sale? Lovely guitar.

One other advantage I found with the SLG: I can play it while seated at the dinette in the motorhome. Probably a small market for that.

More time with it... yeah, I definitely prefer steel strings and a narrower neck width.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, does that mean the X20 is still up for sale? Lovely guitar.

One other advantage I found with the SLG: I can play it while seated at the dinette in the motorhome. Probably a small market for that.

More time with it... yeah, I definitely prefer steel strings and a narrower neck width.
Well, the X20 was never actually for sale - just looking for a trade for an Emerald nylon. Not surprisingly no takers there as Emerald nylons are a rare breed. I do have several folks interested in a purchase but unless something pops that could replace it (unlikely) then it stays. I've stopped bumping it for now, at least.

Just finished a two-hour full duo practice with the wife using the SLGN and at this point I can say that I'm comfortable enough with it to plan to use it as my primary for the next gig which isn't until the end of April. But I've acclimated for the most part to playing with the needed changes in attack and dynamics to achieve the desired tones for the various songs we play.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

I got together again today with my piano-playing buddy and made some music. I took the SLG along, but just so he could see it - the X10 got all my playing time. My friend is quite enamored with the X10. He had fun with the SLG, as well... asked if it could be played without the top curve on it. I said, "Give it a try."

He found it reasonably comfortable; I didn't try it that way. Plugged into his Fender Rumble amp (for keyboard), the SLG sounded quite nice.

He got a Spire Studio, so we can exchange files and make some music together even though we'll be about 1,300 mile apart. I'm looking forward to it. He is my favorite playing partner - if we lived closer, I'd be lining up duo gigs. No, I'm not ready to move to the desert.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Just updated my NGD review on the main page with regard to the SLG200N. This past weekends practice had my wife complaining about the noisiness of the Yammy. Not sure if it's an active vs. passive thing but she was quite adamant that we cannot use this guitar for gig performances.

I can hear the hiss but don't find it too bad but then again my hearing is awful with a significant hearing loss in both ears and very loud tinnitus (ringing) in both ears 24/7 courtesy of my military service. And while I question whether it would be all that noticeable at a gig where there is always a certain level of background noise anyway, as I said in the NGD update, I don't ever want someone in the audience to think that we were great but too bad our sound sucks.

And anyway, I respect the wife's opinion enough to nix this as a primary gig guitar. As she said, even if no one else can hear it, SHE can it will distract her and I totally understand about being distracted by tone issues. It really takes away from one's ability to enjoy and therefore give the best performance!

I will still give it a try for open mics though. I did confirm it's the guitar model and not this particular guitar by A/B'ing with a brand new one and I can hear the same thing. I wonder if all active guitars would have a little more hiss as compared to passive, K&K type systems. I have very little experience with active systems.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Hey, Scott - all my guitars, with one exception, have active pickups. The only one that has had a hum issue was the passive one, and Taylor said that it was more likely from the "wiring in the building" than the pickup. I do notice that the small amount of hum in that guitar does vary with where it was played, so maybe that "ground within the building" has some merit?

I have played my SLG into a couple different amps (calling the S1 an amp for this purpose, and my friend's Fender Rumble), and didn't notice a hum; same when I recorded with it, direct into the Grace Design preamp in the Spire Studio.

When we get home and settled back in, I'll have the opportunity to crank it up a bit more, and will see if that issue shows itself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber