The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garymontgomery View Post
That's certainly reasonable & would explain why it's relatively cheap. May I ask why YOU think that the oval sound hole is a deal breaker?

Thank you...excellent info
As much as I hate to say it, when it comes to Martin's I'm somewhat of a traditionalist and as such just can't jive with the aesthetics of the oval soundhole. I do not pretend to know of a tonal difference one way or the other.

And the barn door reference was to the pre-amp on the Aura.

Truth be told though, I don't think you could really go wrong with any of your stated options, as they are all Martin OMs.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markd View Post
I sure love my Martin CEO-7 for all the purposes that you seek to use this guitar for. Size is comfy, string spacing perfect and tone is different from your other guitars. Good luck.
I'm sure that it is nice, but Mahogany b&s are a deal breaker IMO. I owned a (??) OOO-15 & (OOO body but all solid mahogany) did NOT like the tone.I've played/owned several spruce/mahogany guitars & didn't care for a single one. I am very much a spruce & Rosewood guy...

Thanks though...I appreciate the info!!

Last edited by Garymontgomery; 11-23-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:53 PM

Firstly, I don't have any experience with the 3 models you're looking at...

That said - if I were buying a Martin (which I did recently) I'd be looking for a 'classic' - let's be honest, it's what Martin 'do'. An oval soundhole, or a shedload of electronics aren't what I'd want from a Martin.

I bought an OM21 - you can't get much more traditional than that, and it's exactly what I wanted, that Martin sound and look, not something different.

Huss and Dalton 00-SP
Martin OM21
Martin 000-17SM
Sigma SDM-18S
Naylor 'Spered Evel' custom made

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
1990 omc, martin, omc aura, omc28e