The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-12-2021, 03:30 PM

Default All mahogany OM

Hello,
I'm thinking of building an all-mahogany OM and using the best grade woods, hot glue, some abalone, etc. Do you you think that a guitar of this type (built following very classical methods and made entirely of mahogany) has appeal and market? or on the contrary, do you think that guitars completely handmade should only be built with European spruce, rosewood, etc.
Greetings.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

All hardwood guitars, whether they are mahogany, koa, walnut, cherry, or others, have very unique voices and generally do not have the appeal to as many players as a spruce topped guitar.

SCGC has their '29 series guitars, which are all mahogany - they have done well with them. So - its mostly a matter of finding the customer who appreciates what you've built. But isn't that always the case with hand-built instruments?
Old 04-12-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurdillo View Post
Hello,
I'm thinking of building an all-mahogany OM and using the best grade woods, hot glue, some abalone, etc. Do you you think that a guitar of this type (built following very classical methods and made entirely of mahogany) has appeal and market? or on the contrary, do you think that guitars completely handmade should only be built with European spruce, rosewood, etc.
Greetings.
You might consider this 0+:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=579732
Old 04-12-2021, 11:23 PM

Default All mahogany OM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
All hardwood guitars, whether they are mahogany, koa, walnut, cherry, or others, have very unique voices and generally do not have the appeal to as many players as a spruce topped guitar.

SCGC has their '29 series guitars, which are all mahogany - they have done well with them. So - its mostly a matter of finding the customer who appreciates what you've built. But isn't that always the case with hand-built instruments?

Thank you! I have look the SCGC 29 series. Beautiful instruments. This is the style that I look for but with a bigger body, long scale and widest nut spacing for fingerpicking.

I think I will draw my own plan based on a OM plan by LMI o Stewmac.

Been a left handed guitar player, and without any experience in acoustic guitar building (I’m an amateur luthier focused mainly in classical guitars and lutes) my goal is start with a instrument for my own use, that serves like a test bench.

Last edited by zurdillo; 04-12-2021 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post

I love this sound!!! But I want a bigger body not only by the sound but for the playing position. I’m a classical guitar player and I found very comfortable with a OM body
Old 04-14-2021, 11:19 AM

You definitely narrow down the market a bit on that but there are people out there that want them too. Guitars like that I like to build when time permits and just hang them in my shop till they sell.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

I saw this review of an all-mahogany guitar a while ago, and it certainly piqued my interest. After watching this, I would be totally open to considering an all-mahogany guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIE2NX6fvsw
Old 04-14-2021, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

I think Martin does pretty well with their 15 series.

I've got a Custom Shop OM-15 and it's beyond fabulous.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 04-14-2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
You definitely narrow down the market a bit on that but there are people out there that want them too. Guitars like that I like to build when time permits and just hang them in my shop till they sell.

It must be a feast for the eyes to have such a guitar hanging in the shop until a buyer arrives. Thanks for your note
Old 04-14-2021, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBee View Post
I saw this review of an all-mahogany guitar a while ago, and it certainly piqued my interest. After watching this, I would be totally open to considering an all-mahogany guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIE2NX6fvsw

I have seen the video and I have loved both the way this guitarist plays and the impressive sound of the instrument, thanks for the link.

It is not the type of finish that I would give to an all mahogany guitar, I prefer the aesthetics of the Martín 15 series more, but the sound is spectacular.

I take this opportunity to tell my colleague from the Martin Custom Shop that precisely the fact that solid mahogany guitars occupy the lowest price sector among Martin's solid wood guitars has been one of the reasons why I made my question . Martín's 15 series is economic (in the brand catalogue) but it has a sound that I really like. The width of the Nut is the reason I do not have a Martin 00015.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair