The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-28-2019, 10:48 AM

Default Effect pedals and modelling amps compatibility

Do effect pedals work effectively through modelling amps? I've heard that they can be ineffective on these type of amps as the 'modelled' sounds have pre set software and circuitry parameters.

However! Would a compressor pedal work ok on the amps clean channel?
Old 03-28-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankieabbott View Post
Do effect pedals work effectively through modelling amps? I've heard that they can be ineffective on these type of amps as the 'modelled' sounds have pre set software and circuitry parameters.

I think it varies. I've had a couple of Vox modeling amps that took pedals pretty well - not amazingly but not bad. I have a small Roland Solid State amp and a smaller Blackstar tube amp that sound great with pedals - the Vox were not as good but were pretty workable. But I've also heard stories of certain amp/pedal combinations that don't work well at all. I think it's kind of a trial and error thing.

-Ray
Old 03-28-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I am thinking like many things as a blanket statement it all depends on which amp and which pedal

That said I would think a compressor pedal probably will work reasonably well (especially on a clean channel )
I would guess if your talking distortion, saturation, overdrive or fuzz pedals, they would be more likely to run into conflicting or overloaded sounds with various amp models

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-28-2019, 05:11 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think it was possible to use pedals with a solid state modelling amp. (Even if you could the question remains why would you anyway given the amp's in-built effects?)

Last edited by Steel and wood; 03-28-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think it was possible to use pedals with a solid state modelling amp. (Even if you could the question remains why would you anyway given the amp's in-built effects?)
Yes, you can. Some amps have effects loops and if they do not then you can put the pedal in front of the amp.

Even with built-in effects a looper pedal could be useful.

And there are pedals that do different things than an amps built in effects.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Helix takes pedals very well. In fact, it's designed to. Same with the HX Stomp. You could put the compressor in front of the Helix or in an effects loop and have the on/off controlled by the Helix. Or use one of the many included compressors.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Practically all the higher-end units, and most of the mid-range ones I've seen, are specifically designed to allow you to put pedals into the loop or, obviously, in front. Why would you? You may have a pedal that does something different or better than what's modeled in a unit that is otherwise just right for you.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:38 PM

Thanks!

I've learnt something new!
Old 03-29-2019, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
As per the other answers yes you can as noted. Also note many tube amps even made today have no FX loop (like my Supro Titan ) , but pedals can always be placed between the guitar and guitar input.
Which is historically how it was done when FX pedals first came out.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars