The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-01-2011, 02:46 PM
*mahoganut*

Ashvin, thanks for your comments.

Fullsmile, the one thing you didn't mention was whether a Rainsong would satisfy your "guitar tone" desires. Rest assured... I'm loving mine!

Phil
Old 09-01-2011, 02:48 PM

The AGF comes through again. Thanks Ashvin!
Old 09-01-2011, 02:50 PM
strummin' an x12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashvin View Post
It just occurred to me that my above post may be "against forum rules" -- a manufacturer posting about their own product. If so, please delete the post or let me know and I will do so.

Thanks
If I'm not mistaken, you're getting exactly what you're paying for (among other things), the opportunity to freely discuss and even promote your product as an AGF sponsor.

But I could be wrong(?).

My only problem with your post was your use of the colloquialism, "knock on wood."

In this instance, "knock on carbon" is far more apropos.

:-)

~ S.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Ashvin, thanks for your comments.

Fullsmile, the one thing you didn't mention was whether a Rainsong would satisfy your "guitar tone" desires. Rest assured... I'm loving mine!

Phil
Phil as always tone is king. I have played a couple rainsongs that I thought sounded fairly nice. I live in San Diego so humidity isn't really a concern so I have always bought wood since I don't even need to humidify. I don't play in public so my guitars are just for fun and I don't really worry about them getting dings at my house. As far as tone goes I have plenty of guitars to satisfy my moods so this is really more about durable construction that still has a nice tone. I really hate backpacker guitar sound. Even if it isn't my favorite tone that wouldn't be a big problem as a wood guitar is not an option for the use I have planned. I know some models have a flat finish which I prefer but have never played. Any info on those or a place in San Diego with a large selection? I most often go to Buffalo Brothers but they don't have them.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashvin View Post
We cannot fix any issues with your car , however, if you are talking about your RainSong, if you promise to store it in your case, we will cover it under the warranty.
Man I thought I might catch you there with my quick lawyer-like double talk but you saw right through it! Oh well looks like I need a Rainsong and a new car.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
We cannot fix any issues with your car , however, if you are talking about your RainSong, if you promise to store it in your case, we will cover it under the warranty.
Smart AND funny

Steve
Old 09-06-2011, 08:49 AM

I can speak from practical experience. I own Guitar Affair and a stock a sizable assortment of Rainsongs. I send them to customers all over the country to use while they are on vacations, business trips, or gigging for a few days. The Rainsongs have performed marvelously and after hundreds of trips, I haven't had a single failure and haven't had to perform a single neck adjustment.

I ship UPS ground, so they sit in very hot trucks on their way to places like New Mexico and Arizona in the summer, and they sit in very cold trucks on their way to the Northeast in the winter. They are as solid as a rock, and I am moving to using them exclusively for my rental fleet.

Forget about all the science, it's this track record that has me convinced the marketing isn't hype. These things do hold up under conditions I would be terrified to put standard acoustic guitars through.

I've also sold a number of the guitars, both new and slightly used, and also have had zero customer incidents.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:54 AM
*mahoganut*

Jim, welcome to the posting section of the forum!!

Folks, I had several excellent communications with Jim about some straps, and found him to be very responsive and helpful. So, although not a sponsor (hint), he offers a service (rental of fine guitars) that I haven't seen elsewhere and is worth checking out.

Best,

Phil
Old 09-06-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Jim, welcome to the posting section of the forum!!

Folks, I had several excellent communications with Jim about some straps, and found him to be very responsive and helpful. So, although not a sponsor (hint), he offers a service (rental of fine guitars) that I haven't seen elsewhere and is worth checking out.

Best,

Phil
Thanks Phil,

I've never posted before, because I do run a business, but this poster seemed like he could definitely benefit from my direct experience with the Rainsongs. Thanks for the poke also. I'll get sponsorship in queue.

Jim
Old 09-10-2011, 01:59 PM

Hey, Ashvin:

While I was in the Guitar Center in Nashville (on a cartrip vacation), I was thinking that I would love an acoustic that could handle extreme trunk temps. There just so happened to be a Rainsong in the acoustic room when I inquired if anybody made an acoustic that wouldn't fall apart in the extreme heat (I had never even seen a Rainsong before that day, but was thinking maybe this Rainsong could handle the heat).

Although I thought the staff was extremely knowledgeable otherwise, I am now disappointed that the salesperson said nobody makes an acoustic that could handle extreme temps... I walked out emptyhanded when I was told there isn't an acoustic that can handle extremes temps. I'm headed over to your website to check things out...
Old 09-10-2011, 06:30 PM

Kind of a side topic: How do all metal guitars hold up in these conditions? Something like a National? I guess the neck is wood, isn't it?
Old 09-10-2011, 06:46 PM

This is a really great thread. I commute to college and i have a 2 hours between my classes so i was thinkin a rainsong would be perfect to always keep in the car. This has just reinforced my views
Old 09-11-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calebk View Post
This is a really great thread. I commute to college and i have a 2 hours between my classes so i was thinkin a rainsong would be perfect to always keep in the car. This has just reinforced my views
I've been in your situation. I would recommend always taking your guitar with you to classes (even though it's a pain). If someone (a thief) were to observe you regularly coming out to your car at a certain time each day to get your guitar, that person may take advantage of an opportunity to wait you out in the morning and break into your car when they know you're in class and the guitar is in the trunk.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timallums View Post
I am now disappointed that the salesperson said nobody makes an acoustic that could handle extreme temps... I walked out emptyhanded when I was told there isn't an acoustic that can handle extremes temps.
I can't imagine a salesperson responding to someone who wishes to put their guitar purchase under extreme conditions saying anything else. This is a nut-so world and sure as the sun will rise tomorrow if a salesperson promises a customer that a guitar can absolutely handle extreme temperatures somebody is gonna go out and stick the guitar in an oven and then sue when the guitar melts.

I'm bettin' in this case the salesman was glad you walked out empty handed as I would never want the responsibility of promising a customer a guitar can handle extreme treatment of any kind. It is the very essence of "asking for trouble".
Old 09-11-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I can't imagine a salesperson responding to someone who wishes to put their guitar purchase under extreme conditions saying anything else. This is a nut-so world and sure as the sun will rise tomorrow if a salesperson promises a customer that a guitar can absolutely handle extreme temperatures somebody is gonna go out and stick the guitar in an oven and then sue when the guitar melts.

I'm bettin' in this case the salesman was glad you walked out empty handed as I would never want the responsibility of promising a customer a guitar can handle extreme treatment of any kind. It is the very essence of "asking for trouble".
I can see your point- Some yo-yo trying something stupid and then suing-- All I was envisioning was what I was experiencing on my road trip-- Not knowing where we might stop and for how long-- Went to Graceland first instead of the hotel because of timing: I keep an AC technician's thermometer in the center air-conditioning vent (it was reading 120 when we got in the car to leave Graceland). I took a Stratocaster on our trip which had no issues hidden under a blanket in the back of the Tahoe, but an ordinary acoustic would have been toast.

I would like to avoid extreme temps when possible, but sometimes you can't plan for all contingencies, such as when timing wouldn't allow us to unload at the hotel before going to Graceland.

Now, because of this forum, I'm beginning to form the opinion that there are a couple of brands out there that I wouldn't have to be so worried about occasionally subjecting to less than ideal temps.

Don't worry, though- I won't be suing somebody if a guitar doesn't pass the "sauna test".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber