The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-06-2021, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Metallica ? No,,,,, by the time they hit the scene I had moved on to mostly Folk Rock

Probably just the age difference, but I was a fan of one of the groups, felt by many, to have been on the leading edge of what was to become "Metal" .... Iron Butterfly
Some even claim this instrumental "Theme" song from their debut album , may have given birth to the genre

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-06-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
I am a fan. I used to stay awake as an 11 year old and listen to “Mandatory Metallica” and I loved it.

Based on this anniversary, I’m going to try to learn the bass part to “Master”

This post from Niel ☝️is really funny.
How is it funny? I'm going on the record to say that I've never really liked them. From my perspective Metallica jumped the shark in 1991 and fully sold out in 1996 but heavy metal had been dead for a decade and even grunge was on the decline. Back in the early days we called it "thrash" but I often dropped the H. I find that their music lacks melody; back in those days I was listening to Randy Rhoads and Yngwie Malmsteen among other more classically trained guitarists - though they were relatively "flashes in the pan" compared to Metallica.

BTW if you misspell my name like that add a 'g' in middle to properly Anglicize it. I've always liked the name "Nigel" and its ties to This Is Spinal Tap. He was louder than Kirk. His amps go to 11. Lars is a quitter too; he never played to the point of exploding.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Lars is a quitter too; he never played to the point of exploding.
But I bet he's left a few stains and globules on his kit over the years!

Old 03-06-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
How is it funny? I'm going on the record to say that I've never really liked them. From my perspective Metallica jumped the shark in 1991 and fully sold out in 1996 but heavy metal had been dead for a decade and even grunge was on the decline. Back in the early days we called it "thrash" but I often dropped the H. I find that their music lacks melody; back in those days I was listening to Randy Rhoads and Yngwie Malmsteen among other more classically trained guitarists - though they were relatively "flashes in the pan" compared to Metallica.

BTW if you misspell my name like that add a 'g' in middle to properly Anglicize it. I've always liked the name "Nigel" and its ties to This Is Spinal Tap. He was louder than Kirk. His amps go to 11. Lars is a quitter too; he never played to the point of exploding.

Rumor goes that his Les Paul is still sustaining that note today.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Sorry Neil, I'm going to have to strenuously disagree with you. Like yourself, I love classically influenced rock, some of my favorite bands being Savatage, Trans Siberian Orchestra and especially Ozzy during the Rhoads years. In fact I used to be able to play a few of Rhoads' songs, and "Dee" was the first acoustic fingerstyle song I ever learned.

Of the "Big 4" thrash bands that have enjoyed commercial success (Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth and Metallica), Megadeth and Metallica have more classically influenced flavors by far than the other two, and really in any thrash metal out there. All you need to do is listen to Metallica's early work under producers from that era (John Zazula and Flemming Rassmussen) to hear the classical influence and direction of the band.

Also, it cannot be understated the classical influence of late bassist Cliff Burton on the band. Even Metallica's first album after Cliff's death is huge with classical influence despite having a new producer and bassist. In fact, it wasn't until producer Bob Rock that Metallica's sound changed (the "Black" album, and not for the better in my opinion). Bob is a talented producer no doubt, and had he done work with Metallica from the onset I would probably enjoy Metallica's direction under him more than I do today. But he is to aggressive thrash what Mutt Lange is to pop/hard rock. Under Rock's production influence the music became much more pop friendly and palatable for radio play. And, since I have "old' Metallica vs. "new" Metallica to make comparisons, I enjoy the old Metallica much more and because of the classical, almost orchestrative, flavors of the music. Ironically in 2000 Metallica went on to record "S&M" with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra. How does that happen unless the music is at least somewhat compatible?

Here is Cliff Burton playing "Anesthesia". You certainly hear classical inspired licks than anything else, and it isn't until Lars kicks in with the drums that you hear the tune turn more bluesy. Cliff wrote much of Metallica's early material.

Last edited by steelvibe; 03-06-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:23 PM

Anyone remember the Grammy Awards show in '89 that featured the first Metal Performance Grammy award? Metallica was nominated and should have one but Jethro Tull won. Really??? Such a misjustice. It just shows what a joke the awards show was in their respect for metal music.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Anyone remember the Grammy Awards show in '89 that featured the first Metal Performance Grammy award? Metallica was nominated and should have one but Jethro Tull won. Really??? Such a misjustice. It just shows what a joke the awards show was in their respect for metal music.
Yep, I remember that. Even Ian Anderson has joked about it. I liked metallica and Jethro tull both, still do, but that was absurd.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

I discovered Metallica with "Puppets" and then went back into their first couple of albums, thanks to a neighborhood friend, who was always up on the metal. I saw them for the first time 33 years ago, this week, during the "Justice" tour (which I ended up seeing three times). And that show was also Jason Newsted's birthday, which turned out to be incredibly ironic, looking back at how they mistreated him during those years and that they completely mixed down all the bass parts on that album (there are some good remixes online).

I saw them a couple more times in the 1990s and would still see them again under the right circumstances, although their music and my tastes have grown further apart. I LOVE their original "Garage Days" EP, and I think they're incredibly talented, especially Kirk Hammett, who I enjoyed since his time with Exodus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
That was the last time I watched the Grammys with any respect or interest. I'll still catch performances the next day online, but as a 16yo watching Metallica lose to Tull, I realized how out of touch these awards were/are.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:49 AM

Casual infrequent fan here. If/when I suddenly require a burst of very loud and driving metal, I tend to go the Rammstein way. But only when I am alone in the house. And, as I am nearing the end of my 60s (+ bad tinnitus) I find these urges far and few between. More into low key “zen” stuff anymore.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I discovered Metallica with "Puppets" and then went back into their first couple of albums, thanks to a neighborhood friend, who was always up on the metal. I saw them for the first time 33 years ago, this week, during the "Justice" tour (which I ended up seeing three times). And that show was also Jason Newsted's birthday, which turned out to be incredibly ironic, looking back at how they mistreated him during those years and that they completely mixed down all the bass parts on that album (there are some good remixes online).

I saw them a couple more times in the 1990s and would still see them again under the right circumstances, although their music and my tastes have grown further apart. I LOVE their original "Garage Days" EP, and I think they're incredibly talented, especially Kirk Hammett, who I enjoyed since his time with Exodus.

That was the last time I watched the Grammys with any respect or interest. I'll still catch performances the next day online, but as a 16yo watching Metallica lose to Tull, I realized how out of touch these awards were/are.
Garage Days was great, as was the double CD Garage Inc.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:11 PM

Kill em all and up to AJFA is still palyed around the house from time to time.
MOP is by far their best album.
Saw them in 97 the first time and i’ve seen them three times after that.
Didnt care for what the did after And justice but i enjoy Loas and Reload for what it is (some strange country/metal/grove/rock).
Old 03-07-2021, 09:05 PM

I'm a fan of their stuff up until the Black Album, I haven't had interest in stuff afterwards but recently I've been planning a journey through all their stuff chronologically so I can have a more informed opinion on all their phases.

I'm personally a bigger Megadeth fan overall, but those first few Metallica albums are real bangers, so many incredible riffs. Megadeth's Rust In Peace album is still probably the greatest thrash album of all time to my ears; they come out with one of the best metal songs ever written (Holy Wars) and it ends, and before you can say "HOLY SH-" Hanger 18 starts blaring, which is probably my favourite Megadeth song ever! Talk about a 1 - 2 punch! it's so subjective I know. I also want to do the chronological journey with Megadeth.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
I'm a fan of their stuff up until the Black Album, I haven't had interest in stuff afterwards but recently I've been planning a journey through all their stuff chronologically so I can have a more informed opinion on all their phases.

I'm personally a bigger Megadeth fan overall, but those first few Metallica albums are real bangers, so many incredible riffs. Megadeth's Rust In Peace album is still probably the greatest thrash album of all time to my ears; they come out with one of the best metal songs ever written (Holy Wars) and it ends, and before you can say "HOLY SH-" Hanger 18 starts blaring, which is probably my favourite Megadeth song ever! Talk about a 1 - 2 punch! it's so subjective I know. I also want to do the chronological journey with Megadeth.

Rust In Peace is top five of my greatest metal albums of all time list. Better than anything from Metallica.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Rust In Peace is top five of my greatest metal albums of all time list. Better than anything from Metallica.
Nice! What are your top 5 anyway?
Old 03-08-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Nice! What are your top 5 anyway?

No particular order because they trade places. But AJFA is never above RIP.

Rust In Peace - Megadeth
Ashes Of The Wake - Lamb Of God
Vulgar Display Of Power - Pantera
Blackwater Park - Opeth
And Justice For All - Metallica

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic