The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-21-2021, 06:15 AM

Default Nylon strings with good treble. Asking for recommendations..

I have a classical Yamaha that does not bring out the treble. What strings would you recommend that may enhance the treble?
Old 03-21-2021, 08:49 AM

Anything fluorocarbon.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-21-2021, 10:19 AM

Also, there's a possibility that your guitar is bass dominant. As a preliminary, check the saddle with a bright light at one end, to see that there are no gaps between it and the bridge slot. Are the bottom edges of the saddle sharp? Round those off as they can limit the saddle's ability to contact fully with the slot floor. As Steve said, carbon for strong trebles, and for less diffused bass, I'll suggest higher tension bass strings to pair with a lower tensioned treble.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:32 PM

I like Savarez Alliance Corum. To me the trebles are smooth with an extended top instead of being overly honky in the mids to upper mids like some nylon strings are (depending on guitar voicing of course). On the wrong guitar though, they can sound bad.

You may go higher tension in the trebles for a little more volume and snap, but I use normal tension.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 03-21-2021, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su_H. View Post
I have a classical Yamaha that does not bring out the treble. What strings would you recommend that may enhance the treble?
Hi Su,
I’m sorry to hear that. Bringing out the trebles on a treble challenged guitar is a very difficult ask.
If it happened suddenly, then maybe something structural as suggested above might be helpful.
If not, and you’re looking for a string solution, it might be a long experimentation effort. If it were me, I would go the Xtra hard tension route in a clear nylon set. Something like the D’Addario EJ 44. An excellent, and inexpensive, string that I currently use. String by Mail offers them in treble sets. (CNX-3T @ 2.79 each).
But, I don’t know and can’t predict if it will solve the issue for you. I can only hope that it does. At least, it’s not a very costly attempt!
Strings are very subjective tough. Feel free to try a bunch of different ones, and best of luck in solving the issue.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 03-21-2021, 05:11 PM

I play a Kremona/Orpheus Valley Romida. To be fair I was not originally enamoured with the sound but the strings make such a huge difference. For me the trebles simply sounded wrong. Dull. Plasticky.

Tried several makes, but for ten years now I've been using Savarez Alliance Cantiga, which uses Alliance trebles and Cantiga basses.

They suit this guitar very well, which is a spruce top, solid IR back and sides.

I bought a 1973 Ramirez last year for my girlfriend, which needed some TLC, and so the Alliance Cantiga went on that as well... It sounded unbelievable. Really.

Strings and guitars are funny though. My Lakewood has always loved Elixirs, but my cedar topped Yamaha steel string just doesn't work with them at all.
Maybe Yamaha guitars are too fussy. The Yamaha only plays with D'Addario.

Try the Savarez. They're expensive, but if they work...

Best of luck
Mike.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:36 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions.

When I bought this guitar, I was only wanting something to get me by. I probably will end up getting something nicer in a couple of years. Again, I appreciate the suggestions.

Su
Old 03-23-2021, 05:26 PM

Back in the 80’s, I used Savarez Traditional 520P1 with plastic wound 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (E, B, and G) strings on my Yamaha. Both treble and base sounds improved significantly.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:47 PM

I checked my guitar, around the saddle and bridge, and there seems to be nothing wrong. I ordered 3 different sets of strings: Pro Arte, Savarez, and another. 2 of them have carbon. The other has some type of composite....not sure what it is.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:01 PM

A couple of fluorocarbon sets I think might be good in your case :

Knobloch Actives CX (prob high-tension); best carbon trebles I've found.
Hannabach Goldin (med-high tension only) very nice, too.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
A couple of fluorocarbon sets I think might be good in your case :

Knobloch Actives CX (prob high-tension); best carbon trebles I've found.
Hannabach Goldin (med-high tension only) very nice, too.
I'll order the Knobloch set the next time around. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:57 AM

Yeah I can recommend Knobloch too. If available in your country the Sonatina Titanium Equinox strings are amazing. I made a video comparing some strings recently... more for the context of flamenco but may be useful to you? I put it on YouTube.

Please let us know how you get on and tell us what you find? :-)

Best Flamenco Guitar Costing Under 1000 ?! Juan Montes vs Navarro
https://youtu.be/7D08ZEY4-5s

Flamenco Arpeggio Falseta (lesson with TABS)
https://youtu.be/ZIZPllPFTTs

www.youtube.com/francisgrant1
Old 03-27-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz View Post
Yeah I can recommend Knobloch too. If available in your country the Sonatina Titanium Equinox strings are amazing. I made a video comparing some strings recently... more for the context of flamenco but may be useful to you? I put it on YouTube.

Please let us know how you get on and tell us what you find? :-)
I definitely will. Thank you for chiming in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical