The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-06-2021, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Concertina?

I need something else to struggle with learning to play like a hole in my head, but I can't quit looking at them. I have a picture of my grandfather with his fiddle and a guy sitting with him holding a squeeze box. I look at it every time I walk by. Anybody play one? Funny, I have the fiddle but I want to learn to play the squeeze box.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-06-2021, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

So my work friend is in the Buffalo Music Hall of Fame and had been nominated multiple times to the World Concertina Hall of Fame (but not inducted). He was a fixture around town and a polka master. Bobby Vinton recorded one of his songs

So no I don't play accordion or concertina but you don't hear many people mention them so I wanted to reply as part of the discussion on these instruments.

Sadly, Ron died from COVID a couple months ago

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-07-2021, 09:04 AM

My wife has recently taken up learning the concertina. She is a long-time piano and accordion player but is finding the concertina to be a tremendous mental workout.

If you do some research you’ll find several different styles - Anglo, English, duet, etc. Also 20 vs 30 button vs ???.

She suggested looking at concertinaconnection.com for info. She bought hers through buttonbox . com - they have a trade-in program on some of their instruments. These are like guitars though, they go from inexpensive to stupid expensive and the sound quality matches the cost. She has one of the cheapest right now to figure out if she wants to continue to play it but will use their upgrade program at some point.

There is also a fellow in, I believe, England who does free zoom group lessons on
Saturday mornings. I found him on concertina.net. And of course, there’s YouTube...

FWIW, we are not affiliated with any of these sites or businesses - I usually do the research and hand it to her to make decisions.

Good luck.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic