The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-05-2017, 04:10 PM

Default Mic Questions...

I've never used a mic. I've been recording for the past month on a Tascam dr-40. Portions of the recordings sound fantastic. Recording is making me a better player, for sure. I'm enjoying it.

So... How is a mic set up.?? What powers it.?? Or does it not require power.?? What does a mic plug into.?? The recorder.??

See, I'm green but curious. Tell me about all things mic ...... I know nothing about them.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
What powers it.?? Or does it not require power.??
Some mics require power, some don't.
In general, dynamic mics and ribbon mics don't require power.
Condenser microphones usually require "phantom power" supplied by a standalone preamp, an interface that has built-in preamps, or a recording console.
USB mics any power they need from the usb port.

Quote:
What does a mic plug into.?? The recorder.??
Microphones usually require a cable with a female xlr connector at one end to connect the microphone to a preamp. The preamp will usually need the other end of the cable to have a male xlr connector or trs (tip ring sleeve) connector.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-05-2017, 05:51 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
How is a mic set up.?? What powers it.?? Or does it not require power.?? What does a mic plug into.?? The recorder.??
best place to start is what kind of recorder are you using?

Old 11-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
best place to start is what kind of recorder are you using?
It's in his post.

YouTube
Old 11-05-2017, 07:25 PM

The DR40 will supply phantom power if necessary, and since it takes three batteries it doesn't drain battery life super fast, but will drain batteries faster.

A tube preamp, like an ART MP will warm up the sound of any mic and will provide phantom power as well. For $39 it's a must if you're getting into recording. Of course this is an entry level preamp and many people will suggest thousand dollar models, but it's a good entry level preamp for the money, and it's cool to try different tubes and experiment with tone.

Glad to see you realize how much recording can help improve playing.

One final thing: don't skimp on mic cables. Try to get one with Neutrik connectors. They will cost more, but in my experience, the $10 cheapo cables quit working after a few short uses.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 11-05-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
One final thing: don't skimp on mic cables. Try to get one with Neutrik connectors. They will cost more, but in my experience, the $10 cheapo cables quit working after a few short uses.
Off topic... I get all my cables at Redco.com these days.

YouTube
Old 11-05-2017, 08:07 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
It's in his post.
Whoa - I'm worse off than I thought!!

Old 11-05-2017, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Whoa - I'm worse off than I thought!!
I'm not far behind you.

YouTube
Old 11-06-2017, 08:31 AM

Related to the need for phantom power with condensers, DO be aware that there are several very good mics (Including the AKG C-1000 and the Rode NT3) that can be self-powered by snapping a 9 volt battery in.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:45 AM

I have a similar Tascam recorder -- DR-44.

It makes pretty good recordings with the built in mics. But plugging in external mics will probably make better recordings (but that depends on a number of factors). Something like Shure 57 or 58 will work nicely on the low budget end. There are similar alternatives. Condenser mics are nice too if you are willing to spend more.

The mics plug into the bottom of the recorder. You'll want to get a stand or stands to place them properly when you record. Play around with the mic placement. Finding the right spot(s) will make a huge difference in recordings.

I usually use an external preamp for micing with my DR-44, but the builtin preamps are not bad on that recorder if you want start with a decent external mic or two before considering a preamp.

I like the reverb effect on the Tascam recorders.

Good luck.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
The DR40 will supply phantom power if necessary, and since it takes three batteries it doesn't drain battery life super fast, but will drain batteries faster.

A tube preamp, like an ART MP will warm up the sound of any mic and will provide phantom power as well. For $39 it's a must if you're getting into recording. Of course this is an entry level preamp and many people will suggest thousand dollar models, but it's a good entry level preamp for the money, and it's cool to try different tubes and experiment with tone.

I worry about that Tascam really providing enough phantom power. And typically you would record an acoustic guitar with a condensor mic.

And the Art Preamp will work, but if you already have a computer, maybe get something like a Focusrite Scarlet solo. $99.

I just would wonder about getting a cheap preamp, when you may already be transferring your recordings from the Tascam to a computer, editing there.

The Tascams and similar are nice for live recording in my opinion, but it is so much easier and better quality to a degree to go straight through a decent interface like the Focusrite, which has ample phantom power.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multicellular View Post
I worry about that Tascam really providing enough phantom power. And typically you would record an acoustic guitar with a condensor mic.

And the Art Preamp will work, but if you already have a computer, maybe get something like a Focusrite Scarlet solo. $99.

I just would wonder about getting a cheap preamp, when you may already be transferring your recordings from the Tascam to a computer, editing there.

The Tascams and similar are nice for live recording in my opinion, but it is so much easier and better quality to a degree to go straight through a decent interface like the Focusrite, which has ample phantom power.
The DR-40 supplies standard 48vdc phantom power to it's XLR inputs.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:43 PM

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/st...-buying-guide/
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/li...-buying-guide/
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/wi...-buying-guide/

This will get you started.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:37 PM

I haven't contributed to the forum in quite some time, but here's my 2 cents. I would start with a good all 'round mic that can be used in many different situations - like a shure sm57. This is a very useful mic (requires no phantom power or special stands/mounts) that you will always want to have on hand and can be used on a variety of instruments.

Often times more expensive mics require more expensive preamps and more expensive treated rooms to realize their true potential. This always leads developing more expensive GAS.

Even with a great mic, positioning is crucial. Proper positioning of microphones can have a greater impact on your captured sound than the actual microphone used.

Get a mic, any mic. Do some internet searches on mic positioning of your source. Start experimenting, figure out what works or doesn't and most of all, have fun.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:

This makes me happy to hear. I just ordered a used Art to use for DI bass recording and acoustic guitar recording. I hadn’t thought to use it for a mic. Should I only use it on a condenser, or would it even help something like a 57?
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD