The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-27-2019, 10:06 AM

Default Removing the Anthem's plastic control piece

I have an a "full" Anthem and the large plastic soundhole control piece had some drops of crazy glue added by the installer to help secure it. I now need to uninstall it and I was won wondering if there are any tips to remove it without risking damage to the wood on the inside of the soundhole? Would some heat from a hairdryer loosen it? Use an exacto knife to try and score in between first? Just slowly wiggle and pry it?

thanks
Old 09-27-2019, 12:46 PM

I would probably try to wick some super glue solvent (I think the stuff I have is called unglue) in and give it some time to work and see if it wiggles any. Only a few drops.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Hey Jack,

Neither of those methods for sure. You almost certainly will damage the wood.

use a couple drops of nail polish remover on a Q-tip. Dab the areas with the superglue one at a time, until the glue dissolves. Wiggle the preamp after you dab, and repeat as necessary. It will come loose in short order. Remember-only a couple drops at a time.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 09-27-2019, 02:13 PM

But the superglue was used between the plastic of the volume control piece
and the wood. I cannot see the glue. How can I get acetone in between there? Just try and let it
seep in the crack where the piece is attached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
Hey Jack,

Neither of those methods for sure. You almost certainly will damage the wood.

use a couple drops of nail polish remover on a Q-tip. Dab the areas with the superglue one at a time, until the glue dissolves. Wiggle the preamp after you dab, and repeat as necessary. It will come loose in short order. Remember-only a couple drops at a time.

Mark
Old 09-27-2019, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Did they use the double sided tape and the superglue?
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 09-27-2019, 10:07 PM

Mostly the tape but a few drop of super glue in a spot that
Needed a little extra help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
Did they use the double sided tape and the superglue?
Old 09-27-2019, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Mostly the tape but a few drop of super glue in a spot that
Needed a little extra help
Well if you can’t figure out where the super glue is, it will be impossible for me to tell you where to put the acetone. Do not just randomly pour it or seep a bunch where it attaches. You might just ask who did the install where exactly they used it. I’m having trouble understanding where or why they thought it needed the superglue to “help”. It’s not something I’ve heard of or seen before. I thought you knew where it was applied. I know of no other way to solve the issue without risking damage to the top.

Mark

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair