The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-06-2021, 11:30 AM

Default Emerald Amicus report

I finally had the chance to play my Emerald Amicus in a group setting yesterday and was very impressed. I play Irish traditional music (DADGAD) and I took my Amicus with me to a session yesterday - it was the first post-Covid session. The Amicus really added a new voice to the session that included a couple of fiddles, a flute, and a button box. It offered a bouzouki kind of sound, especially when cross picked. I really liked the way it handled, moving from airy cross picking to heavy strumming as the tunes proceeded. It is a winner.

Cheers,
Dave
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran
Old 05-06-2021, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcginnis View Post
I finally had the chance to play my Emerald Amicus in a group setting yesterday and was very impressed. I play Irish traditional music (DADGAD) and I took my Amicus with me to a session yesterday - it was the first post-Covid session. The Amicus really added a new voice to the session that included a couple of fiddles, a flute, and a button box. It offered a bouzouki kind of sound, especially when cross picked. I really liked the way it handled, moving from airy cross picking to heavy strumming as the tunes proceeded. It is a winner.

Cheers,
Dave
Excellent - that’s great to hear, Dave. I ordered mine 10 days ago, so I have a little while to wait before I can treat myself to similar sounds.

Did you tune to DADGAD with the stock strings?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-06-2021, 03:26 PM
Guest 928

Variety is important and the Amicus certainly does diversify a collection of musical instruments. Congratulations. My diversification, at the moment, is an ordered 6 string baritone ukulele (not CF and muy affordable).
Old 05-06-2021, 05:22 PM

David Eastwood - I use the Newtone strings for the Amicus that can be found here: https://newtonestrings.com/shop/emer...son-12-string/. They take a little time to get made and sent, but they work really well with the Amicus. I got my Amicus used, so do not know what Emerald provides as stock strings.
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran
Old 05-06-2021, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
David Eastwood - I use the Newtone strings for the Amicus that can be found here: https://newtonestrings.com/shop/emer...son-12-string/. They take a little time to get made and sent, but they work really well with the Amicus. I got my Amicus used, so do not know what Emerald provides as stock strings.
Got it. I was planning to stock up with a pack or two of the Newtones before mine arrives. I use Newtones on my X20-7, and love them.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-06-2021, 05:31 PM

I just put a set of Newtone's DADGAD strings on my X-20 and loved the result - it really enhanced the bass with the 59 on there.
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran
Old 05-11-2021, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Glad to hear that you really like the Amicus. I own a gorgeous X20, and am thinking I would love to have an Amicus to add to the herd. Hoping I can find a reasonably priced used one here in the States. Only requirement would be a pickup, but don't necessarily care if it has a wood veneer or not. I'll use this for gigging with the acoustic duo I'm in to provide some mandolin sounds.

Quote:

Cheers,
Dave
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber