The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-05-2021, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
A successful operation. Looking guitar like. A closed and trimmed up box.

Now onto the binding and neck... after I read about a thousand papers.

Nice Hourglass Figure
Old 05-05-2021, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Thanks.

I ended up making the bend on the waist a bit tighter than the plan calls for, so the waist is a bit narrower, but I kind of liked it and decided to just go with it.

But, between that, the slightly larger soundhole that I had to cut because of the extra material taken when the cutting bit came loose, and the three ring rosette, the proportions are a bit off. But I don't hate it.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-05-2021, 08:11 AM

Default A thought

This is OP's guitar, he's free to build it as he chooses. I think there's no errors here, just bits of nonconformity to somebody else's drawing. I think that nonconformity is not an error, just how a few things (and there's going to be more) worked out. Nice careful work is what I see.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

I appreciate that.

The fact is that I think I'm the only one who's been at all critical. All the other comments have been constructive and supportive (which I also very much appreciate).

Always my own worst critic.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-18-2021, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Had a little bit of time to work on it last night. Installed the end wedge. I got a little bit of a gap towards the narrow end. I'm a bit wary of filling it, because I know it'll darken the maple strip if I use CA glue. I guess I could force a little Tightbond in there.

Edit: Man, that looks a lot more of a mess on the big monitor than it does down in the basement... oh well, just needs some sanding.

(Call me Dan)

Last edited by warfrat73; 05-18-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:05 AM

A good homemade gap filler is easily made with fine sanding dust of your chosen wood mixed into a single drop of Titebond, or similar, glue. Mix as much sanding dust into the single drop of glue as the glue will hold, giving a thick paste.

This doesn't work for light-coloured woods, as the filler will always be darker than the lighter wood. It does work well for darker woods.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:37 AM

Default A thought

I've made and used sanding dust as a filler. Anyone going that route, use fine grit sandpaper. As for the picture of the end strip, if such a small gap was mine, I'd be ignoring it till the finish is finished. At worst, as the body gets sanded, some dust will be available for that drop of glue. No special effort needed. Onward!
Old 05-18-2021, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Ok, routing binding channels is my least favorite part so far. Rather nerve wracking. I got the first pass on the top done (though really it was multiple passes nibbling away at it). But it needs to go a bit deeper.

(Call me Dan)
Old 05-18-2021, 06:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

You’re doing excellent. Routing by yourself is exciting. :0

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 05-18-2021, 08:45 PM

Default a thought

Routing binding channels, it's real hard to bury the 'variations'. My biggest single anxiety, too.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
You’re doing excellent. Routing by yourself is exciting. :0
That’s not the word I’d use. “Frustrating,” “Terrifying,” or “Enraging” come to mind. Most people worry about tear out but I’ve found that if the bit is not completely parallel to the sides there WILL be gaps to fill later.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:23 AM

It looks to be coming along real well.

I love just about every aspect of guitar building except routing for bindings. I'm jigged up pretty well for it now but still, once little mistake is all it takes.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:40 AM

Every mistake is an opportunity to make something more custom about your guitar, split a side, then you have a side port, or venetian cutaway or armrest etc, over rout an edge and opportunity to put purfling in, or custom ebony strips etc
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-21-2021, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

It's extra fun since my sides aren't square.

The routing is done, definitely not perfect. Oh well.

I was going to use BWB binding, but it occurred to me that, in trying to get things as even as I can, I'd probably end up scraping or sanding right through the black in some places, and that would look even worse than the unevenness. So I ordered some plain black binding instead.

(Call me Dan)
Old 05-21-2021, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

First crack at a scarf joint. Came off the bandsaw pretty askew. I've checked and rechecked the thing, and either it's square, or my machinist square isn't... so I have to chalk it up to user error.

But a bit of work with a block plane and sand paper and it's looking ok. Might take a few more passes before I glue it up.

Using khaya for this neck, because that was the plan, even though I have a few Honduran blanks that I've picked up since.

(Call me Dan)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair