The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-25-2011, 10:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble View Post
I really like the new brand...Very different than my SD...

Chris
This isthe brand like the one on Chris' SD

Although the photo (above) shows the color a little better, I think the "new" brand works better on this model.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Perennially Maladroit

[QUOTE=John Osthoff;2529171]This is the brand like the one on Chris' SD

I agree with the use of the 'modern' logo brand on the new model, and the more traditional brand for the SD. Both look cool.

Is it too late to get all my Osthoffs 'branded'?

Old 03-07-2011, 06:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here is a little more progress on Chris’ guitar. Things are going slow (but good.) This first shot is just a look at the back all braced up. I will do some more “modal analysis” (nonsense) to get the bracing where “I” want it to but it is very close to where “I” want it now.

Speaking of nonsense, her is a look at one of the modes of top and in particular this one is related to the stiffness along grain. What impressed me about this top is the symmetry of the pattern(s,) and once braced I will be able to look a little closer at the “free plate modes” to help “guide” me in my decisions during the final carving (voicing) stage of the top. While this stuff gives me numbers and visual representations, I also do a lot of traditional tapping/flexing/sniffing/feeling/listening/scratching etc. It is all of this feedback information that I use to guide me in making decisions about the voicing process.

This photo shows the Upper Traverse Brace being dry-fitted. This brace has piece of carbon fiber going across the top. I think I commented earlier on some of the testing I did to finalize on this design. Howard Kleeper does something similar and when I was working on some other designs, I came across a picture of what Howard was doing and this one seemed easy (and easy is good.) The testing gave me good results and decided to go on with it. The smoke Lexan fixture is there to position the Upper Traverse Brace exactly where I want it as it will eventually tie to and become part of the fretboard extension/neckblock system.

Here the “oversized” x-brace is being glued down on the go-bar deck. It will get craved and shaped as part of the “voicing” process.

I also got the ebony binding bent. Ebony can be a challenge to bend, but this went well (so far.) I also bend the side purfling without gluing it to the binding as sometimes the heat from the bending process can release the glue. It is more difficult to bend a .020” thick piece of (in this case blue) purlfing material along is longer axis, but when it all comes together, this results in a nice seam.

That’s it for now … a lot of carving/tapping/listening/testing coming up this week, so there probably won’t be too many pretty pictures in the near future but hopefully some progress will be made.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

A little more progress on Chris's guitar,

This shot shows the upper inside guts of the guitar after the top was attached.

After that the back got glued on (didn't get any pictures of the process) but now it was time to cut out for the tail wedge.

Here the wedge is being fitted and glued in

A look at the wedge after trimming

One more look with the hole drilled for the electronics end-pin jack. (I like the way you can see the make-up of the heel block through the end-pin jack hole)

In the meantime I was getting the neck ready. Here are the raw parts that will make up the neck.

The neck blank in process of getting glued together.

A few clamps on the neck blank

Just a look at the body and neck blank meeting each other for the first time.

I then got working on the binding/purfling. So far I got the back bound.

Hopefully I will get the top bound later today. That's all for now.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:58 AM

i really like the blue purfling. not too many people using blues these days - mostly just red and green. good work!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:41 AM
*mahoganut*

Very nice work, John.

It's great watching it come together!

Phil
Old 03-15-2011, 04:33 AM

John,

That looks great. The binding and purfling look perfect.

Chris
and some nice guitars...
Old 04-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

John - I assume you're working hard on your show guitars. Too hard to put up some pix?
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 04-10-2011, 12:09 AM

John,

That's looking great. I am getting a fantastic reaction to your OOO-12 and looking forward to the next one and meeting you at Healdsburg.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osthoff View Post
A little more progress on Chris's guitar,

This shot shows the upper inside guts of the guitar after the top was attached.

Howard/John. I like this idea for the transverse. Makes lots of sense and is easy to implement. I'm going to be trying this on my next one. What thickness stock did you use for a cap?
Old 04-10-2011, 01:24 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thumbs up

Looking great, John! I love the new brand

JR
Old 04-10-2011, 02:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Robert for bring this thread "back up." I have made some progress on the neck, but it has been tough going with a lot of new design. I have taken some photos of the process but I have been reluctant to post them as I am not sure if this neck is a "keeper." I have learned a lot about my design with this prototype and I know the design is good, but the some of the process (in implementing the design) still needs work. We'll see. Regardless, I will see if I can process some of the photos later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Howard/John. I like this idea for the transverse. Makes lots of sense and is easy to implement. I'm going to be trying this on my next one. What thickness stock did you use for a cap?
John, yes I do think this makes sense and like you say it is easy to implement. I did some testing on this so it proves out. I used .020" (I think Howard did too.) I am going to go a with a little more taper where it "tucks" in on the next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Moyle View Post
John,

That's looking great. I am getting a fantastic reaction to your OOO-12 and looking forward to the next one and meeting you at Healdsburg.
Thanks Trevor,
Good news on the 000-12
Yes I will be getting the OM going soon although it may be a little more of summer project. What do you think, should we do a build thread for that one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Looking great, John! I love the new brand

JR
Thanks JR, I like it too.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:04 AM

Hi John,

A build thread sounds good to me.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Ok, I have been a little remiss in keeping this build thread up to date. Anyhow the guitar has been ready for finish for a while, but the progress pictures have not been put up here on the site. A while back I had almost finished up the neck but there were a couple of things (that even for a prototype) I did not like ... and as such that I decided to start over. This set some things back in the prgress a little bit. So I plan to process some of the build photos and get this thread more up to date over the next couple of days. For those of you that have been looking, thanks for your patience.

Here is a look at the almost completed neck that I scrapped meeting the new neck blank that eventually became the neck for this guitar.

Last edited by John Osthoff; 05-12-2011 at 06:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-12-2011, 01:47 PM

Are you able to save that pretty headstock overlay?

Chris
and some nice guitars...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop