The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2016, 10:13 AM

Talking GS Mini With Ebony Tuner Buttons

Greetings All,

I haven't posted in like forever, but just wanted to give a shout out to Brian Wong on his ebony tuner buttons for Taylor guitars (and others I suppose as well).

A couple of months ago I purchased a new GS Mini. Now, I (personally) can't stand Elixir strings of any sort (I'm glad if you can though) so I put on a set of EJ16's, set it up to my liking, and started enjoying this new little box. Somewhere along the way the thought crossed my mind that I should replace the truss rod cover....you know.... something ebony/pau. I love the Om symbol truss rod covers I have for my PRS McCarty's...they're ebony/pau...so I ordered one from Scott. Really nice, does nothing for tone, but still nice.

The stock bridge pins were certainly adequate, but now they were out of place...you know....with the ebony/pau truss rod cover. So I acquiesced and got some standard Martin ebony/abalone pins. Much better looking, does nothing discernable for the tone, but nice nonetheless.

You really can't have an ebony truss rod and ebony pins without wondering what ebony tuner buttons might do aesthetically, can you? I couldn't.

I got in touch with Brian, and before I knew it, the long coveted ebony buttons arrived. I swapped them out with the ease that would make one think I was mechanical engineer. Much better looking I must say, no difference in tone, but much lighter. The stock buttons are heavy, very heavy in fact in comparison to Brian's ebony buttons. A truly quality product.

Just wanted to say thanks to Brian for your fine product.

That is all. Have a great day all.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Jockey View Post
Greetings All,

I haven't posted in like forever, but just wanted to give a shout out to Brian Wong on his ebony tuner buttons for Taylor guitars (and others I suppose as well).

A couple of months ago I purchased a new GS Mini. Now, I (personally) can't stand Elixir strings of any sort (I'm glad if you can though) so
I put on a set of EJ16's, set it up to my liking, and started enjoying this new little box. Somewhere along the way the thought crossed my mind that I should replace the truss rod cover....you know.... something ebony/pau. I love the Om symbol truss rod covers I have for my PRS McCarty's...they're ebony/pau...so I ordered one from Scott. Really nice, does nothing for tone, but still nice.

The stock bridge pins were certainly adequate, but now they were out of place...you know....with the ebony/pau truss rod cover. So I acquiesced and got some standard Martin ebony/abalone pins. Much better looking, does nothing discernable for the tone, but nice nonetheless.

You really can't have an ebony truss rod and ebony pins without wondering what ebony tuner buttons might do aesthetically, can you? I couldn't.

I got in touch with Brian, and before I knew it, the long coveted ebony buttons arrived. I swapped them out with the ease that would make one think I was mechanical engineer. Much better looking I must say, no difference in tone, but much lighter. The stock buttons are heavy, very heavy in fact in comparison to Brian's ebony buttons. A truly quality product.

Just wanted to say thanks to Brian for your fine product.

That is all. Have a great day all.
Hi my fellow "L.J." ! I can tell you what WILL make a difference in tone, get some proper EJ17s on that baby and let her rip !
Old 11-17-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Hi my fellow "L.J." ! I can tell you what WILL make a difference in tone, get some proper EJ17s on that baby and let her rip !
Thanks for the suggestion, but I play EJ16's exclusively. Sorry. I'm not really looking for better tone/more volume. I was actually happy with it the way it was before the changes. After all, it's a travel guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
ebony bridge pins, ebony truss rod cover, ebony tuner buttons, gs mini