The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-02-2021, 09:52 PM

Default Bourgeois neck finish issues?

Hi folks,

I’ve recently picked up a used Bourgeois OMC circa 2009. It looks like the previous owners have taken great care of the instrument, and it shows minimal play wear.

The only thing concerning to me is the neck finish - it’s almost as if any spots in the grain of the neck that have been filled with grain filler are now blushing under the lacquer.

The finish is smooth to the touch. Just have it a quick wipe with naphtha and no changes.

I’ll be sending some pictures to Bourgeois for insight, just curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar. I suspect a refinish is in store for me?

Pictures in link - https://ibb.co/album/zW7V7S

Last edited by BCpicker; 05-03-2021 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 05-03-2021, 04:47 AM
Charter Member

This might be overly simplistic, but if it feels smooth in the absence of name brand spray cleaner, maybe don't use the name brand spray cleaner, it's certainly not necessary.

Is there something else I'm missing here?

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-03-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
This might be overly simplistic, but if it feels smooth in the absence of name brand spray cleaner, maybe don't use the name brand spray cleaner, it's certainly not necessary.

Is there something else I'm missing here?
I agree with you about the cleaner - but there seems to be an underlying issue with the finish that just doesn’t sit well with me. I haven’t seen this before on any of my instruments (Martin, Collings, Lowden etc)
Old 05-03-2021, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

You'll likely get some more helpful responses if you're able to capture what you're talking in a picture.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-03-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCpicker View Post
it’s almost as if any spots in the grain of the neck that have been filled with grain filler are now blushing under the lacquer.

The finish is smooth to the touch, but when a cloth and some name brand spray cleaner (Gibson or planet waves) is used, it begins to get gummy.
!
Regarding the gumminess, clean the neck with mineral spirits. That should remove anything used as a cleaner that could be softening when you apply the things you're using.

About the blushing: no one will be able to help with that without photos.

The way you write of this implies to me that you believe that the gumminess is related to the blushing. I'm thinking they are two different issues.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:38 AM

Pics in link of original post. Thanks for the help everyone
Old 05-03-2021, 12:35 PM

That is not blush as I know it. Looks like a finish problem over the pore fill, whatever it is.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Ive seen similar spots when I applied a water-based laq to mahogany. Not sure what caused it, and I ended up stripping and re-finishing. Wouldnt do that with a Bourgeois though! Let us know what his shop says.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-03-2021, 09:40 PM

I appreciate everyone’s input!

Necks off and heading out for a refinish. I’m super lucky to have Vancouver Guitar Finishing just a stones throw away.

Cheers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair