The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-03-2021, 07:56 AM

Default K&K + Voiceprint low level signal

Hi, just got a voiceprint (probably I'm among the very first ones in Europe) and I'm testing it on a K&K equipped Lowden. Probably because of the pickup installation or probably because of the quite thick rosewood soundplate that comes with modern Lowdens, the signal is pretty weak. However, with the VP this is more an issue than with other preamps. When I record a VP the mic is at 40-50% of the gain, while the pickup is 10-20%, barely making to led the lights. I guess this is not optimal for recording an IR. With other guitars/pickups (Lyric, Barbera, another a bit hotter K&K) the mic signal is however always a tad stronger than the pickup. I'm thinking to put a sort of basic preamp/booster in front of the VP, both for IR generation and play back. I'm leaning towards a Lehle sunday driver which can be found easily for 50-60 bucks. What do you think? Am I doing something wrong? Have you had the same issue? thx
Old 03-03-2021, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post
Hi, just got a voiceprint (probably I'm among the very first ones in Europe) and I'm testing it on a K&K equipped Lowden. Probably because of the pickup installation or probably because of the quite thick rosewood soundplate that comes with modern Lowdens, the signal is pretty weak. However, with the VP this is more an issue than with other preamps. When I record a VP the mic is at 40-50% of the gain, while the pickup is 10-20%, barely making to led the lights. I guess this is not optimal for recording an IR. With other guitars/pickups (Lyric, Barbera, another a bit hotter K&K) the mic signal is however always a tad stronger than the pickup. I'm thinking to put a sort of basic preamp/booster in front of the VP, both for IR generation and play back. I'm leaning towards a Lehle sunday driver which can be found easily for 50-60 bucks. What do you think? Am I doing something wrong? Have you had the same issue? thx
Actually the lights during training don’t always light up as much as I would expect. I assumed it’s just how the app is. It would be interesting to hear from other users but I do not think it is a problem with your pickup.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Actually the lights during training don’t always light up as much as I would expect. I assumed it’s just how the app is. It would be interesting to hear from other users but I do not think it is a problem with your pickup.

I’ve had the same experience with the pickup output being lower than the mic. I’ll have to ask Caleb at LR Baggs about this. Even when I created my VP with the Lyric (active pickup) the lights indicated that the mic was hotter. With the passive M1 sound hole pickup the output was even less.

That said it only took a few adjustments with the VP level to make the the volume of the VP and PU match.

I am super happy with the results I’m getting with my McIlroy AP25 + Lyric as well as my Taylor 712 12 fret + ES2.
Line6 Pod Go ("Helix Lite")

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-1...c00vCM5OTc-dmA
Old 03-06-2021, 03:11 PM

I have just tried to insert a K&K preamp in front of the VP and I like the result much more. The tone is more articulated, clean and dynamic, like when you have a better gain stage. I tested it only via headphone however. I tend to think that the VP is not meant to act as a proper preamp but the level parameter are just to balance the signal.. at least with passive pickups..
Old 03-06-2021, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have just tried to insert a K&K preamp in front of the VP and I like the result much more. The tone is more articulated, clean and dynamic, like when you have a better gain stage. I tested it only via headphone however. I tend to think that the VP is not meant to act as a proper preamp but the level parameter are just to balance the signal.. at least with passive pickups..
I will have to try this.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I will have to try this.
Please, let us know. I have created a new voiceprint making sure to match the signal strength between pickup and mic and kept exactly the same levels afterwards in playback.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Please, let us know. I have created a new voiceprint making sure to match the signal strength between pickup and mic and kept exactly the same levels afterwards in playback.

Did the gain stage change the pickup output level on the vpdi? Was it closer to the mic output ? Thanks

Old 03-06-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eucatastrophe View Post
Did the gain stage change the pickup output level on the vpdi? Was it closer to the mic output ? Thanks
Yes, I set it to match the mic and then kept it at the same level.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, I set it to match the mic and then kept it at the same level.

Nice! I was hoping to use my old passive LR Baggs IBeam and used a gain stage too because I couldn’t get a strong enough signal without it. But there was just too much white noise from the gain stage. I’m glad it worked out for you.

I’ve been thinking about installing the K&K or Ultratonic in my McIlroy so I can just set it and forget it. Would love to know how you think it sounds in a live setting!

Old 03-06-2021, 05:21 PM

You are right that the VPDI is not truly a preamp like the Venue. Caleb from LR Baggs confirmed that it does not actually have a gain stage. This was done to create a compatibility for a wide range of instruments. It seems that we’re supposed to make up for the level discrepancies after the VP is created within the app. But super low output pickups like the IBeam just can’t be brought up enough without a proper gain stage. Overall though I’ve heard that most folks have really liked the K&K and Vpdi combo! But from what you’ve said maybe they’d like it better with the gain stage!?!

Old 03-06-2021, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

I tried it. I don’t think it made any difference and I still had to turn up the Voiceprint level afterwards.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eucatastrophe View Post
You are right that the VPDI is not truly a preamp like the Venue. Caleb from LR Baggs confirmed that it does not actually have a gain stage. This was done to create a compatibility for a wide range of instruments. It seems that we’re supposed to make up for the level discrepancies after the VP is created within the app. But super low output pickups like the IBeam just can’t be brought up enough without a proper gain stage. Overall though I’ve heard that most folks have really liked the K&K and Vpdi combo! But from what you’ve said maybe they’d like it better with the gain stage!?!
Quote:
I tried it. I don’t think it made any difference and I still had to turn up the Voiceprint level afterwards.
I am not sure I've explained one thing correctly: I did put a preamp in front of the VP while creating a voiceprint, making sure the levels mic and pickup were a match. After creating the voiceprint, I kept the preamp in front of the VP and the result was better to my ears. Based on this, I think the VP is best after a real preamp, which might be also an Align Session pedal, as it has a gain stage. @Aerousa: did you remove the preamp in playback mode? and which pickup and preamp have you used? Because for me the difference was pretty obvious.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am not sure I've explained one thing correctly: I did put a preamp in front of the VP while creating a voiceprint, making sure the levels mic and pickup were a match. After creating the voiceprint, I kept the preamp in front of the VP and the result was better to my ears. Based on this, I think the VP is best after a real preamp, which might be also an Align Session pedal, as it has a gain stage. @Aerousa: did you remove the preamp in playback mode? and which pickup and preamp have you used? Because for me the difference was pretty obvious.
Ah yes I did remove it. I will try again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification