The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-13-2013, 11:34 PM

Default Recommendations? (Tascam DP-24 vs. Apogee Duet)

Just wondering if anyone has any advice/experience they'd like to share. I know these are two very different units... I've already got a MacBook Pro, so I was considering grabbing an Apogee Duet (either the Duet 2 or Duet iOs; I've already got my eye on a used Duet 2 in my price range) and working with Logic on my computer. But the stand-alone 24 track Tascam DP-24 is appealing because it's an all in one unit. I like that it's more physical, it's actually got the faders and buttons I can touch. I've also found a used one nearby. They're about the same price, both seem like solid options... I'd prefer to have something I can work with that's just for music, so the DP-24 is more my style. But the Duet 2 has gotten wonderful reviews. Do you think the audio would be better with the Duet? Because that's the most important thing, of course. I'm new to recording; I have some experience working with very simple 8 track digital units. But I'm curious to hear what you folks think. I'll be recording only acoustic instruments through condenser mics, but I do want equipment I can grow with, that'll still be useful as I learn more. I already made the mistake of spending money on a VERY "entry-level" product and outgrowing it as soon as I'd learned to use it... which has brought me here.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-20-2013, 03:25 PM

Go with the Duet. This way you will be learning how to work with Logic which can serve as your recording platform for many years. If you want to upgrade from a stand alone recorder, then you need to learn a whole new system. If at some point you want to upgrade from the Duet to another interface, it is not a big deal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD