The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-21-2019, 01:56 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I think that would be the cream of the crop in the OP's price range.

That said, there are a TON of mics at half your budget or less that would do a VERY nice job....
That's very true. And just for record if I didn't mention it before I meant a used AKG 451. I just a got a second 451 for $300 in mint condition. Either way it is nice to have a bass roll-off, and even a pad sometimes. That said, I always like to mention I've had a great luck with a regular old SM58 many times. I don't like to fly with microphone only because it ALWAYS means TSA is going to take apart my carry-on when they see it in x-ray. But there's a always a 58 around, and they can be great in a big room on solo guitar -better than the 57, even though they're the same mic. Something about that Chicago made foam in the grill just does it
Old 05-21-2019, 07:18 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
That's very true. And just for record if I didn't mention it before I meant a used AKG 451. I just a got a second 451 for $300 in mint condition. Either way it is nice to have a bass roll-off, and even a pad sometimes. That said, I always like to mention I've had a great luck with a regular old SM58 many times. I don't like to fly with microphone only because it ALWAYS means TSA is going to take apart my carry-on when they see it in x-ray. But there's a always a 58 around, and they can be great in a big room on solo guitar -better than the 57, even though they're the same mic. Something about that Chicago made foam in the grill just does it
Yep - if you are patient you can get one of those "cadillac" mics for a very nice price!

I like the 58 (and the Blue Encore 100) better than the 57 too - seems to be a bit warmer to my ear!

Old 05-21-2019, 07:42 PM

For $400.00 you can get a pair of sE Electronics SE8s. Good for studio or live, they have switchable HPF at 80hz and 160hz. For live stage situations. it'll keep stage rumble and mud out of the mix. They also come with a -10db, and -20db pad. The SE8 also has a flatter eq response along the lines of the KM84
https://youtu.be/HQJ1JHjDtSA
Old 05-21-2019, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

I’m learning about some great options to explore - thanks!
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 05-22-2019, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo21 View Post
I had the exact same DPA mic and it was truly awful and it was on a Taylor 410 It produces feedback that I couldn’t control despite trying all sorts via a desk, amp and combination of both. I have a friend who has one and his doesn’t feedback but he struggles to get the volume up before it does feedback. It seems that some people get great results from this mic but others don’t. I sent mine back. That said I know it’s an industry standard piece of kit and maybe I just got something wrong, although I don’t think I did.

What I found was that I couldn’t get the volume either and the gain on the desk had to be really low. When it fed back I couldn’t adjust the EQ to get rid.
I really don't understand what could have been wrong with your mic or the placement. I never had any issue with my DPA mics, neither with my old 4099G and FIDB00 combo, nor with the Core 4099G and Core 4288 combo I'm using now.

Maybe it's because I'm using the DPA gooseneck extension for the 4099G, to keep it from being to close to the guitar and being able to place the mic over the fretboard between the 12th and 14th fret. The proximity effect can result in a feedback issue, when you're miking to close and the bass becomes all boomy.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:59 AM

see if you cant find a used neuman km184.
they are awsome.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:35 AM

see if you cant find a used neuman km184.
they are awsome.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbound View Post
I'm playing shows and events for Taylor Guitars Europe and I use a DPA 4099G Core small diaphragm condenser mic. The 4099 series mics are directly attached to the instrument and need no stand. They move with the instrument and are always in the desired position. It is very neutral, doesn't color the sound of your guitar, is resistant to feedback and easy to use. It's a bit east of your budget, but it's worth considering.

There are different solutions for attaching the mic to an instrument, but you could use the guitar clip with a banjo.

Here I'm using my DPA mics in a very noisy situation, with simultanious music from three different stages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqkkzunNwlw
That is some beautiful playing!
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 05-22-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

I prefer a mic on a stand to a small mic mounted on my guitar. By getting the mic out in front of the guitar you get a better blending of the sounds from the instrument's top, sound hole, and strings. An SM57 or SM81 works fine for me.

I did own a DPA 4099 and sold it. Audio Technica now has a new instrument mic with a guitar mount priced at $349 if you want to go that route. ATM350GL

FWIW I've had good experience with Audio Technica products although I have not tried this mic.

Last edited by Al Acuff; 05-22-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:59 AM

The Line Audio CM3 is a superb choice at around $160 and about as transparent as you can get. It's the only acoustic mic I use and a fave amongst the crowd on Gearslutz forums holding it's own against the Octava mods and even the rare KM84 ($1500+). It has a ruler flat frequency response and about the size of half a cigar. They are handmade in Sweden by one guy. There is also an omni version and matched preamp

Another top choice is the Shure KSM137($300) with it's rolloff options, pad and a smooth bump in the treble range. The Shure SM81 is another option and probably the most favored mic for acoustic ($349)

There are several mic shootouts on youtube which really help and the ones mentioned above always seem to show up

Last edited by ACOUSTICDEWD; 05-22-2019 at 09:07 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification