The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-27-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
A poorly functioning Bigsby will mess you up... even when you don't touch it!!

It is LIKE a floating trem in that when you do bigger bends, other strings also move. Mine was driving me crazy at first. Whole step bends would leave OTHER strings out of tune. However having the nut slots slightly V shaped at the back side of the nut, applying "Nut Sauce" AND strings wound the PRS method has all helped.
My experience has been that compared to Stratocasters setup to float with the typical three springs, bending a string on a Bigsby doesn't detune other strings nearly as much as on a floating Strat. Doing (for example) the idiomatic Chuck Berry double stop lick where one string is bent 1/2 step up with finger vibrato while the other string being played remains unbent, the unbent string on a Bigsby tailpiece guitar will not be out of tune, while on a floating Strat, it will be.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-27-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Yep, can you please stop posting pictures of your new 6120. (Fuelling a severe case of GAS just when I thought I was long over it).

Stunning guitar!
Oh I thought I was over it too
Old 03-28-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
My experience has been that compared to Stratocasters setup to float with the typical three springs, bending a string on a Bigsby doesn't detune other strings nearly as much as on a floating Strat. Doing (for example) the idiomatic Chuck Berry double stop lick where one string is bent 1/2 step up with finger vibrato while the other string being played remains unbent, the unbent string on a Bigsby tailpiece guitar will not be out of tune, while on a floating Strat, it will be.
I'm not just talking about other string going out DURING the bend. I'm saying that AFTER the bend some non-bent strings stayed out of tune! I had my D string go out by as much as 10 cents after a whole step bend on the G string. That makes the D string unusable until it's retuned (depending on musical styles )
Old 03-28-2019, 11:54 AM

I LOVE Bigsby's!!!
Old 03-28-2019, 12:00 PM

You might try the VibraMate String Spoiler. I've got one on the Bigsby B7 on my Les Paul and it really does make string changes easier.

http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-string-spoiler.php

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars