The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Default A beginner trying to record on Zoom H2N

I am an absolute beginner to recording. I received a Zoom H2N for my birthday, as my teacher told me it's a great way to monitor progress. However, when I play back a recording, it's very low. I have the microphone set to MS, which is the recommended setting for a soloist. I have the gain set to "auto". I have had the microphone anywhere from 1-4 feet from the sound hole and there is very little difference in playback sound volume.

How can I hear myself louder when I am BEHIND the guitar, as opposed to a microphone that is right in front of the soundhole? What am I doing wrong?

BTW - I am recording in a small room with almost no ambient noise.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Vince
Old 09-12-2013, 08:45 PM

Your volume will be less than that of a commercial CD or download. You'll need to turn up the playback volume when you listen to your tracks.

Start with the recorder in XY rather than MS (just humor me <grin>), 18" or so from the bridge. In this position you can watch the meters while you play.

Don't use auto volume setting. Turn off limiters and other treatments. Adjust the volume level so the clip light just barely blinks at your loudest note. Then turn down one full number from there on the mic gain control.

Rotate the recorder so the left and right balance is in the ballpark.

With that arrangement and a bit of volume boost on playback, you'll be hearing what your guitar sounds like out front.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 09-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Fran,

Thank you so much for the information. I will definitely try that tonight and see if there is a difference. I am not very technical so that just adds to my hurdles of progress here. I appreciate you taking the time to offer some advice.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
Vince
Old 09-14-2013, 11:02 AM

http://zoomforum.us/viewforum.php?f=15
Old 09-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Fran - I've noticed a definite improvement in volume. And the screen is now facing me, which is a big advantage. It's still a work in progress (much like my playing), but I'm moving in the right direction.

Jan - thanks for the link. I was trolling around there yesterday. It's another good resource for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD