The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Deleted Post

Deleted Post

Last edited by alohachris; 12-23-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
What a fabulous thread!!! As a fellow traveller on the home recording learning curve the discussion here is providing me with an expanded range of ideas with which to experiment. Here's a big thanks from me to all the contributors and especially to Anton for initially getting the thread going.
I agree. I certainly didnt expect it to go on for 7 pages. Thanks everyone. I think I have about exhausted all my options with my guitar and my mics. A friend is going to come over with some different guitars sometime soon, and I may move my rig downstairs just to see how that sounds. If its radically different Ill post some clips.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
I agree. I certainly didnt expect it to go on for 7 pages. Thanks everyone. I think I have about exhausted all my options with my guitar and my mics. A friend is going to come over with some different guitars sometime soon, and I may move my rig downstairs just to see how that sounds. If its radically different Ill post some clips.
Sounds like a plan. Do, if you do not already, wear good headphones and monitor live when moving around the mikes to find what sounds good to you. Probably closed back headphones for this particular use and set loud enough to predominate over the sound directly from the guitar. Try one of the mikes pointed somewhere south of the bridge instead of towards the soundhole (it is often a more distinct lower frequency sound coming from this area).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

In an interest of changing what is presented to the mics I have been playing with alaska picks for the past few days. Surprisingly they are not a huge adjustment. Ill try to post some clips tonight.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:29 PM

Anton, is that what Steve Baughman has been using recently?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9bm4W_0rxQ

I see on most recent video clips that he is using some sort of fingerpicks, and wondered why: the acrylics are common but you don't see many fingerstylists wearing picks.

Kym
Old 11-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Yea Steve is using Alaska picks and some sort of thumb pick. and I think maybe a different pick on his ring finger, Im not sure. I think he has said he tried arylics at one point and didnt like em. When I first met him he was using nails and flesh. He sounds good no matter what.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Here's a much more recent video of Steve (I shot this for him in May of this year):

You can see his fingerpicks pretty clearly in the opening shot. He uses Alaska piks on 2 fingers and a regular plastic thumb pick on the 3rd finger. I know he's explained why, but I don't remember clearly.

By the way, in case this sounds ok, you can see the mic placement here pretty clearly

Last edited by Doug Young; 11-01-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Here's a much more recent video of Steve (I shot this for him in May of this year):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp5666QQqDA

You can see his fingerpicks pretty clearly in the opening shot. He uses Alaska piks on 2 fingers and a regular plastic thumb pick on the 3rd finger. I know he's explained why, but I don't remember clearly.

By the way, in case this sounds ok, you can see the mic placement here pretty clearly
A lot of these guys (as in this case) are using pickups. That alters the sound a lot, and usually (unless piezo) for a rounder, warmer sound. Tempting if I did not have such an anathema to plugging in.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
A lot of these guys (as in this case) are using pickups. That alters the sound a lot, and usually (unless piezo) for a rounder, warmer sound. Tempting if I did not have such an anathema to plugging in.
No pickup in this recording, Rick. Steve suggested recording a pickup track in case we needed it. I didn't use it in the mix - just the 2 stereo mics.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No pickup in this recording, Rick. Steve suggested recording a pickup track in case we needed it. I didn't use it in the mix - just the 2 stereo mics.
Saw the cord, but if you left it out of the recording. You know what I mean about the pick up sound though, especially amoung the tapping crowd.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:58 PM

Great arrangement and playing.

I notice that both mics appear to be pointing at the sound hole. Is that because they are out of the proximity effect because of distance?

Kym
Old 11-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

I'd say that's maybe a bit of an optical illusion. The mics are probably around 15-20 inches apart, maybe a foot from the guitar and turned slightly inward. I'd say one is mostly "aimed" at around the neck/body joint, and the other somewhere around the bridge. Pretty much my typical mic placement. You generally don't want to place a mic directly in front of the soundhole but having a mic tending in that general direction from off to the side isn't usually an issue. The directionality of mics isn't that specific - I could probably put them in that same spot and face them directly forward so they don't look like they're pointing at the soundhole without really affecting the sound very much.

I usually try to keep mics out of sight in my own videos, but sometimes they creep in. Here's one of mine with a fairly similar setup - same mics. A little harder to see the mics, but they show up along the bottom now and then

BTW, you asked about proximity effect vs soundhole, and that's really 2 different things, unrelated. You get proximity effect from a mic being close to the source, no matter what the source is.

Last edited by Doug Young; 11-01-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Here is my ADK pair using Alaska picks.

https://soundcloud.com/antonemery/ad...w-alaska-picks

I had kind of hoped it would sound alot different than flesh and nails, but comparing the two maybe not so much. With the picks its maybe a less dark on the high end.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Here is my ADK pair using Alaska picks.

https://soundcloud.com/antonemery/ad...w-alaska-picks

I had kind of hoped it would sound alot different than flesh and nails, but comparing the two maybe not so much. With the picks its maybe a less dark on the high end.
Some clicking of the picks. You are probably better off without them. Just for an experiment, try a recording picking closer to the bridge (your thumb aligned with the bottom of the soundhole).

Old 11-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'd say that's maybe a bit of an optical illusion. The mics are probably around 15-20 inches apart, maybe a foot from the guitar and turned slightly inward. I'd say one is mostly "aimed" at around the neck/body joint, and the other somewhere around the bridge. Pretty much my typical mic placement.
Do like the sound of this recording and to clarify the tracks are panned hard left and right ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD