The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-12-2019, 08:45 PM

Default Civil War Instrumental...

This instrumental is from the Ken Burns Civil War Soundtrack. I cannot find the sheet music for it. I have tried playing it by ear, but very slow going. I don't think it's two guitars, but definitely fingerstyle. It's from Russ Barenberg and Molly Mason. You can find it on Youtube, its called "Angel band", but dont confuse it with the other angel band by the Stanley Brothers.

Can anyone play this? It isn't very long, and sure sounds sweet.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:21 PM

sounds like two guitars to me. If so youll never figure it out exactly. Do your best to do your own version.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:46 PM

Just heard it for the first time and like it a lot. Definitely 2 guitars there. Theme is somewhat reminiscent of a Stephen Foster melody, at least at the start.

For one guitar, suggest a fingerpicking arrangement, maybe on a 12 string.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 03-13-2019, 01:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default angel band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
This instrumental is from the Ken Burns Civil War Soundtrack. I cannot find the sheet music for it. I have tried playing it by ear, but very slow going. I don't think it's two guitars, but definitely fingerstyle. It's from Russ Barenberg and Molly Mason. You can find it on Youtube, its called "Angel band", but dont confuse it with the other angel band by the Stanley Brothers.

Can anyone play this? It isn't very long, and sure sounds sweet.
It's the same song as the Stanley Brothers/Emmylou Harris version, as I hear it, but prettied up nicely. I've arranged and recorded it but can't find the tab/music. Maybe I never wrote it down. Sigh. Here's the site: https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/elmcmeen7

elmcmeen.com
elmcmeen.bandcamp.com
Old 03-13-2019, 06:26 AM

I have always loved the arrangement. I contacted Russ Barenberg and he said that he never wrote it down. I wish someone would make a fingerstyle arrangement of this song.
I've tried but can't seem to get it right. If anyone knows of an arrangement out there I wish they would let me know.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:50 AM

Thank you everyone for the great replies! I was afraid of that, being two guitars. After all, it does say two names under the title on the soundtrack. And yes, if there is sheet music out there for this I would be happy to purchase.

I am going to keep pecking at it I guess and come up with my own version, as mentioned. Nothing else I can do. Definitely fingerstyle and a lot of open "A" for the base.

There is also a great version of "Dixie" by Bobby Horton, I believe it's track 13. That however is one guitar and he does it on a classical. It doesn't sound too difficult, but it is.

I also emailed Barenberg, but no reply. Oh well, I wish these old time folk song, hopespun guys put out sheet music for these great instrumentals. Keep me posted!

PS. Thanks Elmcmeen for that link, I will most likely purchase that one song or maybe the whole book.

PSS. And thanks for moving this post, I wasn't sure where to put it, i'm new here. Now I know...

Last edited by Arch Stanton; 03-13-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:50 AM

Several years ago before you could find people's email addresses on line I searched and was able to find Bobby Horton's home address. I wrote him about Dixie and he sent me a hand written version. He did it at an an airport by memory. It was really nice of him to do it.
I have written it out on tabledit. If anyone wants the tab just message me with your email. I can send it as a PDF or in tabledit format. Its a great arrangement and not too hard to play

bob
Old 03-14-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M View Post
Several years ago before you could find people's email addresses on line I searched and was able to find Bobby Horton's home address. I wrote him about Dixie and he sent me a hand written version. He did it at an an airport by memory. It was really nice of him to do it.
I have written it out on tabledit. If anyone wants the tab just message me with your email. I can send it as a PDF or in tabledit format. Its a great arrangement and not too hard to play

bob

Bob, thank you so much, i will be sending you a message for that soon. But get this, i love his version of O' little town of Bethlehem, from the Lewis and Clark soundtrack, so i emailed him and he did the same thing for me! He hand wrote it and mailed it to me. If anyone wants a copy, send me a PM with email and i will send it to you.

Man, i wish that guy was my neighbor!

Last edited by Arch Stanton; 03-15-2019 at 07:16 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write