Africa 0 0%
Asia 1 0.89%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2021, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
Can't vote. No Canada on the list.
Also "Europe," "Africa" and "Asia" are far too vague, and what about Scandinavia?

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 03-02-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:50 AM

Midwest. I didn't vote.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 03-02-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Also "Europe," "Africa" and "Asia" are far too vague, and what about Scandinavia?

Glad you included us!

I love an hour’s drive from Stockholm, Sweden, but was born in London, England.

Guitars are mostly American, with two Japanese basses, a Mexican, and a couple of decent Chinese builds...

I think people are more likely to buy after genre of music rather than geography though styles often equate to geography...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-02-2021, 11:03 AM

I grew up in New Jersey, lived there for 34 years, now in New Hampshire. My location has no influence on my guitar choices. It did influence my musical tastes however. I grew up listening to street corner doo-wop, greasy rock and roll, and jazz. Here in New Hampshire I hear lots of acoustic (celtic, bluegrass), country and hard rock.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:32 AM

Clearly, your "poll" badly needs a "None of the above".
Old 03-02-2021, 11:46 AM

Just add it in the comments
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 03-02-2021, 12:03 PM

What happened to the Midwest?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-02-2021, 12:21 PM

I’m located approximately 20-30 minutes from Nazareth, Pa.
Visited many times over the years. Used to have a really nice Martin Guitar Owners picnic.
Have owned and still own two Martins, but Collings is my new favorite guitar.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Um, the US Southeast and Southwest are two extremely different creatures as are the Northeast and Northwest.

That said, I am from the Southeast.

Bob

Absolutely! You're really talking 4 different countries there (SE, SW, NE, NW). And inland vs coastal - huge difference. Instead of "West" you should call it "intermountain West". Most of Arizona and Nevada are more like Wyoming than they are like California.

And you completely left out the Midwest which is a very distinct region as well. You could (and really should) further divide that into upper and lower. Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois are very different from Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas.

And "from" means what? Where I was born? Where I grew up? Where I've lived most of my life? Where I live now?
Old 03-02-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
For those of you who don't know, I'm an American citizen who's never lived in the continental US (in other words, a Puerto Rican), and one of the most curious things for me is the fact that, depending on where we live or have grown up, we develop a likeness or distaste for certain guitars, which you may or may not know, influences the way we think about specific brands.

As a personal curiosity, where are you from?
What? Where's Canada? Where's Australia?

And if you just want American locations (as in the USA - versus North America, Central and South America)...that's fine. Then just list American locations.

Larrivee OM03...and representatives of other types!
Old 03-02-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdnh View Post
I grew up in New Jersey, lived there for 34 years...I grew up listening to street corner doo-wop, greasy rock and roll, and jazz...
Wasn't too much different for me growing up in a Brooklyn housing project, perhaps more R&B/soul in the mix...
Old 03-02-2021, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

I find it interesting to see how those of us in the USA (and perhaps other countries around the globe) really value our regional identification. Truth is, even within each individual state there are significant cultural differences & nuance. For example, here in New York State you could broadly say that there is New York City and the rest of us -- simply because of the shear size and population of "The City". I was born and raised in Western NY State, but my earliest guitar influences came from the Monterey, CA area where I bought my 1st Yamaha FG-110 and heard some great local music while stationed there in the Air Force. What a cool place Monterey was in the early 70's !!

Happy strumming my friends !

Cheers!
Old 03-02-2021, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I didn’t vote, but I identify as a mountaineer who got shifted to the Deep South when one job petered out and another opened up. I’d say that based on the flat tops of choice I’ve seen at folk gatherings in the Blueridge Mountains, I come from the tribe of Martin. True to form, I play a Martin, but it’s a 000 18 as opposed to the D models more prevalent when I was first performing on stages.

The tribe of Gibson is smaller where I’m from. When playing in song circles or group jams, I tote my J 50, as it occupies a different sonic space from the Martins of the other players.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-02-2021, 02:27 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm from East Tennessee, the southern end of the Appalachian Mountain range. From so far south we pronunce it "Apple-latch-ans" Even when I went off to college I went further south to the far southern end of the Appalachians. You would have every reason to expect me to be either a Martin or Gibson acoustic man but I was never a conformist.

Forty years ago I moved off east to the far northeastern end of the Southeast, called the Mid-Atlantic. This area is invisible to national weathermen. It's different out here. I miss my mountains.

My wife is from the Northeast. She was born on Long Island, NY. Her grandmother was from Scotland and didn't allow her duaghter, my wife's mother, to develop a New York accent. My wife's mother, in turn, wouldn't allow my wife to develop a New York accent. After elementary school my wife moved north to the Fingerlakes district in Upstate New York, which is considered Mid-Western. Occasionally she lets out a little of the Mid-Western accent when she has an "Eeeapple for a sneeeack." But that's about it. Otherwise her accent is radio standard. In high school she moved back south to to the Northeast by moving to New Jersey, right outside of "the city" NY,NY. Still no accent. Since she met me she's pickup up some Southern (Appalachian) dialect and pronunciation.

And so it goes in these United States.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-02-2021, 02:46 PM

San Antonio. It's probably why I have a chip on my shoulder and love freedom and liberty.

Don't get me fired up- Yeehaw!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic