The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 12:21 PM

Default Thoughts on this rare 1968 Yiari CBS Masterworks dreadnought?

Hey everybody!

I recently picked up this 1968 CBS Masterworks dreadnought made by Kazuo Yairi before his days with Alvarez. According to the previous owner and my own research, it seems to be quite rare.

It's solid wood with supposedly Brazilian rosewood back and sides (hoping you guys might be able to confirm that from the pictures linked below?) and an adjustable truss rod. It looks gorgeous, sounds really balanced, and plays great.

I got it for a reasonable price and am super happy with the purchase, since I was looking for a "do it all" guitar to last me a very long time. Information about it is thin though, so I'm just wondering if you guys know anything else about Yairi's work around 1968, his partnership with Masterworks, or just any thoughts/comments about the guitar. Thanks!

http://imgur.com/gallery/n2U4jTJ
Old 09-19-2020, 01:18 PM

Looks fantastic in my honest opinion. I've never looked into Japanese made guitars much myself but that one has a wonderful charisma about it. It's got the kind of charm you tend to see in vintage martins
Old 09-20-2020, 03:40 PM

It certainly has a charm. I'd love to install a pickup on it so I could play it live. Is there a best practice for choosing a pickup system for a vintage guitar like this? Any recs/tips for installation?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
alvarez, cbs masterworks, rare guitar, vintage guitar, yairi