The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-31-2019, 02:51 PM

Default delay pedal

hi , i just bought a small Bugera V5 for home use , and some jams. i play a tele thru it, but i like the sound of "slapback". what is an inexpensive delay pedal that i can purchase ? the Boss pedals are a little pricey for what i need. thanks.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:04 PM

Danelectro work and are dirt cheap. I got my Boss DD 5 used on Craigslist.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
hi , i just bought a small Bugera V5 for home use , and some jams. i play a tele thru it, but i like the sound of "slapback". what is an inexpensive delay pedal that i can purchase ? the Boss pedals are a little pricey for what i need. thanks.
Pick up a Zoom G1on multi-effects unit. It's inexpensive and you'll get to play around with all the other effects that you might end up liking.

You also get a 30 second looper to try out looping, excellent drum patterns, and you can plug your headphones in when your amp might prove "problematic" to others trying to sleep or wanting it a bit quieter...
Old 05-31-2019, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

See if you can find the Keeley Memphis Sun pedal. Maybe used would get the price to what you're looking for. Fantastic pedal for what you describe.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Depending on what you mean by "inexpensive" and surmising thet the Boss at $139 is too much

Joyo, Behringer, Danelectro all make cheap Delays like $30 and under and I am guessing they are all digital

For a bit better pedal and analog for under $60 Tone City " Tape Machine" is rumored to be a pretty good analog delay

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-01-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
Danelectro work and are dirt cheap. I got my Boss DD 5 used on Craigslist.
eyesore (OP): There are tons of used Boss delay pedals available. Might be a good place to start for an inexpensive unit.

Do you know whether you want digital or analog? If you don't know there difference do some research first. In addition to tonal differences, you'll get a lot more delay time with digital.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:45 PM

Hi Dru , actually ; I don't know the difference between Digital and Analog. Geez, I'm very old fashioned ,can you explain ? I just want to use this for some slapback ;thats all . No psychodelic stuff here .just some good old "Elvis or Albert Lee sounds" every now and then.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Dru , actually ; I don't know the difference between Digital and Analog. Geez, I'm very old fashioned ,can you explain ? I just want to use this for some slapback ;thats all . No psychodelic stuff here .just some good old "Elvis or Albert Lee sounds" every now and then.
Analog means the delay sound is derived from analog circuitry

Digital means there is an DSP (digital signal processing) computer type chip being used to create the delay sound

It doesn't really have anything to do with the genre . The difference is to some extent just the sound, analog is probably going to be a bit more colored (depending on and caused by the circuitry and materials used) the digital is likely to be a bit more pristine sounding. Either is totally valid just different

You can achieve a slapback type effect with either Analog or Digital it's more a matter length of delay time

Here is an excerpt from wikipedia

Slapback echo
Slapback echo uses a longer delay time (75 to 250 milliseconds), with little or no feedback. The effect is characteristic of vocals on 1950s rock-n-roll records, particularly those produced by Sam Phillips and issued by his Sun Records label. In July 1954, Phillips produced the first of five 78s and 45s that Elvis Presley would release on Sun over the next year and a half, all of which featured a novel production technique that Phillips termed "slapback echo".[12] Phillips noted that no live sound was heard without echo, and hence added the effect to add realism and resultant depth to the played sound.[citation needed] The effect was produced by re-feeding the output signal from the playback head tape recorder to its record head. The physical space between heads, the speed of the tape, and the chosen volume being the main controlling factors. Analog and later digital delay machines also easily produced the effect. It is also sometimes used on instruments, particularly drums and percussion.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-01-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:05 PM

Short explanation of analog vs digital:

Digital - Converts an analog signal to digital (1s and 0s) and is essentially
processed like in a computer.
Analog - the signal from the guitar is just amplified or in this case delayed
using old school circuits and stuff. No conversion to digital or
computer processing involved.

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 06-02-2019, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Hey Eyesore, both KevWind and adaw2821 both answered this question well. If you want to try one at the store, the MXR carbon copy is a popular analog delay for $150. It has 600ms of delay time - that's just over a 1/2 second. Digital can usually get a few seconds of delay so if you'd like that extra delay time, digital will be what you want.

I'd like to try the Joyo (as mentioned above) to see how they sound. They're an inexpensive pedal you can get on Amazon for $31 (just checked). Behringer also has one for $25. They seem to have many favorable reviews.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:12 AM

On Friday off CL, picked up a perfectly good Boss giga delay dd20 (digital) for $100...it will do alot more than slapback.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:51 PM

thank you guys !!
Old 06-03-2019, 08:09 AM

MXR Carbon Copy.

This has been my favorite delay pedal for years, and It can often be found on the used market for less than $100.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:08 PM

There's a reason why you see boss delays on almost every professional guitar players board They are sort of the default standard for digital delay and for a good reason. I have a DL-4 and a Boss DD2 set up just for slap back.

The Dano's aren't bad though for the price. I've bought a few Joyo pedals in the past and every one of them (except for the power supply which is still kicking after many years) has failed. So I stay away from Joyo unless I need another power supply some day.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
There's a reason why you see boss delays on almost every professional guitar players board They are sort of the default standard for digital delay and for a good reason. I have a DL-4 and a Boss DD2 set up just for slap back.

The Dano's aren't bad though for the price. I've bought a few Joyo pedals in the past and every one of them (except for the power supply which is still kicking after many years) has failed. So I stay away from Joyo unless I need another power supply some day.
Regarding the Joyo, did they fail you because something physically broke, such as a jack socket or the footswitch or did it just stop working, which could imply an internal issue with the components?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars