The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-08-2021, 11:25 AM

Default Tried to take a pic of 4 nebula

Haven't seen many wide field shots with these 4 nebula so I decided to try:

There are three in the lower left (one is completely blown out and two are small) and one in the top right. I don't like that one is blown out, but I kind of got what I wanted.

A point to note here is the size of the larger two. The stars in a row at the bottom are Orion's belt which are very visible and fairly long in the night sky. So, one can get a sense in how large some of these nebula are here. They're fairly large, but dim obviously. It would be amazing if our eyes were more sensitive.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-08-2021, 12:37 PM

I always enjoy these posts and your pics, thank you for posting them!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-08-2021, 12:40 PM

That’s really cool!
Old 03-09-2021, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
They're fairly large, but dim obviously. It would be amazing if our eyes were more sensitive.
These pics are so great.
Those stars in Orion's belt are some of the most visible in the sky and always clear to see with the naked eye, but as you point out they must be a heckuva lot brighter than the nebula next to it, or closer. The sky would sure look different if we could see better. I wonder if a sharp eyed eagle or any creature with much better visual acuity can/could see more of the night time sky than we can. Not that they are looking.
Thanks again for sharing these wonderful images. Shooting them obviously takes a lot of time.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 03-09-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post

A point to note here is the size of the larger two. The stars in a row at the bottom are Orion's belt which are very visible and fairly long in the night sky. So, one can get a sense in how large some of these nebula are here. They're fairly large, but dim obviously. It would be amazing if our eyes were more sensitive.
Indeed. Most people do not realize the scale of things. There are objects that are BIG, just faint. That is why I sometimes surprise people when they ask about magnification and I tell that I wish I had a big telescope (giving me more light) with ZERO magnification. Here are some objects at the same scale.

Moon and Andromeda galaxy:

Moon and M101 (a galaxy in Ursa Major)

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic