The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-10-2013, 05:22 PM

Default Live Recorder For House Shows

I'm looking for a portable/minimal setup recording device for the worship house shows that I do in an effort to then post recordings online, etc. A buddy has the Zoom H4N and he's letting me test it out, but I wonder what other options you've had success with.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:42 AM

Most portable digital recorders operate in similar ways. In most situations, once you've worked out the quality of the included microphones, you're simply choosing what feature set you prefer. There are functional differences between models but they often come down to how easy a button is to access or whether the menu is clumsy and overly complicated. I'd look at the available options in your budget then just do some research on line.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disguiseglasses View Post
I'm looking for a portable/minimal setup recording device for the worship house shows that I do in an effort to then post recordings online, etc. A buddy has the Zoom H4N and he's letting me test it out, but I wonder what other options you've had success with.

Thanks!
Hi dg...

An Zoom H4n (I own one) is overkill for what you are attempting, unless you are going to rig it with external condenser mics while recording your 'shows'. And I'm assuming if you are doing house gigs, you don't want a ton of electronic gear between you and the people there.

Either a simple Zoom H1 or H2n (I also own one of these) would do equally well to an H4n, at a fraction of the cost & without sacrificing quality. Both are easy to use, and start and let run for the entire length of the gig and then just break into tracks later if that's important to you.

I use the H2n for single shot recordings, and the H4n for remote recording when I plan to use condenser mics and need phantom power. I mount them on camera tripods for ease of placement. The aux kit has a mic mount which allows them to be mounted in a mic stand as well.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-11-2013, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the help, gents. Larry, I always appreciate a response from you- you're a busy guy with a load of experience, so any help is always great. I wonder what about the H4N is overkill?

Cheers.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disguiseglasses View Post
Thanks for the help, gents. Larry, I always appreciate a response from you- you're a busy guy with a load of experience, so any help is always great. I wonder what about the H4N is overkill?
Hi dg...

Four channels, external mic/¼'' inputs, phantom power. I love my H4n for remotes where I'm going to need phantom power (and going to use external mics). When I don't need all the fire-power, I scale back.

The H2n is less invasive, smaller, and does just as good a job of point-n-shoot recording (set it and let it work). It has multiple mic patterns.

Perhaps I should have asked if you plan on using a sound system or are you just playing and singing for these house gatherings?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-12-2013, 12:45 PM

Totally acoustic- no amplification. Part of what I'm aiming to do is pick up not only the "performers" (myself and a violinist) but also the sound of the audience singing along.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD