The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-27-2014, 08:51 PM

Default NGD (belated) - Mule Resonator

I received my steel Mule Resonator from Matt Eich recently, though it's taken me a few weeks to actually get around to post this.

It's a work of art, and I couldn't be happier with it. Kudos to Matt who is just a real stand-up guy. The world would be a better place with more folks like him in it.

The guitar is simply beautiful, and the sound it makes is haunting and mesmerizing. It came in a gorgeous tweed hard case, and Matt even included a really nice hand-blown glass slide. I could gush on for days, so I'm just going to shut up now, and let the pictures (these ones kindly supplied by Matt of my guitar) do the talking.

-Adrian

Old 10-27-2014, 09:08 PM

That's just plain gorgeous. Love the depth of the finish on the neck and the texture of the finish on the body. Congrats!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinpeaksbirds View Post
I received my steel Mule Resonator from Matt Eich recently, though it's taken me a few weeks to actually get around to post this.

It's a work of art, and I couldn't be happier with it. Kudos to Matt who is just a real stand-up guy. The world would be a better place with more folks like him in it.

The guitar is simply beautiful, and the sound it makes is haunting and mesmerizing. It came in a gorgeous tweed hard case, and Matt even included a really nice hand-blown glass slide. I could gush on for days, so I'm just going to shut up now, and let the pictures (these ones kindly supplied by Matt of my guitar) do the talking.

-Adrian

Looks totally ballbustingly awesome. I have owned a few resonators over the years but I never felt that they were important parts of the whole thing. Just sort of follies, to be messed around with if the mood suited. So I ditched 'em.

Sounds like this guy is trying to make them really mainstream instruments, which is great!

NB I found that it's kind of hard to live with a slide-centric guitar with only 12 frets. It of course looks viciously cool but I don't know about long term. Hmmm.

- Mountain Whippoorwill (Or, How Hillbilly Jim Won The Great Fiddler's Prize), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Old 10-28-2014, 04:30 AM

That is sweet!

Congratulations!

Greg Rappleye
Old 10-28-2014, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

CONGRATS, and welcome to the Mule Team! I got mine (brass body) this past March and absolutely love it! A BIG +1 on your comments about Matt...one of the good guys for sure!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 01-05-2015, 08:54 PM

"the Mule team"..... I like the sound of that. Is that you, Dale?

Old 01-20-2015, 04:37 PM

Man that's gorgeous.

I checked out his site: http://muleresophonic.com/

Very cool.

But....BUT! He offers a P90 pickup as an option.

I think my eyes almost fell out of my head when I read that.

That's starting to sound like some crazy holy grail business to me.

Anyone at all have any idea about the sound you get out of this thing plugged in?

Want.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:41 PM

Also, for The Mule Team:

Old 01-20-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_hillbilly View Post
Looks totally ballbustingly awesome. I have owned a few resonators over the years but I never felt that they were important parts of the whole thing. Just sort of follies, to be messed around with if the mood suited. So I ditched 'em.

Sounds like this guy is trying to make them really mainstream instruments, which is great!

NB I found that it's kind of hard to live with a slide-centric guitar with only 12 frets. It of course looks viciously cool but I don't know about long term. Hmmm.
There is a lot of sound in those things. I have mine set up for standard playing. Tho I mostly use a slide, it is not at all necessary. I can get fun slide sounds out as a lap steel or pinky-slide, and then just grab it and make it kick with a pick. Play it with bare fingers for a whole 'nother sound spectrum.

Wood-bodied instruments are my first love, but the Mule is an easy second.

*everything* is a tone control
Old 01-20-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donh View Post
There is a lot of sound in those things. I have mine set up for standard playing. Tho I mostly use a slide, it is not at all necessary. I can get fun slide sounds out as a lap steel or pinky-slide, and then just grab it and make it kick with a pick. Play it with bare fingers for a whole 'nother sound spectrum.

Wood-bodied instruments are my first love, but the Mule is an easy second.
Cool little review.

I tried one of the National M1s last week--it's a mahogany bodied tri-cone, and it has a sweet, somewhat mellower sound; "woody," perhaps rather obviously.

I could easily see having one one day.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:40 PM

Smile mules resonator ++

I have a few National (new- triolian, n german silver, El Trovador) as well as a 1929 tricone. I just played a just delivered steel mule.

The steel mule is one of the sweetest sounding steel guitars you will ever hear. The aesthetics as so good that I would use it as a peace of art if it didn't sound so good

Understand like all guitars it has its own voice so don't expect it to sound like a national, it sounds like a mule and that is incredible.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:13 PM

Congrats, great looking piece!

Happy Picking!

Play Long. Play Strong. GuitarMoose.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
matt eich, mule, resonator