The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-04-2021, 02:21 PM
Guest 33123

Default Has anyone played a National T-14 Tricone Cutaway?

Hi guys,

just curious if anyone has tried a National T-14 Tricone Cutaway and if so what your impressions were.

https://www.12fret.com/instruments/n...bright-nickel/

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2021, 07:21 PM

Nope. Don't want to either. I figure I'll never find a bargain on a used one, and I'd never pay retail due to inherent cheapness on my part. If I don't play one, I'll never want one. Right? Right?

Okay here is how I would look at it on a rational intellectual level. I'm not thrilled with the 14 fret body. I'm always wanting more bass out of Nationals, and the 14 fret and cutaway won't help that situation. Deal breaker? No. But personally I would still feel more comfortable with a 12 fret cutaway. And I have a non cut-away modern German Silver style 1 (T-1) and Brass Baritone T-1 already. I don't REALLY need a cutaway do I?

On an emotional level, my goodness how I would love to play early Jazz, or some Gypsy Jazz with a flatpick on a 14 fret Tricone WITH A FREAKIN' CUT-AWAY! Bass is overated anyway! Think how that thing would cut through!

YMMV.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:46 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks for the response, blue! I spent a couple of days staring at the T-14. I'll still play one when I have the chance but I prefer the standard 12-fret design. So I'm still leaning towards a M-1 Tricone or Style 1 or maybe the steel tricone. I need to make to the 12th Fret to try some more tricones out. May can't come soon enough for me!
Old 03-06-2021, 11:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Doug. I REALLY like the T-14 tricone cutaway. It might lack just a bit in depth of tone compared to the 12 fretters, but has its own vibe. Such a cool sound, and more versatile than you might think. I have a video of one if you haven't seen it yet.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:13 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks Larry! I'll check it out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments