The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-18-2015, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Recording as a practice and critique tool

I know this is probably old news to a lot of you, but I've learned recently that recording to listen to and critique my own playing is proving helpful. As I play back my recordings, I notice things that I don't hear while I'm playing, but must be very noticeable to anyone listening. Mind you, that's usually just my dog, but he is my audience after all.

Mostly what I notice is extraneous noises: nails hitting the sound board, bumps, and especially string squeak. I know I can't eliminate squeak entirely, but when I listen to recordings by most of y'all on the forum, I don't hear much if any of that. Is it a playing technique, or is it a processing technique that's responsible? As for the bumps and nail noise, I just need to be more careful.

A big thing is tempo. Until I hear the playback, I'm not real aware of speeding up or slowing down as I go. Listening to myself is really helping me to maintain pace.

Bottom line for those of you for whom this may be new information: record yourself and listen to it. You'll be amazed at all the stuff you'll hear (or maybe not!). And you don't need anything fancy to record with. I'm using an iPad with a free App called Voice Record. You can use the iPad mic or an external. I'm using an iRig Studio mic.

It's amazing to me the things I've learned from participating in this forum. It's really cool that an amateur like me can get advice and playing tips from the stuff the really accomplished players post here.
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 12-18-2015, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Hi bit…

Yup - recording one's self is extremely useful.

Video live performance is even more revealing.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-18-2015, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Yes, recording is a great tool. I'll just point out that to get the most benefit, you have to think about what you want to sound like, analyze, and do some problem-solving to improve.

steve
Old 12-18-2015, 09:57 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I was just doing this last night. The tune I'm working on had a regular note, then a quick grace note then a pull off, but I wasn't sure that I liked it so I recorded myself doing it that way, and then another way. Also used it to make some versions of the full tune, as written and then with my changes. Home recording is a great learning tool.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-31-2015, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

Video live performance is even more revealing.

I don't doubt it for a minute, and i'm curious, what types of things has video recording brought to your attention when you've done it? Need some ammo to convince my gigging partner....
Old 01-01-2016, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Videoing yourself is equally, if not even more beneficial. When you SEE your mistakes you can also observe things like hand and finger positioning.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:49 PM
Eric Skye

This is something I'm very passionate about, and a very important part of my life as a practicing musician. I talked about quite a bit in day 30 of my thirty day youtube series here http://youtu.be/sSenR7Pv5UE
Old 01-02-2016, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
This is something I'm very passionate about, and a very important part of my life as a practicing musician. I talked about quite a bit in day 30 of my thirty day youtube series here http://youtu.be/sSenR7Pv5UE
That's a GREAT series.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil View Post
I know this is probably old news to a lot of you, but I've learned recently that recording to listen to and critique my own playing is proving helpful.

Yep. Another way to monitor it is to play with headphones. You hear everything you do/don't want to hear and that saves a lot of recording time. But, recording will capture some (considered) gems if you're just noodling around with melody composition.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
…When you SEE your mistakes you can also observe things like hand and finger positioning.
Hi Toby…

And priceless facial expressions…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write