The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2016, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andare View Post
Just bummed out.
I'm now looking for a parlor and ready to pull the trigger on an old, cheap Framus. Can't suck worse than my Takamine.

Has anyone had similar experiences?
That Framus just might surprise you with its astonishing lack of tone!

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 12-11-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
My Takamine sucks --- Can't suck worse than my Takamine.
You said it!
https://youtu.be/NqpNQ9AJYgU

SORRY.

Save up your money, shop around, and buy an American made guitar.
Here are a couple:
https://youtu.be/96z3AczckBc

https://youtu.be/TzD9APh4Amg
Old 12-11-2016, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

I had as G series Tak A\E from 1994, all lam. Nothing I did could make me love that guitar. I finally sold it for 75 bucks a few weeks ago. The guy who bought it loved it. It was OK, but it could not compete with guitars of the new era of guitar building. I also had a 2012 Pro Tak. The bass was not as deep as my Martins but that is by design. It was a wonderful guitar. I miss it so much I recently purchased a P5NC Tak to replace it. I'm actually surprised at your G series. Most solid top cedar G series taks I have played sound and play pretty good. But your G series was built not long after they started putting solid tops on their lam G series.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
...I'm now looking for a parlor and ready to pull the trigger on an old, cheap Framus. Can't suck worse than my Takamine...
Think again...
Old 12-11-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I adjusted the truss rod, the string action, cleaned the fretboard, bought different string gauges, the works, yet every other guitar I've tried was easier to play.
Then you didn't adjust the guitar properly. Someone with the proper skills can make your guitar play great. But you're still stuck with the sound.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:14 AM

I have a friend who has that same Tak, and I always thought it sounded pretty darn good!
Old 12-11-2016, 10:37 AM

I've always felt that lack of sustain was the major drawback to Tacs.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:38 AM

G series kinda suck in my mind. The newer ones can be better at times, but I generally avoid them. i think you need to reasses what a POS is. I have plenty of guitars that I paid less than $200 for that may not look perfect, but sound amazing. Cedar topped guitars are not known for booming bass, better for sparkly bliss. A Framus most likely will not wet your appetite. By they way a string change, fretboard cleaning and a tweak of the truss rod isn't going to make your guitar better. maybe you need your friend to take you pawn shopping as it sounds like he is knowledgeable on what to look for in a guitar.
1976 Martin 000-18
1989 Martin 000-16M
2015 Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
2012 Gibson J-45 Custom
2017 Gibson J-35
1971 Alvarez K. Yairi Classical
1970 Lou J Mancuso nylon string hybrid
Harmony Sovereign H1260
30's MayBell Model 6
Nash MW-500
1998 Yamaha LS-10
2003 Tacoma EKK9
Old 12-11-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
The Tak is a fine stage guitar with the pickup. Just not a good acoustic.
That is exactly what it was designed to be.

hunter
Old 12-11-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Last week I jammed with a friend. He owns a no name, cheap dreadnought he bought in a pawn shop for about $25. He had to reglue the bridge, change the pins and do other minor adjustments. Basically a genuine POS.

Well, it blows my Takamine EG332C (solid cedar top cutaway) out of the water, especially in how much bass it has. Notes feel like they're springing from the guitar.
My Takamine, on the other hand, sounds totally dead. The notes are nice but there's no projection, no bass, no sustain, even with new strings.
I adjusted the truss rod, the string action, cleaned the fretboard, bought different string gauges, the works, yet every other guitar I've tried was easier to play.
It's my first and only acoustic, a high school graduation present from my parents that I personally picked out of many instruments back when I knew nothing over 20 years ago.

Just bummed out.
I'm now looking for a parlor and ready to pull the trigger on an old, cheap Framus. Can't suck worse than my Takamine.

Has anyone had similar experiences?
Yes. You can optimize the sound of any acoustic guitar. Get an inspection light with a flexible stalk, and an inspection mirror. Harbor Freight has both.
Shine light at junction of braces and top, back towards the soundhole. If light comes through, glue with Titebond in a hypodermic needle and clamp or put light weight on it. Do this for each brace. Make sure the ball ends have not receded into the bridge plate. If they have, fix with superglue and sawdust and redrill. Make sure strings are well seated in nut. If not, carefully file the slots for the size strings you use. When you install strings, wind them so as to make a sharper string angle towards the peghead. If you install the strings right you don't need a winder. 2 winds or so is all I use.
No matter how your guitar sounds now it will sound better afterwards. If you do all this and also compensate the saddle you will be astonished. It is all the detail work that makes an ok guitar sound good and a good guitar sound great. If it still doesn't sound good after a weekend of work, THEN buy a more expensive guitar.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 12-11-2016, 11:03 AM

There are way too many great sounding guitars out there these days.
Use the Tak on stage and get something you like the acoustic sound of for home.
You may not be that happy with a Parlor though.
They will sound a lot like the Tak.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Walk in Song View Post
You said it!
https://youtu.be/NqpNQ9AJYgU

SORRY.

Save up your money, shop around, and buy an American made guitar.
Here are a couple:
https://youtu.be/96z3AczckBc

https://youtu.be/TzD9APh4Amg
Classic scene!

I'm in Eastern Europe though, so besides the fact that there's no way I can afford American made instruments, the selection in shops here is abysmal. Just a few guitars on the floor, the staff know nothing and there's no range of models/makers. Haven't been able to find a parlor to test its sound. I have to rely on YouTube reviews...
Old 12-11-2016, 11:31 AM

I realize I've come across as a total noob but trust me, I know what I'm doing around a guitar. Some guitars just have more comfortable necks.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:57 AM

Andare, did your friend know what he had before he put the work into it, or just good fortune that it worked out so well? Either way, it's an inspiration for those of us digging around for a 'phoenix' guitar.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:22 PM

Troll much?
I mean, did you buy the guitar in a total vacuum? Did you compare it to others when you bought it?
If you compared it with others and still bought it, you have only yourself to blame.

Frankly, I can find the same complaint , "My _________ sucks!" all over this board.
If you don't do your homework, don't expect sympathy from anyone other than ________ haters.
Takamine P7D,Taylor 618e, Guild A-50 archtop, Martin 00-17, Epiphone Joe Pass, Cordoba 50r, Oscar Schmidt oe-30, Squire CV Thinline, Modern Player Jaguar, '70s era Arial, Lyle Hummingbird 12 string, Goldtone tenor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cedar, cheap, framus, parlor, takamine