The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-22-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
My wife just indicated that an at home exercise bike might be a good thing for us.

We are healthy, but really busy, adults aged 62 and 58. I hate to say money is no object but I don’t object (see what I did there?) to spending a few bucks on a quality piece of equipment. I don’t need to spend a lot but if needed that’s ok.

Guessing I want some type of electronic monitoring of distance and time...space may be at a premium so I can’t go gigantic. Open to suggestions.

Looking for recommendations....Amazon has stuff as low as $149 and I’m sure I can spend ten times as much as that or more.

AGF has never failed me....
I'm a flabby almost-50 yo man so I fully expect you take what I am about to say with a grain of salt. Sorry if this doesn't help, but to be completely frank I think that buying a piece of stationary exercise equipment when space in your home is an issue is a waste of money. Exercise can be as much of a mental commitment as it is a physical one.

IMO you'd be better off if you and your wife sought out a spin class and just got actual bicycles now that spring is about here. I understand that you and your wife are both still a little too young for Silver Sneakers, but getting out of the house and exercising with others will give you more motivation than something that has a high probability of becoming a coat rack.

There are fitness-oriented hybrid bicycles on the market for less than $500 (I wouldn't spend any less IMO) from the likes of Trek, Cannondale, Giant and Specialized (and NOT Huffy, Diamondback or ever Schwinn) that will serve you well 6 months out of the year in central PA. For the rest of the year, you can get a decent trainer attachment for less than $100 on Amazon that can be stowed along with your bicycle when not in use.

I'd also recommend investing in fitness trackers like a FitBit (or strap type heart monitors) and download Map My Ride for your phones, along with a mount for your handlebars or a strap for your upper arm for about $5. There's also a very useful (and free) app called "My Fitness Pal" on iOS that has the ability to interface with other software to track your calories vital stats (via a FitBit) AND allow you to track your caloric intake by either searching for nutritional information online or scanning the bar code on food packaging.

FWIW when my wife started suffering from depression she made a commitment to get out of the house and exercise more. She lost a lot of weight and made some good friendships that have kept her motivated. My only regret is that I didn't do it along with her but somebody had to stay home with the kids. I'm trying to rectify that now that they're older and we now have a family membership at the Y and 2 new bicycles.

Since you and your wife are older I assume that that's not an issue. Two of the people in my wife's workout group are a very fit 70 year old couple so I take that as inspiration for both me and you. I'd stress that whatever you and your wife do, you do it TOGETHER. Like I said, it's as much mental as it is physical - not just for your bodies' health but for your relationship as well.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:48 AM

just a though .

Ive done this and found if i work out at home - i basically dont work out -
gyms seems exspensive but once you leave your house and you get their
you do your work out and then your done -leave your phone home !

Some people can work out at home - but most don't -thats why you see so much exercise equipment on the used market . ive even seen decent stuff in peoples trash !
Old 03-22-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
just a though .

Ive done this and found if i work out at home - i basically dont work out -
gyms seems exspensive but once you leave your house and you get their
you do your work out and then your done -leave your phone home !

Some people can work out at home - but most don't -thats why you see so much exercise equipment on the used market . ive even seen decent stuff in peoples trash !
Very good points. I'll confess that last night I completed 365 days of Apple Watch no cheating "closing the rings".

First, it was a really good nudge compared to a spouse or self. I was active to begin with but started new amounts of diversity in what I do. It was (is) really neat to know exactly what let this old fart enjoy food and size 32 pants at same time. The getting out and doing more is really good for the mind and sleep. The only good exercise I can get at home is stretching and a bunch of pushups he he he....

It is hard for me to leave the phone because I'm on call most of the time but your wrist watch as your phone is really nice. Very much worth the $10 a month.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic