The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2014, 08:44 AM

Default N G D - Republic Tri-cone

Well, I've wanted a tri-cone resonator for sometime now. I really wanted a National but I could never quite get myself to spend that much on a guitar that I might not end up using that much. Time was dragging on and I realized that I had let a few years slip by and still no tri-cone. The nearest place to even check one out in person was at least a 2 hour drive away. I decided to order one on-line and go with either Hot Rod Steel or Republic. If I really have to, I can get a National later.

I ended up E mailing Frank at Republic on a Monday (10/27) afternoon and asking if they had a Classic Tri-cone style 201 in stock or if there was a waiting period. He replied the next day (10/28) and assured me that they were in stock and ready to go. I placed the order and that afternoon received an E mail saying that my order was received and ready for shipment. They also supplied a tracking number; it was coming UPS. The tracking later showed that it was dropped off at UPS on the 30th.

Wednesday 11/5, it arrived. It was packed in a cardboard box (no dents or holes), then bubble wrap, then a very nice soft case. There was more bubble wrap inside that case so every thing was safe and secure, no room to slide or bang around. The case came with a nylon strap for back-carrying it.

I think the guitar is beautiful. It is a nickle-brass body, with some engraving, and in a high polish finish. The action was fairly high; about .150 on the low E and .130 on the high E at the twelfth fret. I peeked in and there was plenty of saddle left so lowering it should be no problem. There was a reasonable amount of relief in the neck. I did find that high on the finger board, up where it was on the guitar body, the fret ends were a little sharp.

Now for perspective, I've never had a resonator before. The guitar that gets the bulk of my playing is a Martin HD-28. The bass on the Martin is very strong and sometimes overwhelming when I play finger style, even though I play with bare fingers. My palm muting is not really the greatest in the world. I put the tri-cone in standard tuning and checked it out. Playing it, I noticed that the high E really rang out and had good sustain. The B and G did too but a hair less. The D was quieter, and the A and low E even quieter, but still okay. I think my ear was really set to the Martin bass. As an afterthought I turned the guitar around and set it on my knee facing me and tried it. Each and every string rang out nicely with plenty of volume and was what I was hoping for in a tri-cone.

Next I compared the open string to the twelfth fret with a good tuner. They were all within just few cents and as good as I would hope for with a straight saddle. I went up each string and every fret. All sounded fine. I heard no buzzing or rattles anywhere.

As I kept playing around I realized that flatpicking brought out much more of the guitar's personality. Which then led me to really digging in with my bare fingers. That gave me the sound I wanted.

So..........

First, the obligatory fireplace shot. Please forgive the poor photography.

A peek at the saddle.

The action.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:15 AM

Wow, congratulations. Those pictures are mighty fine.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:30 AM

That "high action" is there because most will go straight to bottleneck on one of those. Or at least will play more bottleneck than the average flattop guitar owner will.

You figured out a couple of the biggest things with resonators.

They like to be played with authority. Once a good set of cones breaks in, and yes, just like an electric guitar amp, the cones on resonators break in just like a speaker, you can play with a lighter touch, and get amazing subtlety out of them. But right out of the box they like a firm hand. And they can be so much louder than a standard guitar, most folks won't go there, and won't hear how good their guitar can sound.

The other thing, is what you hear vs. what those in the audience hear. A tricone especially puts out sound from two areas. The cone area and the grills. The grills are more bass heavy, and the cones more treble heavy. But those sounds come together out in front and you end up with a balanced tone. To the player especially, the bass can sound little weak. But out in front it's not supposed to be a Martin, but it will be more in the Larrivee/Taylor range of balance. But most play blues on these, and THEY don't hear a driving bass in their living room, so they can be disappointed. This was designed to be a professional's instrument, and to be heard over a Band. It projects sound. It doesn't so much envelop you in sound.

You figured that stuff out right out of the box. Well done!

You will need to work on your palm and fretting hand muting though. You'll figure it out.

Congrats! Make sure to post pics when you get your National
Old 11-06-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingoccc View Post
Well, I've wanted a tri-cone resonator for sometime now. I really wanted a National but I could never quite get myself to spend that much on a guitar that I might not end up using that much. Time was dragging on and I realized that I had let a few years slip by and still no tri-cone. The nearest place to even check one out in person was at least a 2 hour drive away. I decided to order one on-line and go with either Hot Rod Steel or Republic. If I really have to, I can get a National later.

I ended up E mailing Frank at Republic on a Monday (10/27) afternoon and asking if they had a Classic Tri-cone style 201 in stock or if there was a waiting period. He replied the next day (10/28) and assured me that they were in stock and ready to go. I placed the order and that afternoon received an E mail saying that my order was received and ready for shipment. They also supplied a tracking number; it was coming UPS. The tracking later showed that it was dropped off at UPS on the 30th.

Wednesday 11/5, it arrived. It was packed in a cardboard box (no dents or holes), then bubble wrap, then a very nice soft case. There was more bubble wrap inside that case so every thing was safe and secure, no room to slide or bang around. The case came with a nylon strap for back-carrying it.

I think the guitar is beautiful. It is a nickle-brass body, with some engraving, and in a high polish finish. The action was fairly high; about .150 on the low E and .130 on the high E at the twelfth fret. I peeked in and there was plenty of saddle left so lowering it should be no problem. There was a reasonable amount of relief in the neck. I did find that high on the finger board, up where it was on the guitar body, the fret ends were a little sharp.

Now for perspective, I've never had a resonator before. The guitar that gets the bulk of my playing is a Martin HD-28. The bass on the Martin is very strong and sometimes overwhelming when I play finger style, even though I play with bare fingers. My palm muting is not really the greatest in the world. I put the tri-cone in standard tuning and checked it out. Playing it, I noticed that the high E really rang out and had good sustain. The B and G did too but a hair less. The D was quieter, and the A and low E even quieter, but still okay. I think my ear was really set to the Martin bass. As an afterthought I turned the guitar around and set it on my knee facing me and tried it. Each and every string rang out nicely with plenty of volume and was what I was hoping for in a tri-cone.

Next I compared the open string to the twelfth fret with a good tuner. They were all within just few cents and as good as I would hope for with a straight saddle. I went up each string and every fret. All sounded fine. I heard no buzzing or rattles anywhere.

As I kept playing around I realized that flatpicking brought out much more of the guitar's personality. Which then led me to really digging in with my bare fingers. That gave me the sound I wanted.

So..........

First, the obligatory fireplace shot. Please forgive the poor photography.

A peek at the saddle.

The action.

What a superb looking guitar! Are those made in the USA?

- Mountain Whippoorwill (Or, How Hillbilly Jim Won The Great Fiddler's Prize), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Old 11-06-2014, 01:53 PM

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Blue for your insight too.

Hillbilly - I understand they are made in Asia then sent to Texas where they are given a going over to address any issues or faults with them.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Wow, what a great looking instrument! Good for you! Congratulations!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
republic, resonator, tricone