The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2015, 03:06 PM

Default Torrefied Engelmann or Torrefied Cedar?

I've tried searching for torrefied engelmann spruce and cedar and have not seen anything out there. For the knowledgeable folks present, is there a structural reason this is the case? Or is their lack of prevalence merely a result of demand? I understand the rationale for torrefied adirondack and sitka with the intention of making them sound similar to historical instruments, so I'm curious what tonal properties would get enhanced on relatively modern top woods.

Kevin
Old 09-04-2015, 06:05 PM

It is my understanding cedar cannot be torrefied--at least right now.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:17 PM

I did a set of Cedar and like what I hear. It will be a few months before I have time to build with it though. Baked Cedar, Oak, and Jatoba for the fretboard. Mahogany and maple neck.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:23 PM

Engelmann would be interesting. Martin could reissue a 1953 Mystery Top Authentic. Just put that Engelmann in the Torrefaction Time Machine, dial it to 1953 and BINGO!

Printer2,
That sounds like it will make a pretty awesome guitar. Please keep us posted when you start. .........Mike
Old 09-04-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
Printer2,
That sounds like it will make a pretty awesome guitar. Please keep us posted when you start. .........Mike
Small p, we are friends here. Will post it in Build and Repair or Custom Shop. It is going to be a nylon guitar though.

Reread the original post. The tap tone of the wood seems to have more sustain. Found this with the Oak also. I am really looking forward to it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cedar, engelmann spruce, torrefaction, torrefied