The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-01-2021, 12:13 PM

Default Dent cracked finish on cedar top

My son accidentally dinged the top of my guitar and I’m wondering if y’all have any tips for fixing it, or if you don’t think it’s worth fixing this type of dent.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...96595320_m.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...54fbd516_m.jpg

"If I find in myself a desire which nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."
-CS Lewis

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-01-2021 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Embedded photos.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:17 PM

It looks as though the the wood has been more than simply compressed; the grain has been broken. If that's the case it's going to be difficult, and expensive, to make it just go away. From the pictures you posted it doesn't look as though there is structural damage, although, of course, you'd need to get in on the bench to know for sure. It might be useful to seal the wood with something to keep moisture and dirt out, but I think you're stuck with it cosmetically. The best sealant would depend on what the finish is and who's doing the work, although it's hard to argue against a thin shellac IMO.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:03 PM

What kind of guitar is that? I have a Cedar top Cordoba that I have done touch ups too.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:17 PM

It’s a Taylor GS5

"If I find in myself a desire which nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."
-CS Lewis
Old 05-01-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonh View Post
It’s a Taylor GS5
They do not specify what the finish is on their website
Old 05-01-2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonh View Post
My son accidentally dinged the top of my guitar and I’m wondering if y’all have any tips for fixing it, or if you don’t think it’s worth fixing this type of dent
Ouch, as Alan said you have a bit more bappening than just compressed wood.

The finish is a uv finish, the good thing is they would not have added a stain to the top before applying.

The repair would involve removing the neck as its just a bolt on, removing a localised finish area, steam the dent out, glue any cracks that may have happened, push the binding forward a little bit and then applying the uv finish to the repair area.

Even after repair you will have a slight colour difference between the fresh sanded cedar and the aged cedar at the momment, also ad good as uv is, you can get some transition lines between the new and old finish.

If that had come into my shop which you cannot as I am in Australia, cost would be around the 150 ish range

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-02-2021, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I would compromise and go for a partial fix:

lightly steam the wood the restore the fibers.

Then I would use Glu Boost flexible CA and drop fill the top, with a scrape and polish of the surface.

I would stop there

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-04-2021, 10:08 AM

taylor uses a UV cured Poly, it's very hard and not all that easy to repair as a DIY from what I can tell.

you may want to consider contacting Taylor Customer Service to get a quote...

that's what I did when a SM58 on a mic stand tipped over and put a 6 inch gouge in the top of my Grand Symphony, (it was hideous.) they did an amazing job on it.

I would highly recommend them. the problem was, it took like 3 months round trip,, and not cheap to send it to Cali from Mass.

but it was worth it. They went through the whole guitar, found a loose brace, put a new nut on it toboot. charged me like $145 for the whole job +45 bucks to ship it back

(it was $130 to ship it TO them)

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-11-2021, 09:11 PM

This has all been very educational and helpful. Thank you all for the replies.

I think sending to Taylor may be the best option with this deep ding. I’ll call them and see what they say.

-CS Lewis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair