The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2017, 03:47 PM

That really sucks . . . but you will get better. Keep your chin up.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:35 PM

Whilst you're awaiting recovery you could try this... Don't miss the instrumental from 2.30...

YouTube
Old 06-18-2017, 04:46 PM
Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars is offline

Oh man that completely sucks! Get better soon!!
Old 06-18-2017, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

I did that a couple of years ago. I broke the end of my ring finger on my left hand. It made fretting impossible. I unfortunately had to just take time off from playing until it healed.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:57 PM

I sure feel for you, friend.

If it's only broken, and no tendon or nerve damage be grateful.

My tale of near woe. Back in November I was cutting some branches down with an electric chain saw. I was cutting it to size to toss it in the brazier this summer. I cleaned off a couple of very small twigs with the chainsaw and it jumped up and bit my left middle finger just offside of the tip. I was mortified. Turned out it was just a gash and was healed 100% in 6 weeks. Apparently, I took my trigger finger off the switch and the saw had stopped running by the time it hit my finger. If it had been running, I'd be posting this on the Lap Steel forum instead. I'm just stupid and lucky.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 06-18-2017, 06:35 PM

I know it sucks being on the shelf while you heal. We have a friend on this forum who could have been put on the shelf permanently but last I heard he is working his wAy back. DJFuzzyMcPickle not only has the best forum name ever he is converting from a righty to a lefty. I am not a God guy but there is a saying that I like "there but by the grace of God goes I"

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=384206

Good luck in your healing. Just rest and consider it a vacation.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 06-18-2017, 07:29 PM

That sucks. I had a run of about four months straight of getting mallet finger from jiu jitsu. Right when one would heal I'd pop another tendon. Eventually broke all my fingers bad enough I can't really play 1 3/4 nuts anymore
Old 06-19-2017, 12:43 AM

Bummer man!

I was digging my garden last spring when I got a piece of glass under the nail of my middle finger on my left hand. Picked it out and kept plating.

Got home and washed my hands, didn't really scrape up under that nail as it wasn't bleeding at that point.

Woke up the next day to a swollen hot and red finger. Went into the bathroom and before I did anything else milked it over the sink.

Big hard dark plug shot out followed by a lot of pus.

I treated it best I could with peroxide and a new toothbrush, but it still wasn't better in a couple days. Went to urgent care, and got a shot of antibiotics in that finger. Had a pretty serious infection, and the doctor said if I'd waited any longer I could have lost it.

And not only was it an important guitar finger it's also my most expressive one.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
I can empathize! A couple of months ago, I lacerated my middle fret finger. I didn't know until 2 weeks and an infection later that I had cut a nerve. I lost the feeling on my finger tip. I was able to play, but not as well and unable to play certain songs. Just had surgery last Thursday to repair it, and if successful, I'll regain feeling in 3 - 6 months. If not, I see a lot of buzzing strings in my future.

Until then, I only get to read and write about guitars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2017, 04:36 AM

Broke my left hand 10 years ago. Doctor said 6 weeks to heal with therapy afterwards. Healed enough to get soft cast off in 4 weeks, skipped therapy and used playing as my way of getting full use back, which took 2 weeks.
For the 4 weeks of cast I played slide only and got my chops up. It ended up being a very positive experience. You will be fine!
Old 06-19-2017, 04:59 AM
Charter Member

Sorry about your finger. I wish you luck.
I broke my fretting hand about seven weeks ago. I broke the bone to my ring finger and a place or two besides. It'll still be awhile for me. I am able to start working at playing guitar. As for the technique I've been working at for fifty years it was thrown out the window as my finger doesn't ride in the same place as it used to. I'm getting the pads of my fingers hardened again but I'll be playing with different techniques from now on. The funny part is that with my years of experience I know how to cheat on the guitar real well. And that will be my new normal.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-19-2017, 07:27 PM

Default Sorry to hear about your injury

I started playing at 67 (four years ago) and this January I had two knuckles replaced on the left (fretting hand) so it may be a year or more before I can play, and barre chords will never be possible again, but I enjoyed every minute of the time that I have been fortunate enough to play. Good luck to you!
Hagstrom Swede
Fender Amer Strat-Honeyburst
Epiphone Pro ES 339
Old 06-19-2017, 08:24 PM

Open D, Open G, & other open whole-chord tunings might help a lot.

One finger barchords flat across one fret & lotsa great opportunity for playing w a slide.

Maybe even throw a slide across your broken finger when it's healed enough? Or think about playing as a lapsteel etc. Maybe even buy an ergonomic tonebar for doing so?

Major & minor open tunings all work great. You might be in for a revelation & some new musical adventures. Could be your lemonade!

Cheers & GWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticAmber View Post
I've been repairing a GS mini hog for several months now (it was pretty ruined) and today was the day I can finally play it! I thought: I'll just work on the 814 for a little bit first and finally stringing the GS can be my reward. I was cutting a cleat and broke my finger... A very important guitar finger... Less than an hour before the sweet moment I've been waiting for...

Send help.

2022 Gibson Banner J-45 Reissue - "Magic"
2014 Lakewood D-32 - "Grace"
2021 Yamaha LL56 - "New Hampshire"
2022 Yamaha LL16 Burst - "Sunny"
2012 Martin HD-28v
2020 Yairi DYM70CE
Breedlove American D25-SREH
1987 Fender F360S-12 string

Old 06-19-2017, 08:56 PM

Sorry -- but glad it's a break and not another kind of finger injury that might not return to full mobility. It's tough to wait, but at least you'll get it all back -- and be raring to go. Maybe spend some time listening for stuff you want to try to learn or do once you get back to playing.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:42 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
That sucks. I was unable to play for a bit due to a bad cycling crash. Shattered my collarbone and got a really deep gash on my pinkie down to the tendon. It took me about a month before I could play finger style without pain in my right hand.

IS THE BIKE OKAY??

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
broken finger, gs mini