The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-30-2021, 08:25 AM

Default Strumming Without a Pick

I never ever use a pick. The problem is that our new bandmate does and I cant seem to find a balance between us sonically. His amplified guitar sounds great-mine sounds muddy by comparison. I haven't been able to compensate by increasing the tone or rolling off some bass. When I do I hear too much clackity clack from my fingers and nails. I have all of the LR Baggs Align session pedals except for the EQ and also an old Fishman Aura Imaging Blender unit but have not come up with the right combo yet. Other than learning how to use a pick is there any advice you can give me? I play a Taylor 214e (ES2) a Carvin M980 (Fishman Prefix) and an old Guild F45 (old Fishman electronics) into a Fishman Artist amp...Thanks...

Last edited by lanielsen; 03-30-2021 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:14 AM

I started out as a teenage no-pick picker and realized right away I was outgunned. I really don't think there's a way to solve this with gear or technology.

Under normal circumstances I'm a player and a studio engineer and a live mixer, so I've not only heard a lot of other folks in the same situation, I've been given the responsibility for making it sonically work. All I can say is, you really need to learn to play with a flatpick and/or fingerpicks. Or be the only guitar player in the band.

Couch Standards
Old 03-30-2021, 10:34 AM

Make sure that what you play is different enough from what the other player plays?

What is your strumming technique? Down with fingernails and up with thumbnail?
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-30-2021, 11:05 AM

I find it easier to strum without a pick, and the lack of precision in terms of attack on the strings seems to covers a lot of my fingering mistakes. 1/16 note strumming patterns are also easier. But I kind-of think no-pick is a lazy idea, so I force myself to use a pick. I find that soft picks are the least challenging, but I'm trying to work my way to stiffer picks, as when done right, they sound better to me years.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanielsen View Post
I never ever use a pick. The problem is that our new bandmate does and I cant seem to find a balance between us sonically. His amplified guitar sounds great-mine sounds muddy by comparison. I haven't been able to compensate by increasing the tone or rolling off some bass. When I do I hear too much clackity clack from my fingers and nails. I have all of the LR Baggs Align session pedals except for the EQ and also an old Fishman Aura Imaging Blender unit but have not come up with the right combo yet. Other than learning how to use a pick is there any advice you can give me? I play a Taylor 214e (ES2) a Carvin M980 (Fishman Prefix) and an old Guild F45 (old Fishman electronics) into a Fishman Artist amp...Thanks...
There is a really obvious and easy answer. Your friend has to turn it down and get in line with the group or get lost. I run into this all the time. I cant count how many times I have had to cut people like that down in sound check and just about every time I do it the band jumps on there backs. Its comical how many bands have this problem and how much stress it puts on everyone.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

I came from the ukulele where picks are few and far between. At first I strummed my guitar like a ukulele but then when I started taking lessons my teacher pretty much told me to learn how to use a pick if I wanted to play guitar with others. So I have and I don't really think there is a way around it unless you expect everyone else to accommodate.

I still do the finger strum playing solo and for some songs, but I've pretty much gone away from it as I get better at using the pick.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-31-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
There is a really obvious and easy answer. Your friend has to turn it down and get in line with the group or get lost.
That's one of two obvious answers, I guess. Either you step up your game or he sinks to your level. This is an opportunity for you to grow.

Couch Standards
Old 03-31-2021, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

I played with no pick for years. decades. It was more fun. I
liked it. Besides - picks suck.

I played electric guitar with some guys on Thursday nights for a
while, they wished I'd use a pick.

I could do slow flat-picky things but trying to play a clean lead at
the proper speed to "Help On The Way" or to try and learn bluegrass
songs like "Black Mountain Rag" just wasn't happening.

Turns out that only the big pile of picks I bought 20 years ago
suck ... playing with the right picks is great ...

As far as I know Ricky Godfrey doesn't use a pick.

Mark Knopfler doesn't us a pick.

Everybody doesn't need a pick.

-Mike
Old 03-31-2021, 09:34 AM

I believe the only way to intelligently decide to not use a pick is to learn how to use a pick. Then with knowledge and experience you make an informed choice.

So so so many players are intentionally limiting their toolbox out of....what? Fear? Laziness? Stubborn-ness? I encourage everyone to continually learn and avoid being a permanent beginner.

I like to flatpick. I like fingerstyle. I've tried and decided I don't like pick-less strumming on any steel stringed instrument.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I believe the only way to intelligently decide to not use a pick is to learn how to use a pick. Then with knowledge and experience you make an informed choice.

So so so many players are intentionally limiting their toolbox out of....what? Fear? Laziness? Stubborn-ness? I encourage everyone to continually learn and avoid being a permanent beginner.

I like to flatpick. I like fingerstyle. I've tried and decided I don't like pick-less strumming on any steel stringed instrument.
This is where I have landed. There are songs that I want to play with that more out front tone that you get with a pick. I like to be able to have that in my toolbox as a choice.

Best,
Jayne
Old 04-01-2021, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post

Another thumb's up for these sentiments. I fingerpicked exclusively up to about a year ago and i did so for decades. I decided to learn to use a flatpick for hybrid picking and it has brought a lot of energy into my playing. I find I just gravitate to it now other than on pieces that are pure fingerstyle. With regard to strumming and single note playing, I find the flatpick gives better sonic control including cleaner notes and strums at lower volumes with more nuance.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanielsen View Post
Hi lanielsen…

I'm an all flesh fingerstyle player, but I've learned to down strum with the backs of the nails of my middle-n-third finger, and upstream with the edge of my thumbnail. I tried using a pick, but they just end up in places I can't reach while playing.

Actually I have developed three ways of strumming…from my YouTube channel

Hope this gives you new ideas.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-01-2021, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
This is where I have landed. There are songs that I want to play with that more out front tone that you get with a pick.
There's more rhythmic definition with a pick, too. How you feel about that depends on how good your time is, I guess.

Couch Standards
Old 04-04-2021, 09:58 PM

Try changing the shape of your fingers. When I play fingerstyle, I find that the more curled up my fingers are, the softer it sounds. If I extend it a bit, it seems to hit my nails more and it creates a brighter sound.

As with individual fingers, I find that my thumb, and index produces the loudest sound, so you might want to play around with that.

Also playing near the bridge can make it sound brighter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write