The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-26-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Curious I was so I looked at the SM kit linked above and it says 'accurately bent sides' but according to the image they provide they don't looks accurately bent at all?

I never had a problem with the sides, those look like what I had received from them. The mold you use is what makes them accurate.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldad View Post
I’ve made tables, cabinets and guitars, the main difference is time. Unless you were spending weeks inlaying your cabinets you may be surprised just how long building a guitar takes, mainly because to do it well you’ll need to build a jig for that stage of operations.

Enjoy your journey.
Thanks ! I have spent weeks sometimes building a gunstock. With the shaping, inletting the action and barrel channel. Then installing the inlays, rubbing in a hand rubbed oil finish, then checkering.
Really looking forward to this venture.

Have a great evening
Bill
Old 04-27-2021, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill1962 View Post
Thanks ! I have spent weeks sometimes building a gunstock. With the shaping, inletting the action and barrel channel. Then installing the inlays, rubbing in a hand rubbed oil finish, then checkering.

Have a great evening
Bill
My first StewMac build took me about 100 hours. There was a steep learning curve.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:42 AM

0:38 in the video on the page. "We have done all the critical machining of the neck, back and sides right here in our Ohio shop." At 1:00 it says "You got a slotted fretboard, shaped neck, preslotted bone nut, shaped bone saddle, inlays..."

So I would say with a very high confidence that this kit will go together quite well for you. Have fun.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Have a great evening
Bill
I was asked about 10 years ago to make some gunstocks here in australia for a local rifle group, they are harder to make than they look.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-27-2021, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
I was asked about 10 years ago to make some gunstocks here in australia for a local rifle group, they are harder to make than they look.

Steve
Yes Sir you are correct. Depending on the type of wood, grain and any hidden knots etc. They can definitely try your patience
Old 04-27-2021, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone. I am excited and nervous at the same time thinking of starting this.
Will keep you posted
Old 04-27-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the encouraging words everyone. I am excited and nervous at the same time thinking of starting this.
Will keep you posted
I am always excited and nervous, it is a good combination for success, you will be ready for any curve balls when they come your way.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Curious I was so I looked at the SM kit linked above and it says 'accurately bent sides' but according to the image they provide they don't looks accurately bent at all?
I got linked into this one today, was unaware stewmac now offered their kit assembly guitars as a pre glued body.

Pretty good for someone starting out and they are a bit nervous about gluing the body up

Full description here

https://www.stewmac.com/kits-and-pro...NrIclBD8rp4n3M
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 05-14-2021 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:

There's always a little springback when bent sides are unsupported. These will easily conform to the mold that they are placed in while building.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:44 AM

I don't use molds so I honestly would not know about that but by the looks of it that seems like a lot of stress. When I bend sides I always go a little bit further than necessary and they come back to normal the next day. If they go past normal then simply taking them dry to a hot pipe again will get it done.

It almost looks to me that stew Mac wants you to learn a bit of side bending with this kit by just getting you to touch them up. I imagine if so it would be in the instructions. If not then it seems like a good opportunity to learn.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I don't use molds so I honestly would not know about that but by the looks of it that seems like a lot of stress. When I bend sides I always go a little bit further than necessary and they come back to normal the next day. If they go past normal then simply taking them dry to a hot pipe again will get it done.

It almost looks to me that stew Mac wants you to learn a bit of side bending with this kit by just getting you to touch them up. I imagine if so it would be in the instructions. If not then it seems like a good opportunity to learn.
What is a little stress between friends? By the time the blocks and the linings are on there won't be all that much stress on the top and back. It is not like they are trying to extract the last percent of acoustical goodness in the kit. Just a reasonably well sounding guitar.
Old 05-15-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Not much stress in those sides.

I can't imagine building without using a mold and can't think of anyone I know that wouldn't use one, but I suppose there are some who do.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Not much stress in those sides.

I can't imagine building without using a mold and can't think of anyone I know that wouldn't use one, but I suppose there are some who do.
I haven't used one in a while.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:48 PM

IMHO having done both methods I don't think of the 'advantage' of using a mold is so that you can force fit sides that are not accurately bent. I see it more as just another method or technique in the building process... A different way of doing things. In fact it seems to me that most who use a mold also use side bending machines which are very accurate. It comes out of the machine and fits right into the mold.

When not using a mold you can still kind of sort of fudge fit sides that are not perfect. It's not really that much more difficult (especially if you use a bending machine). It's just another way of accomplishing the same task.

Open face building is a Spanish tradition and there are probably thousands of luthiers out there that still do it. Cumpiano and Natelsons book which is generally considered the 'bible' of DIY craft building is done in this method so not only do professional luthiers build this way but many many hobbyist too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair