The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2019, 03:14 PM

Played another 717 today. Confirmed that it is an incredibly versatile guitar and I love the sound. I can’t say it doesn’t anything better than a Martin or Gibson, but it just sounds and feels great. I would love to try one with Santa Cruz strings because I despise Elixirs.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
I played the whole Grand Pacific line from bottom to top for the fourth time today. Let me say they have come alive. I have never seen that before, where a guitar made such a dramatic change in such a short period of time. Cannot explain it. The voice was well rounded with a slight lean towards warm and does have a unique charm to it sonically and visually....

I have previously stated the GP's lacked bass and seemed thin overall. The strings were very tight and something seemed held back. While I still believe a shorter scale length would do this guitar well. The GP's have a nice voice. They are not like Martin Dreds, but they are better than Taylor's previous Dred line. In short, I liked them alot....

Apologetically yours and a future Grand Pacific owner,
Audie
That's what I'm talking about. Thanks for putting it into words, Audie....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-18-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
That's what I'm talking about. Thanks for putting it into words, Audie....
Thank you for reposting it RP.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:54 AM

Man, I am so lusting for one of those GP's... In the store where I sometimes work we have all three of them and I can't seem to make up my mind about which one to go for - if I can raise the money for it that is...

Right out of the box the 317 is the one that speaks the most to me. It seems louder and it cuts like a knife!

However, I find myself longing for the more premium ones mostly due to cosmetic features - especially the wooden binding looks stellar!

I especially like the sound of the 517 - I actually prefer the sound of it, too, but it just does not seem to be as LOUD as it's little brother but it's (the 517's) sound is more balanced and richer to my ear. I think I will need to try them out in a smaller room to see how the 517 projects outward before I make a decision.

The rosewood of the 717 is by far the prettiest but the 717's sound does not please my ear in the same way that the cheaper alternatives do. When I play the 717 it lacks the "immediacy" of the other ones.

I know the necks are supposed to be different between the BE's and the 317 but to my hands that doesn't matter.

Any wise words or experiences in regards to the 317 vs. 517 BE?
Old 05-21-2019, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanAnd View Post

I spent a lot of time (2 afternoons) in a shop trying both and comparing them mainly with the D18 that I was originally planning to get... I think you are absolutely right that all three models - 317, 517, and 717 - have different tones. Like you, I preferred the 317 and the 517, and suspect it's because I'm just not a Rosewood person.

For what it's worth, to my ears the 317 was slightly louder in the shop, but the 517 had a fuller tone across the board, which was the main thing that drove me to spend more on the 517. While you'd think the 317 would age-in more than the 517, since the latter has a torrefied top, I've found the 517 has expanded even more in the past several weeks. Another 517 owner made the same observation. It's also gotten a little louder as it's been played and after a truss rod adjustment that raised the action a little.

The other poster also made a perceptive comment that all of those available now are very newly-manufactured instruments, in the sense that they may still be settling in from the glue drying. Mine was built at the end of January. (Taylor serial number gives you manufacturing date.) So whichever one you buy, there's a chance it will get even better once you take it home. And I'm sorry if that doesn't help your itch any!
Old 05-21-2019, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Man, I am so lusting for one of those GP's... In the store where I sometimes work we have all three of them and I can't seem to make up my mind about which one to go for - if I can raise the money for it that is...

Right out of the box the 317 is the one that speaks the most to me. It seems louder and it cuts like a knife!

However, I find myself longing for the more premium ones mostly due to cosmetic features - especially the wooden binding looks stellar!

I especially like the sound of the 517 - I actually prefer the sound of it, too, but it just does not seem to be as LOUD as it's little brother but it's (the 517's) sound is more balanced and richer to my ear. I think I will need to try them out in a smaller room to see how the 517 projects outward before I make a decision.

The rosewood of the 717 is by far the prettiest but the 717's sound does not please my ear in the same way that the cheaper alternatives do. When I play the 717 it lacks the "immediacy" of the other ones.

I know the necks are supposed to be different between the BE's and the 317 but to my hands that doesn't matter.

I played the 317/517 in a quiet room early last week - first time ever with the Grand Pacifics - I thought the 317 had the better bass response of the two and the 517 had a slightly better treble end. In the end I love me some bass and I preferred the 317 and I would have picked that regardless of the price. At the Taylor Roadshow last weekend, I got to side-by-side a 517 and 717 in a fairly loud room with other people playing and with the light fingerstyle I typically use, I didn't notice hardly any difference. But during the demos with strumming, etc. the classical hog/rosewood tendencies were apparent. In that strumming comparison, I preferred the 517, but the only rosewood guitar I've ever loved was the Taylor 714 with a lutz spruce top - no sitka spruce/rosewood (like the 717) guitars have ever blown me away personally when it comes to strumming.

I was very impressed with these guitars - more volume than the grand auditoriums for sure, and a very nice roundness to the notes.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-21-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post
... So whichever one you buy, there's a chance it will get even better once you take it home. And I'm sorry if that doesn't help your itch any!
You have been very helpfull! Unfortunately my GAS itch is still there...
Old 05-21-2019, 09:48 AM

I played the 717 and 517 last weekend. Liked the 517. Loved the 717.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:

I totally agree. The 717 should have blown me away as i expected. My OM-28 did, and i figured since they both have the same wood combo....., but the 517 actually sounded better (not than the om-28, he-he) but much better than the 717. I have no idea why...
Old 05-22-2019, 06:38 AM

Okay my turn to add to this post since I finally played a GP and my GC yesterday. The only thing they had was a 317 in stock so I can only comment on it but I absolutely loved it! I am a flatpicker and it was so much more responsive to strumming and heavy strumming as apposed to my Taylor GA guitars. I want to try the 517 and the 717 before I make any decisions about buying one but I have to say, I really want one now. It is a very different animal for Taylor but in a very good way. I can't comment on how it stacks up with other brands of dreads since I generally don't play dread shapes. I know some have said it lacks volume and maybe it does up against other dread shaped guitars but I honestly didn't notice any lack of volume when I played it.
But as far as Taylors go it a very nice alternative to the the GA models I play.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 05-22-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
Okay my turn to add to this post since I finally played a GP and my GC yesterday. The only thing they had was a 317 in stock so I can only comment on it but I absolutely loved it! I am a flatpicker and it was so much more responsive to strumming and heavy strumming as apposed to my Taylor GA guitars. I want to try the 517 and the 717 before I make any decisions about buying one but I have to say, I really want one now. It is a very different animal for Taylor but in a very good way. I can't comment on how it stacks up with other brands of dreads since I generally don't play dread shapes. I know some have said it lacks volume and maybe it does up against other dread shaped guitars but I honestly didn't notice any lack of volume when I played it.
But as far as Taylors go it a very nice alternative to the the GA models I play.
Thanks for the post!

I still have GAS for a 717, but I'm trying to determine how I will use it before I drop the coin so to speak. My D-18 and J-45 have the flat picking thing covered. I just don't see how in the world the 717 could be better at this than my Martin and Gibson. Maybe different, but certain not better. Then, there is my need for a dedicated DADGAD guitar. My 000-18 is filling that role, but I would like a bigger sound, hence the desire for the 717. My only real concern is that I am so partial to the Martin sound, that I'm wondering if I would grow tired of the 717 quickly. It is a joy to play, and I liked the sound of it, but I can't say I'm IN LOVE with the sound.

The 000-18 falls in the LOVE the sound department, but I just wish that sound was bigger. Then I sit back and realize that the 000-18 is actually great for home playing and recording, and if I ever needed a bigger DADGAD sound, they just don't get any bigger in sound than my D-18.

Then, there is the Nitro vs Poly thing for me still. I am very careful with the finishes on my Martins and Gibson. The Taylor just seems like it would be easy to take care of and with the matte finish, dings and scratches are not really all that noticeable I'd imagine.

Decisions decisions...
Old 05-22-2019, 08:39 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
Thanks for your review. Good to hear the thoughts of someone who’s playing style is similar to mine - heavy strumming with flat-picking embellishments. I like bold guitars that aren’t easily overdriven. I’ve got that base superbly covered already with my Martins (see sig). So I’m still not particularly interested in these GPs. But your thoughts on them encourage me to give them a try when I get the chance.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Thanks for your review. Good to hear the thoughts of someone who’s playing style is similar to mine - heavy strumming with flat-picking embellishments. I like bold guitars that aren’t easily overdriven. I’ve got that base superbly covered already with my Martins (see sig). So I’m still not particularly interested in these GPs. But your thoughts on them encourage me to give them a try when I get the chance.
My 000-18 just sold, so I'm going to be on the lookout for a good deal on a 717 now. Only problem is that I may way until Summer NAMM to see what new version if any they release.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:01 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
My 000-18 just sold, so I'm going to be on the lookout for a good deal on a 717 now. Only problem is that I may way until Summer NAMM to see what new version if any they release.
I think waiting is wise. Only certain shops are selling them now making finding a good deal difficult to find. Besides, at NAMM Taylor will probably breathlessly introduce ES3, making a current 717e obsolete.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I think waiting is wise. Only certain shops are selling them now making finding a good deal difficult. Besides, at NAMM Taylor will probably breathlessly introduce ES3, making a current 717e obsolete.

DEFINITELY not getting electronics on whatever I get. I’m not going down that road again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion